Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 19

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 19 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 19, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 19

So the locket had some connection to Ron, it affected him differently. Glad that the three of them are back together again. Still, more questions keep getting asked with precious few answers. Whose Patronus was that being the new favorite.

I never thought it would take 380 pages to destroy the first Horcrux, but maybe now that they've done one, the rest will be easier.
New User
max2062
0 Kudos

I think this was some sort of protection built into the locket for self preservation and if Harry had been the one to destroy it, it would have been taunting him regarding his own selfdoubts, i.e. who ever was there to destroy it it would have picked on them to try to make them stop. I don't think it has any connection to Ron.
New User
zygi14
0 Kudos

Finally they destoried it... diden't think ron would pull it off..
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Also very surprised no one has mentioned the alternate use for the Deluminator. Very interesting, perhaps that had something to do with DD knowing about the attack on Harry's parents as quickly as he did without someone being there. May have also explained how he knew of the goings on at Privet Drive so quickly if it works like a radio antenna as it seems to at the mention of certain names by certain people.
Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

Makes you wonder if there will be more things it might do?

allenctynimrod wrote:
Also very surprised no one has mentioned the alternate use for the Deluminator. Very interesting, perhaps that had something to do with DD knowing about the attack on Harry's parents as quickly as he did without someone being there. May have also explained how he knew of the goings on at Privet Drive so quickly if it works like a radio antenna as it seems to at the mention of certain names by certain people.

New User
zygi14
0 Kudos

So far there was a use for the sword and deluminater.... Now i wonder what use the book and snitch will have.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I just love how JKR handles emotional scenes like Harry being suddenly rescued from the jaws of death by Ron.... do we see a teary-eyed thank-you scene? No way. She gives us lines like this...

Ron, sputtering... "Are you mental?"
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Gosh, I was so determined to avoid this board like the plague until I finish the book, but I just can't stay away. Posting as I read is really fun, actually. I'm glad to see that the anti-spoiler charms are working. :smileyhappy:

Anyway, I'm so glad that Ron is back and I think that Harry's and Hermione's different reactions were totally within character. I agree with you, Psychee, about how great it was that Ron's first words to Harry were, "Are you mental?" I'm using paper to avoid looking ahead and as soon as I read those words, I knew immediately that it was Ron.

Interesting that there are other uses for the Deluminator. I sort of figured there must be, but I wouldn't have guessed that it worked sort of like a radio/guide. That Dumbledore is cool. As frustrating as the lack of knowledge is for Harry, I think that Dumbledore ultimately figures that if Harry can't work out the clues himself, he won't be able to defeat Voldemort anyway. (Don't know if that made sense to you all, but it sounded right in my head.)

Now, for the very first time in two years, I'm starting to waver in my certainty of Snape's evilness. Who cast that silver doe Patronus? And how did it lead Harry to the sword of Gryffindor? Is it possible that the doe is Snape's patronus and that it does, indeed, represent Lily, whose husband was able to transform into a stag? After I thought this, I recalled the punishment that Ginny, Neville, and Luna received for breaking into Snape's office: detention with Hagrid. Not with Filch, not with Snape himself, or with Amycus Carrow. With Hagrid. Someone that they actually like, and who happens to be a member of the Order.

Part of me has always hoped to be wrong about Snape. But now that I'm starting to think I might be, I desperately hope that I have always been right! I'm so torn!!!
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
JaYzRICH
0 Kudos

This scene was so great, well actually the chapter itself was great. Well at least now we could see that one of the objects Dumbledore left them is useful and i'm sure the other objects are useful as well. we will just have to wait and see. Back to reading!
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

RON ROCKS!! I am so glad he came back like some I was worried that maybe something happen to him.. And isn't it like Ron to splinch himself. LOL Rons a hoot.

On to Severus Snape I have always had a heart for this man I've always believed him to be good. Never a Doubt! I know he loved Lily and blames himself for a few things. I believe that Severus Is one of the braviest character's.
That is why I believe you are right about the Doe Patronus!
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Contributor
iDigHermione
0 Kudos

wait, so Snape's Patronus is definitely a Doe?
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

iDigHermione wrote:
wait, so Snape's Patronus is definitely a Doe?

No. We don't know for certain. I'm merely entertaining the possibility that it might be, since his Patronus has been intentionally kept secret and is supposed to be important. I hate the idea of Snape helping Harry mostly because the Good Snape debate tends to center around this notion that Dumbledore and Snape planned out the 'murder' and I just don't like the idea of Dumbledore asking someone to kill him. I would be okay with Snape turning out to be good IF it means that he didn't murder Dumbledore, but I don't believe in the Stoppered Death theory either.
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Glad to see Ron come back. I think that the rest of the horcrux hunting will have to be on the trios shoulders. I wished they had help from the order, but as DD said to Harry to only tell ROn and Hermione, it would be up to them and only them to find and destroy the horcruxes.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Furthermore, there had to be more to that deluminator than just turn on and off lights pretty cool. Now the snitch and the book must have more to add to this hunt.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
New User
shmrks
0 Kudos

How does Ron return to the burrow without alerting deatheaters? They would definitely be watching the Weasleys and for Ron to show up there and then leave doesnt seem to fit. Deatheaters are looking for Harry and can assume he is with HG and RW so they would be looking for those 2 as well.

Glad Ron is back but seeems unlikely to happen without putting everyone in jeopardy
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

This chapter was such a relief. I weren't looking good there for a while. Yeah! Ron is back. He is always good for a laugh. Now we got a clear picture of Ron's insecurities, and we are pretty clear on Harry's as well. But what are Hermione's. She is the only character that doesn't seemed flawed, besides being a know it all which comes in quite handy for the trio.

Wow, I am certainly from the Snape is Good camp, but I didn't even consider that the doe might be his. I was thinking it must be a woman. But that makes sense, who else would have had access to the sword and would have been able to find them. I was thinking Mrs. Weasly for a while, but that doesn't make sense. I am so glad that I am not the only one that is doing this chapter by chapter.

Finally a Horcrux is destroyed, poor Ron, but I think it helped there friendship for Harry to see what was bothering Ron, and for Ron to realize how much he is needed. I love the conversation Ron and Harry had after he saved him.
PAGE 379
"'You've sort of made up for it tonight,' said Harry. 'Getting the sword. Finishing off the Horcrux. Saving my life.'
'That makes me sound a lot cooler than I was,' Ron mumbled.
'Stuff like that always sounds cooler than it really was," said Harry. 'I've been trying to tell you that for years.'"

It really gave closure to the fight they had where Ron thought that Harry was dismissing the danger Ginny was in because he's been through worse. Anyway, I think Ginny is safe with Snape as Headmaster, but where is McGonical? Are all of the McGonical is evil folks already on the other board? I wish that Harry would pull out the maurauders a little more often and let us know what is going on at that school. I miss Hogwarts :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

coreen222 wrote:
Wow, I am certainly from the Snape is Good camp, but I didn't even consider that the doe might be his. I was thinking it must be a woman. But that makes sense, who else would have had access to the sword and would have been able to find them.

I really don't want Snape to be good, and the reason is simply that I just can't support the notion of Dumbledore allowing someone to kill him. I just can't. If it wasn't for that, I'd be behind Snape 100%. But at this point, this is the only thing that makes sense. I don't know who else had access to that sword. And giving the kids detention with Hagrid is a huge clue, I think.
Contributor
WIJen
0 Kudos

I am sooooooooooo excited Ron is back! I am mostly just happy that nothing happened to him or his family because he left.

When I read the table of contents and saw there was a chapter called The Silver Doe, I immediately thought of Lily becuase of Harry's patronus being the stag (his dad or whatever). It never occured to me that it would somehow have anything to do with Snape, but being a HUGE Snape supporter (I will be devestated if it's proven he's evil) I love the idea! I do think it's a big clue to Snape's loyalties that he gave them the punishment of being w/ Hagrid.

I'm so happy things are happening now, I was worried J.K. would try and squish everything into the last chapter quickly. I just hope it keeps going with this momentum!

Must read more............
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

WIJen wrote:
I'm so happy things are happening now, I was worried J.K. would try and squish everything into the last chapter quickly. I just hope it keeps going with this momentum!

Must read more............

Yes, unlike the other books, this has felt like one long climax to the entire series instead of starting out with introductory stuff. Each chapter is building the tension, building toward the final moment, and I believe this time, everything is happening for a reason. I haven't really seen anything so far that was just peripheral.
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 550 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: