Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 20

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 20 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 20, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Reader 2
Beth1026
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 20

Ron is finally the man. Way to go saving Harry!
I like how Ron is speculating about who's patronus is the Doe..I don't remember who's patronus goes with which character.
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Xeno Lovegood revealing what that mark was was cool and did the Lovegood's house surprise anyone? Also Xeno's invention based on Rowena Ravenclaw sounds like a crown type object to me hmmmmmmm?
Contributor
JaYzRICH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

allenctynimrod wrote:
Xeno Lovegood revealing what that mark was was cool and did the Lovegood's house surprise anyone? Also Xeno's invention based on Rowena Ravenclaw sounds like a crown type object to me hmmmmmmm?

I dont know but something sounds fishy about that Invention. And we're finally going to hear about The deathly Hallows.

Message Edited by JaYzRICH on 07-23-2007 03:24 PM
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I think that Xeno's apparent near-worship of Rowena Ravenclaw suggests that he might have an idea as to the location of something she onced owned, even though he won't have a clue that it's a Horcrux.

Nothing in this chapter particularly surprised me about Luna's house, Xeno's hesitation to help out despite urging others to do so. I did think it was cool the way Xeno so casually says that the symbol is the sign of the Deathly Hallows. Still don't know what those are, but they must not be the Horcruxes!

(Oh, and I was surprised that Ron hadn't gone home to the Burrow, although I thoroughly understand his reasons for not going there.)
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
momoflpa
0 Kudos

ok if anyone is thinking like i am.... the crown object worn by rowena rabenclaw....umm horcrux anyone? didnt DD say it had to be somthing todo with the other house at the school? the snake the tea cup the sword.... now this crown thing... they all have something to do with the horcrux either being on or helping destroy it... just guessing
Contributor
iDigHermione
0 Kudos

I didn't take notice to the invention regarding Ravenclaw in the Lovegood's house, but, Dumbledore definitely said that the Horcruxes were related to the four houses at Hogwarts.

I'm very pleased that I can put down the book for the night feeling contempt and happy as Harry, Ron, and Hermione can all sit comfortably with... eventually Luna.

Not that this particuarly pertains to Chapter 20, (no worries, I haven't read past chapter 20... so no spoilers) but... Voldemort is using his power to control the Ministry of Magic and thus alter the general public's mindset of Harry... you know, putting a price on his head by claiming that he might have killed Dumbledore. But, forever, Harry was Dumbledores favorite student and stodd next to him as he fought Voldemort. Harry is obviously agains't Voldemort... so why is the general public so easily influenced? The ministry has never cared about muggle-born witches and wizards before, but are now punishing them. WHy can't the general public realize that something is wrong... that the ministry they had always known, the one who not but weeks ago, posted ways to avoid inferi and what not (book 6) be so easily persuaded that Harry is posibly behind Dumbledore's death?

I don't know if any of that made sense. My laptop is about to die, so I just wanted to whip something out quick.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

iDigHermione wrote:
Not that this particuarly pertains to Chapter 20, (no worries, I haven't read past chapter 20... so no spoilers) but... Voldemort is using his power to control the Ministry of Magic and thus alter the general public's mindset of Harry... you know, putting a price on his head by claiming that he might have killed Dumbledore. But, forever, Harry was Dumbledores favorite student and stodd next to him as he fought Voldemort. Harry is obviously agains't Voldemort... so why is the general public so easily influenced? The ministry has never cared about muggle-born witches and wizards before, but are now punishing them. WHy can't the general public realize that something is wrong... that the ministry they had always known, the one who not but weeks ago, posted ways to avoid inferi and what not (book 6) be so easily persuaded that Harry is posibly behind Dumbledore's death?

I don't know if any of that made sense. My laptop is about to die, so I just wanted to whip something out quick.

The thing is that many people are programmed to believe that the government knows best. Look at what happened in New Orleans before and after Katrina. The local government kept telling the people that they weren't in any danger and that they could stay, so they stayed. And that's when the trouble began. In this case, there are basically four things going on: 1) there are folks siding with Voldemort because they believe that wizards should be the dominant "race"; 2) others are just plain scared and trying to protect themselves and their families by simply going along; 3) some people don't realize that Scrimgeour's assassination was really how it was and they probably believe that the government is in the process of a course-correction where things are still functioning, just not as smoothly and they need to count on the Ministry to solve the issues of the day (just look at all the people that were still going to work at the Ministry even after it had fallen to Voldemort); and 4) the few that are in all-out rebellion against Voldemort.

I'd say that the largest category is those that are expecting the government to take care of itself. Because of that, they aren't pinning their hopes on 17-year-old Harry Potter, and can be more easily convinced that his story about Dumbledore's death is just a little too convenient, etc.
New User
Pvega87
0 Kudos

I knew Ron would come back.. He was acting a little weird throughout the whole mission but in chapter 15 when he left that was the straw that broke tha camels back!!... But to come back and save harry, hes AMAZING!!...And they finally retrieved the sword of gryffindor and destroyed the first hoxcrus... Its getting better as a turn each page ; )
Contributor
iDigHermione
0 Kudos

Alright, so they finally destroyed one Horcrux. Tom Riddle's diary had been one, Morfins father's ring was one, and the Locket was one. So, that's 3 destroyed Horcruxes out of a total 7. However, one of the 7 parts of Voldemort still remains with in him. That leaves 3 remaining Horcruxes... and 3 remaining Houses from Hogwarts; Griffindor, HufflePuff, and Ravenclaw. Possibly the cup for Ravenclaw... and possibly the invention in the Lovegood's house for Ravenclaw. But what about Griffindor? I mean, isn't Griffindor's most prized posession the sword? But the sword can't be the Horcrux... it has been used to kill other Horcruxes. What are your thoughts regarding the Horcrux belonging to the house of Griffindor?
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

iDigHermione wrote:
Alright, so they finally destroyed one Horcrux. Tom Riddle's diary had been one, Morfins father's ring was one, and the Locket was one. So, that's 3 destroyed Horcruxes out of a total 7. However, one of the 7 parts of Voldemort still remains with in him. That leaves 3 remaining Horcruxes... and 3 remaining Houses from Hogwarts; Griffindor, HufflePuff, and Ravenclaw. Possibly the cup for Ravenclaw... and possibly the invention in the Lovegood's house for Ravenclaw. But what about Griffindor? I mean, isn't Griffindor's most prized posession the sword? But the sword can't be the Horcrux... it has been used to kill other Horcruxes. What are your thoughts regarding the Horcrux belonging to the house of Griffindor?

I don't think there is a Gryffindor Horcrux. I believe Voldemort used Nagini instead. Harry's pet, Hedwig, died at the hands of Voldemort's henchmen. Now, I think, Harry will get to take away Voldemort's pet.
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Way to go Ron! What an entry. Good of him to save Harry. I also wonder who the doe belongs to. I kept thinking it was a trap to get Harry in the water, but if the sword was last in the house in godric's hollow, then who could have gotten it and sent it to Harry, and then the Patronus? hmm questions questions.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
New User
luna_in_hiding
0 Kudos

i dont really think that the doe was a patronus i think it was someone else in that form. someone like dumbledore. someone who has been killed off.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

luna_in_hiding wrote:
i dont really think that the doe was a patronus i think it was someone else in that form. someone like dumbledore. someone who has been killed off.

You mean along the lines of a ghost? Wouldn't Dumbledore still take the form of a Phoenix?
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Xenophilius is definitely going to be of a lot of assistance to Harry, Ron, and Hermione. He is going to tell them about the Deathly Hallows, and he will probably help them somehow with something related to Rowena Ravenclaw. I don't think the invention itself is a Horcrux, but Xeno probably knows something. And he may not even know he knows it.
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I love that Luna's father's name is Xenophilius!
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
Krisleyyy
0 Kudos

poor luna if you ask me. i feel bad for her but either ways lovegood shouldnt have tried to sell out harry ron, && hermione. he's a git for that, even if his child is missing, could you imagine what would happen if he had gotten harry caught. plus do you think they would have even let luna live. page 391. best page so far. "No," harry corrected him. "He must've known you'd always want to come back." I give dumblemore so much more credit then i ever did, but at the same time i can't help but feel that it's not about the remaining horcruxes...i think its also about having all of the deathly hallows, i mean it makes so much sense. But i can't imagine why Voldemort does not know of it. Maybe he never wasted his time on unvalued children's tales. either ways im on chapter 21 now. And I'm so excited for the snitch to open. I wonder what's going to happen once it does.

-vampirechildd-
and lather the blood on your hands,
Romeo.
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 661 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: