Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 2

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 2 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 2, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 2

Frequent Contributor
joce14
0 Kudos

i thought rita would change after hermione found out that she was a animagus but i guess i was wong.but i just wounder what harry is going to do.
Jocelyn
Contributor
mermaidgirl
0 Kudos

I liked that the chapter juxtaposed the two articles about Dumbledore - the first from a friend and the second from Rita Skeeter. Elphias Doge's honorarium was very nice and enlightening about Dumbledore's youth. I could see similarities between Albus's time as a student at Hogwarts and Harry's time there. I believe that Rita's book is a trashy piece of fluff with the barest bones of truth hiding in plain sight. I wonder if we will learn more about Dumbledore's life, and how that will affect the rest of the book and the search for the Horcruxes.
New User
drseals
0 Kudos

Yeah, I think Rita is full of it. I just can't believe all those lies about Dumbledore. Poor Harry. I just want to hug him!
Contributor
mermaidgirl
0 Kudos

Does anyone have any thoughts about the piece of enchanted mirror that cut Harry's finger? I wondered if, like the wall in the cave in HBP, blood caused the reaction. When Harry's cut finger touched the edge of the mirror again, Harry saw the flash of blue. And what was the flash? A reflection of something or someone or something else?
Contributor
lhendrie
0 Kudos

mermaidgirl wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts about the piece of enchanted mirror that cut Harry's finger? I wondered if, like the wall in the cave in HBP, blood caused the reaction. When Harry's cut finger touched the edge of the mirror again, Harry saw the flash of blue. And what was the flash? A reflection of something or someone or something else?

I thought that when Sirus gave Harry this mirror it worked sort of like a walkie talkie. The other person had to have the mirror for you to see and talk to the person. However, it never mentioned that the mirror would work with someone who was dead.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

mermaidgirl wrote:

Do we know who has the other mirror?
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

In a way I think that Rita is doing this because of what Hermoine did when she caught Rita being an illegal animorph. She could also be under an imperious curse. But most likely I think that she is just plan mean.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
crazyauntsal
0 Kudos

lhendrie wrote:

mermaidgirl wrote:

I thought that when Sirus gave Harry this mirror it worked sort of like a walkie talkie. The other person had to have the mirror for you to see and talk to the person. However, it never mentioned that the mirror would work with someone who was dead.

Harry saw a flash of blue in the mirror though. I don't think Sirius had blue eyes. Maybe someone else has the other mirror now?
Frequent Contributor
iheartbooks
0 Kudos

Harry saw a flash of blue in the mirror though. I don't think Sirius had blue eyes. Maybe someone else has the other mirror now?

maybe the other half or piece of the mirror is with all the people that harry loved that have died. dumbledore, james, lily, & sirius (im sure some of them have blue eyes)
your heart is my pinata
Frequent Contributor
iheartbooks
0 Kudos

harry says that the only personal question that he asked dumbledore was also the only one he suspected that dumbledore did not answer honestly:

"What do you see when you look in the mirror?"
"I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks."

anyone have any ideas as to what the real answer might be? i think its probaly him with all of voldemort's horcruxes, but maybe he couldnt tell harry at the time because he still wasn't sure that he was correct about them even existing.
your heart is my pinata
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Okay, I lied when I posted for Chapter 1. I'm going to post every chapter, or almost every chapter, because I want to prolong the experience. This is the last book, after all. :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad: to infinity!!!
While reading Chapter 2, I had a thought about Dumbledore's response to Harry's question as to what he saw in the mirror. What if Dumbledore really did see thick, woolen socks, but it's symbolic? As we know, house elves are freed when they are given clothes by their master. Maybe Dumbledore's deepest desire was to be free from the torments of knowledge and secrets and mysteries and frustration and not knowing, so this manifested itself in the mirror as Dumbledore being given clothes, and therefore being freed? This is probably a completely stupid idea, but it's just a thought. I have no clue what Dumbledore really saw in the mirror. Off to read Chapter 3!!!!!

Message Edited by APenForYourThoughts on 07-22-2007 06:44 PM
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

At the very beginning of the novel, Rawlings quoted from William Penn's "More Fruits of Solitude". One line was very interesting: "In this divine glass, they see face to face ; and their converse is free, as well as pure."

Who did Harry see that had blue eyes? Was it Dumbledore in the glass looking back at him? A friend who has passed who "lives in one another still" or one of his parents maybe (did one of them have blue eyes?). That glint of blue has some meaning; I am just not sure of what or who and where are the other pieces of glass. (Does anybody remember that detail?)

The quote goes on to say: "This is the comfort of friends, that though they may be said to die, yet their friendship and society are, in the best sense, ever present , because immortal."

Both choices of quotes at the beginning of the novel give clues to what is to come I believe. (Aeschylus, "The Libation Bearers" and Penn in "More Fruits of Solitude".
New User
Poetic_Injustice
0 Kudos

i think rita stretched the truth i belive she has a few truths in her book but i bet more then half of it is mis quoted or just from her imagination. she is tryin to ruin dumbledore's reputation as revenge
New User
firebear369
0 Kudos

Poetic_Injustice wrote:
i think rita stretched the truth i belive she has a few truths in her book but i bet more then half of it is misquoted or just from her imagination. she is tryin to ruin dumbledore's reputation as revenge

I agree that rita has taken great liberties with truth in her 'biography'. However, I don't think that revenge was necessarily her goal. As a tabloid writer, her bread and butter is in sensationalized stories. Face it, everyone thrives on finding out the dirt on someone and a deceased individual is a great target that won't be able to fight back.

No, I think good ol' Rita is just looking to make a quick buck on the misfortune of a well known entity.
...soon we must choose between what is right and what is easy....
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

mermaidgirl wrote:

Yeah I was wondering about that. I think that we will hear more of that blue shade. It has to mean something. I think he would be able to communicate with someone, maybe get some info.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

APenForYourThoughts wrote:

While reading Chapter 2, I had a thought about Dumbledore's response to Harry's question as to what he saw in the mirror. What if Dumbledore really did see thick, woolen socks, but it's symbolic? As we know, house elves are freed when they are given clothes by their master. Maybe Dumbledore's deepest desire was to be free from the torments of knowledge and secrets and mysteries and frustration and not knowing, so this manifested itself in the mirror as Dumbledore being given clothes, and therefore being freed? This is probably a completely stupid idea, but it's just a thought.

Pen, I don't think this is a stupid idea at all. It goes along with the idea that Dumbldore needed the Pensive(sp?) to siphon off some of his thoughts because he has so much going on in his head. I'm sure he really would have liked to be free of it all.

narnianmum
Contributor
Loverbook
0 Kudos

I think that he saw Dumbledore. How would you explain the blue eyes? He may be dead but I would not be surprised if he still has an important role throughout the book, even in his afterlife.
Contributor
Loverbook
0 Kudos

I agree. Rita just wants to earn an extra buck for writing lies. She is just playing the game that every tabloid writer plays... with no ethics for the writing profession.
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 550 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: