Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
BillP
Posts: 405
Registered: ‎09-25-2006
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 18

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 18 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 18, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎06-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18

There is no doubt in my mind that there is far more to it than we've seen so far regarding what Rita Skeeter writes in her Dumbledore "Biography". So what she used Veritaserum, you aren't lying if you tell what you suspect, but that doesn't make it true. Dumbledore cared about Harry, I have no doubt.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
Posts: 1,053
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18

Dumbledore did care about Harry. It's one thing that he did tell the kid.

But do you think that Dumbledore and Grindelwald were actually friends? I don't know what to make of Dumbledore's supposed letter. I think there's more to it than that, if the letter is even real.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
JaYzRICH
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎07-22-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18

Dumbledore definitly cared about Harry, everyone even knew he was his favorite student of all time. He trusted Harry at all times even if it wasn't with his past but with the things that were going to help Harry destroy Voldemort.
Contributor
stellaa37
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎07-22-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18

It is really nice to finally get a little background on hogwarts old headmaster... Its hard to believe some of this stuff a) Because its Rita SKetter and her Quick Quote Quill at hand her b) because it's hard to beleive that Dumbledore would ever do anything bad.
I know the real truth will come out!
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Contributor
iDigHermione
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎07-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18

Alright, Dumbledore definitely cared about Harry, there's no doubt. As already stated, it was clearly known that Harry was Dumbledore's favorite student. I believe Dumbledore chose not to share information regarding the grave site in Godric's Hollow (the fact that his mother and sister were burried in the same area as Harry's parents) because information about identity regarding one's family is a personal journey that every human being should venture alone. On a seperate note, maybe at one time, Dumbledore did in fact want to use magic to rule over Muggles, but with age, comes wisdom. Dumbledore's years spent at Hogwarts were great ones, and Harry should be proud of his TRUTHFUL relationship with Dumbledore.

Unrelated, why the hell don't Hermione and Harry disapparate (spelling? the one time I needed to go back and find it printed to correct spelling, I couldn't find it) to the Burrow under the Invisability Cloak and visit with everyone, make up with Ron, and rest? Harry doesn't have the trace on him anymore. Harry and Hermione could just send one of thi messenger cats or whatever to inform those at the Burrow that they were coming at the top of that hill where everyone comes to the Burrow because of those enchantments that won't allow disapparating (sp?) within x amount of feet around the Burrow.

Also, I know that Harry has to be the one to kill Voldemort and that Dumbledore entrusted him with the knowledge to hunt and destroy the Horcruxes (and the permisson to share it with Hermione and Ron), but hell, Harry needs help. He can't keep hiding. He needs all of the wizards who aren't Death Eaters on his side. No one in the right mind would think that Harry killed Dumbledore. Why isn't Harry helping himself?
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
Posts: 1,053
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18



iDigHermione wrote:
Unrelated, why the hell don't Hermione and Harry disapparate (spelling? the one time I needed to go back and find it printed to correct spelling, I couldn't find it) to the Burrow under the Invisability Cloak and visit with everyone, make up with Ron, and rest? Harry doesn't have the trace on him anymore. Harry and Hermione could just send one of thi messenger cats or whatever to inform those at the Burrow that they were coming at the top of that hill where everyone comes to the Burrow because of those enchantments that won't allow disapparating (sp?) within x amount of feet around the Burrow.




Personally, I think it's a very good thing they haven't thought to try that. Remember back to chapter 1 when we learned that Snape has an informant that knew when and where Harry would be moved? If they showed up for a visit, someone might share the information with Snape. Also, the family is probably being watched so incredibly closely that I don't think it's possible for them to see Harry and Hermione and no one find out about it. Besides, they can't take the chance.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
Posts: 256
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18

I think that the duo has to find help from the order, or at least those in dd's army. Maybe Ron will show up with the gang. And Btw where are the Dudleys?
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
Posts: 90
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18

This is the first time I got weepy (not that other parts of the book haven't moved me). I can understand Harry's frustration. I found this similar to how Harry felt when he found out how cruel James and his friends were to Severus. Harry is left to deal with the mistakes they made in the past. Everyone passes it off as them just being young, but Harry is the same age and is left with all of the burdens. He can't afford to make the same mistakes and to just be young.

Even though I don't believe Rita's story is entirely true, I can understand how Harry feels betrayed by DD because he had fully trusted him without knowing anything about who he was before he became the DD we all know and love. It doesn't seem fair. I finally understand Harry's anger and frustration.
New User
ghostbuster
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎07-21-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 2

Even though Rita Skeeter has been known to stretch stories and lie alot, I was actually suprised that her story on Dumbledore isn't fiction.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎06-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 2



ghostbuster wrote:
Even though Rita Skeeter has been known to stretch stories and lie alot, I was actually suprised that her story on Dumbledore isn't fiction.




What makes you say it's not. We already know that she's lying at least in regards to Harry Potter, I'm sure that much more of it are also lies.
New User
ghostbuster
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎07-21-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 2

Yeah but she used veritaserum on Bagshot. Enough said.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 2



ghostbuster wrote:
Yeah but she used veritaserum on Bagshot. Enough said.




Two things to consider, though...

1) How much did Bathilda actually know? Sometimes things aren't what they seem to a neighbor... and

2) What difference does it make if Rita heard the truth from her? Rita doesn't write the truth even when she knows it...
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎06-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 2



Psychee wrote:


ghostbuster wrote:
Yeah but she used veritaserum on Bagshot. Enough said.




Two things to consider, though...

1) How much did Bathilda actually know? Sometimes things aren't what they seem to a neighbor... and

2) What difference does it make if Rita heard the truth from her? Rita doesn't write the truth even when she knows it...




Very good points Psychee
Contributor
jmljasmine
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎07-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 2

I completely agree. Rita might have heard the truth but didn't Harry tell the truth during his first interview with her? That, however, is not what her quick quotes quill wrote and she admitted to using that here.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
Posts: 394
Registered: ‎06-22-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18

I definitely think there's more to Dumbledore's story than what is presented in the book. It is Rita Skeeter, after all.
I think it's possible that Dumbledore and Grindelwald could have been friends and that Dumbledore may have once thought that wizards should rule over Muggles, but perhaps he realized the faults in his idea later on. And it does sound like Dumbledore gave Grindelwald his ideas, but didn't Einstein write a letter to the President of the U.S. that ultimately convinced him to use the atomic bomb in WWII? It could be like that, and Einstein always regretted having written that because it ended up being so destructive.
I understand why Harry is upset, though, because he feels like Dumbledore was lying to him and keeping things from him that were important.
I hope Ron comes back!!! I miss him!!!
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎07-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18

Dumbledore cared about Harry very much. That does not mean, however, that he told him everything about his life. Some things were meant to stay private.
Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 18



APenForYourThoughts wrote:
I definitely think there's more to Dumbledore's story than what is presented in the book. It is Rita Skeeter, after all.
I think it's possible that Dumbledore and Grindelwald could have been friends and that Dumbledore may have once thought that wizards should rule over Muggles, but perhaps he realized the faults in his idea later on. And it does sound like Dumbledore gave Grindelwald his ideas, but didn't Einstein write a letter to the President of the U.S. that ultimately convinced him to use the atomic bomb in WWII? It could be like that, and Einstein always regretted having written that because it ended up being so destructive.
I understand why Harry is upset, though, because he feels like Dumbledore was lying to him and keeping things from him that were important.
I hope Ron comes back!!! I miss him!!!




Interesting note about Einstein's change of heart, APen, and the coincidence of his shocking white hair almost makes me wonder at the possible inspiration for Dumbledore's character! I can't imagine what those times must have felt like, that so many scientists supported and worked on the bomb, but as an example of how time changes our minds, this is an excellent one.
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 210 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: