Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 17

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 17 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 17, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 17

I still want to know why he wasn't going to kill Lily. Otherwise it was interesting to see the whole incident for the first time.
Contributor
teriandcb
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:
I still want to know why he wasn't going to kill Lily. Otherwise it was interesting to see the whole incident for the first time.

Me too! I'm really confused by this chapter--when he talks about how his is the boy, do you think that means that Harry is a horcrux?
New User
zygi14
0 Kudos

I was confused when harry got attacked by the snake... i had to reread the page to understand. It seems like voldemort only wanted to kill harry... not Lily or James. Hmmmmm.
Contributor
offthewall86
0 Kudos

If you remember back to the prophecy, Voldemort acted in haste and assumed Harry was his main threat. So Lily and James need not necessarily be killed - note that Voldemort saw the kid on the way into the house and thought better of acting against him. Waste not, in a sense. Harry was the one he wanted and the only one whose death was non-negotiable.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I was confused and had to read parts of this chapter more than once. I couldn't figure out how the snake could be disguised as a person...

As for Harry being a Horcrux, there is an incantation involved in making one. Voldemort says nothing about an incantation and we are getting the play-by-play of what happened. I don't see how it's possible for Harry to be a Horcrux. I think we were just getting a glimpse of the fact that Voldemort transfered some of his power into Harry and that this connection was forged between them.

What surprised me most in this chapter was that Voldemort does appear to have gone to the Potters alone, and I've believed there was someone else there for a long time.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
JaYzRICH
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:
I was confused and had to read parts of this chapter more than once. I couldn't figure out how the snake could be disguised as a person...

As for Harry being a Horcrux, there is an incantation involved in making one. Voldemort says nothing about an incantation and we are getting the play-by-play of what happened. I don't see how it's possible for Harry to be a Horcrux. I think we were just getting a glimpse of the fact that Voldemort transfered some of his power into Harry and that this connection was forged between them.

What surprised me most in this chapter was that Voldemort does appear to have gone to the Potters alone, and I've believed there was someone else there for a long time.

Yeah It really surprised me as well, I thought there was atleast someone with him just in case.
Contributor
momoflpa
0 Kudos

i was confused also but i was also on the verge of tears.. reading what he did to lily and james and how she baeged for harry i was so sad. and when he was at thier grave i felt so sorry. iam still woundering what the saying on thier tomb stone meant "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death".
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

The Order of the Pheonix explains why he wanted to kill Harry. But to get to Harry he had to kill james and Lily they wasn't just going to sit there and let LV do it! okay a hint because of the Prophecy.
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

How would Harry get a wand now? well at least we know that what ever was not suppost to happen when the 2 wands(Harry's and Voldy's) united isn't going to happen.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

dayrenm wrote:
How would Harry get a wand now? well at least we know that what ever was not suppost to happen when the 2 wands(Harry's and Voldy's) united isn't going to happen.

But the wand chooses the wizard. Maybe Hermione's right that Harry needs to give himself more credit than he gives his wand.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:

dayrenm wrote:

But the wand chooses the wizard. Maybe Hermione's right that Harry needs to give himself more credit than he gives his wand.

Yeah but there is still so much more to come, how will he perform magic?
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Contributor
Nimabu
0 Kudos

This will probably be a long night of reading since I've got like a million questions. I can't believe Harry looses his wand, what the hell is he supposed to do now? Hermione probably has something in her bag that can fix it. Where is Bathilda? Where is the sword? Did Ron go back to his parent's house? Did going back risk the whole family? Well, back to my bag of Cornnuts and the book.
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

This chapter was kind of confusing for me also. It was cool to see what really happened the night that Harry's parents died. They lost their lives because they wanted to save him. Voldemort wasn't even going after them. Just Harry. It was kinda sad to think about that. It's a little confusing when the snake is hiding inside of the woman. I didn't really get that part. I guess we have to keep reading to find out how the snake got into her.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

That chapter was awful! I mean, it was amazing, but my heart was pounding, and JKR really captured my attention. I kind of liked the confusing style, because it captured the moment.
I think Harry might be a Horcrux. Maybe that's why the locket attached to him, because it had found another piece of the soul of which it contains a piece. That's a good point about the incantation, but I don't think Voldemort intended to make Harry a Horcrux, so he might have done so accidentally. There might be a way to make a Horcrux without the incantation that Voldemort didn't know about. The title of the next chapter sounds interesting: "The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore". I wonder if it's only about Rita's book or if we will find out that Dumbledore had a few secrets in his past. My guess is that it's the latter.
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

momoflpa wrote:
i was confused also but i was also on the verge of tears.. reading what he did to lily and james and how she baeged for harry i was so sad. and when he was at thier grave i felt so sorry. iam still woundering what the saying on thier tomb stone meant "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death".

maybe it has to do with the story of death and the three brothers. death was an enemy to them and maybe it referred back to them.
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 196 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: