Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
BillP
Posts: 405
Registered: ‎09-25-2006
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 22

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 22 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 22, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Contributor
arassi
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 22

So did anyone else gather that Voldemort and Harry are related? I've reread this chapter twice and I'm not sure this is the intent. Am I right?
New User
Visionaria4
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 22

I'm not sure if they actually are related or if it is just Harry's speculation. It seemed like he was thinking out loud more than anything else and came to the conclusion that he must be a descendent of one of the brothers. If he actually is, then, yes, they are related, though probably very distantly. Remember, Sirius said the pure-blood families are related one way or another. I think the more interesting thing is that it means he actually is an heir of Slytherin.
"To the youngsters of today, I say believe in the future, the world is getting better..." ~Walt Disney
Contributor
arassi
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 22

Well, after hunting around, I found where JKR said that Harry is not a descendent of Salazaar Slytherin, so either Harry's assumption about being related to the Peverell's is wrong, or Marvolo Gaunt's was wrong about his relation to Slytherin and the Peverell's, or JKR made a mistake.

Dang--another loose end!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 22



arassi wrote:
Well, after hunting around, I found where JKR said that Harry is not a descendent of Salazaar Slytherin, so either Harry's assumption about being related to the Peverell's is wrong, or Marvolo Gaunt's was wrong about his relation to Slytherin and the Peverell's, or JKR made a mistake.

Dang--another loose end!




No, the Gaunts can be related to the Slytherins and the Peverells while Harry is only related to the Peverells.

Picture it like this... Two Peverell Brothers all have descendents. One of the brothers' descendants marries a Slytherin descendent. The Gaunts then descend from that marriage.

Harry's relationship to Voldemort could be as close as a fifth cousin or could be far more distant -- 10th or 11th cousin or beyond... Hermione never tells us the dates on the Peverell tomb. Was it two hundred years ago? Longer?
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
Posts: 1,053
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 22



Psychee wrote:
No, the Gaunts can be related to the Slytherins and the Peverells while Harry is only related to the Peverells.

Picture it like this... Two Peverell Brothers all have descendents. One of the brothers' descendants marries a Slytherin descendent. The Gaunts then descend from that marriage.

Harry's relationship to Voldemort could be as close as a fifth cousin or could be far more distant -- 10th or 11th cousin or beyond... Hermione never tells us the dates on the Peverell tomb. Was it two hundred years ago? Longer?




I agree with you, Psychee. One of the Peverell brothers marries a girl that is a decendent of Slytherin. They have a daughter that marries a Gaunt and voila! Harry's descended from another Perenell that does not tie into the Slytherin line. Makes perfect sense, especially since Tom Riddle was the only son of the last daughter and Morphin had no children.

I think that Hermione needs to remember what Dumbledore's message was to her about that book. He left it for instruction, not just for entertainment.

I loved the Potterwatch broadcast, but that was really sad to hear about Ted Tonks and Dirk Cresswell. The deaths are not surprising, but they are sad. I liked what Lupin said to Harry through that broadcast about Harry being 'nearly always right'. Sounds like he took Harry's words to heart! And, go, Hagrid! Go! Can't believe he tried to throw a Potter Party right under Snape's nose.

I'm dying for them to go back to Hogwarts!!! Harry keeps wanting to, so I know it's just a matter of time. I just wish they'd get on with it. Maybe that is where the final battle will take place.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
Posts: 394
Registered: ‎06-22-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 22

Yeah, I was kind of confused on that part too. But I don't think they're related, a la Star Wars.
I think Hermione's actually wrong for once in her life. The Deathly Hallows do exist. And I'm happy that they could finally tune in to Potterwatch, and that Lupin seems to have forgiven Harry. Can't believe Tonks' dad is dead; he won't get to see his grandchild. :smileysad:
But how could Harry do something so stupid as to say Voldemort's name??? I guess it was just the excitement of the moment, and he was so used to saying it anyway. But this is scary...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
Posts: 110
Registered: ‎06-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 22



APenForYourThoughts wrote:
Yeah, I was kind of confused on that part too. But I don't think they're related, a la Star Wars.
I think Hermione's actually wrong for once in her life. The Deathly Hallows do exist. And I'm happy that they could finally tune in to Potterwatch, and that Lupin seems to have forgiven Harry. Can't believe Tonks' dad is dead; he won't get to see his grandchild. :smileysad:
But how could Harry do something so stupid as to say Voldemort's name??? I guess it was just the excitement of the moment, and he was so used to saying it anyway. But this is scary...




i also don't think they are related. it would be too ironic for the series. like you mentioned star wars. i would think harry would be more careful before mentioning that name aloud in the woods. but then again maybe all the traveling and events that have happened so far in the book have made him a bit careless.
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
Users Online
Currently online: 61 members 708 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: