Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 23

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 23 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 23, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 23

zomg I cant believe that Dobby is dead! /cry
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

Hmm Now I think about it, it really served him right because he betrayed the Malfoys. Although the knife he was killed with by Bellatrix should have been used to kill Hermione when she had the chance. Ah well. :smileysad:
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ghostbuster wrote:
Hmm Now I think about it, it really served him right because he betrayed the Malfoys. Although the knife he was killed with by Bellatrix should have been used to kill Hermione when she had the chance. Ah well. :smileysad:

Are you kidding me??? Dobby deserved to die???
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

You know I didn't really believe my hatred for Bellatrix could grow any but I can't wait for that b***h to be get hers. Poor Dobby god he was so heroic......it hurt to read that.
Contributor
JaYzRICH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

allenctynimrod wrote:
You know I didn't really believe my hatred for Bellatrix could grow any but I can't wait for that b***h to be get hers. Poor Dobby god he was so heroic......it hurt to read that.

I am with you man I cant wait until she dies the most painful way ever or something. Dobby is the hero of this chapter what a scene! It was awesome. Dobby Will be missed.Finally Wormtail is dead! That coward.

R.I.P Dobby

Message Edited by JaYzRICH on 07-23-2007 08:40 PM
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Er... talk to the Hand, Wormtail? *creepy-shudders*

Dobby... so sad... :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

This chapter was so intense! I had to stop and write a couple of things down as I was reading so that I could keep myself breathing, so I'll post things in the order I recorded them:

The silver hand killed Wormtail?! That was fantastic! No less than he deserved and it was great that Harry didn't have to do it. Although I thought it was interesting that Harry had to actually remind him of the Wizard's debt. That hand must have been jinxed or whatever so that it would turn on Wormtail if he betrayed Voldemort.

All this wand switching is getting confusing. Who's got whose wand now?? And whose wands did Harry pick up?

I'm so excited that they found Luna and Ollivander and how incredible that Dobby was able to go in and rescue them all. Where was he to find out that Harry was at the Malfoys' house?

And now I'm thinking....that wand on the faded purple cushion in Ollivander's store window...Could that be THE wand? If so, where is it now? It sure would be something if Neville had bought that wand, though I'm positive that he didn't.

And finally...NOT DOBBY! I haven't cried for a couple of chapters until now. Dobby died saving Harry's life, which is exactly how he would have wanted it. That was incredibly sad. The death toll on Harry's protectors has really mounted. He better not die after all of this. It reminds me of Saving Private Ryan. Harry darned well better go on and have an incredibly long, good life to make up for all of the people that have died to keep him going.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Seriously that was so sad, I didn't want Dobby to go. He was very helpful and heroic till the end. Wormtail that's another story.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

Could this be the second of the 2 big deaths? Or, is Mad Eye still alive? The only real confirmation we have about his death is that Umbridge had his eye.

And what about Draco, he seems awfully hesitant to identify his classmates, I can understand him being unsure of Harry, but he certainly would have identified Hermione and Ron without hesitation. Is he rethinking his position in the war, or is he so afraid of making another mistake that he is doubting himself?
Contributor
Nimabu
0 Kudos

It's kind of anticlimactic that if you loose your wand you're basically screwed. So now Harry has a collection of useless wands and Olivander can't fix his. This makes him as powerful as a Muggle then.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

coreen222 wrote:
Could this be the second of the 2 big deaths? Or, is Mad Eye still alive? The only real confirmation we have about his death is that Umbridge had his eye.

And what about Draco, he seems awfully hesitant to identify his classmates, I can understand him being unsure of Harry, but he certainly would have identified Hermione and Ron without hesitation. Is he rethinking his position in the war, or is he so afraid of making another mistake that he is doubting himself?

The thing is that JKR's quote has been largely misunderstood. She didn't say there would be two major deaths. She said that two characters she didn't intend to die did and one got a reprieve. I don't think Mad-Eye's was one of the major deaths that she didn't expect to happen. I think he was always going to die at the hands of Death Eaters in defense of Harry. I think someone else's days are numbered. They are at war, after all...
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

That chapter was really heavy.
First off, I'm glad they found Luna and Ollivander. At least now they know for sure that they're both alive.
Bellatrix is terrible. Don't like her at all.
The section about Wormtail's hand turning on him was interesting, I thought.
They used Crucio on Hermione??? That pained me almost as much as it pained Ron; Hermione is one of my favorites!!
Draco did seem rather hesitant to identify Harry, Ron, and Hermione. He's basically been forced to follow in his father's Death Eater footsteps, and I don't think he really wants to. He was supposed to kill Dumbledore and he didn't, and he was supposed to immediately identify the trio and he didn't. I think he's really not as evil as the people he's been surrounded by his entire life. If he was completely comfortable with following Voldemort, he would have killed Dumbledore and immediately identified Harry, Ron, and Hermione.
And Dobby's dead. :smileysad: I can't believe it!!! But he is such a hero; he died trying to save Harry.
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

This chapter was full of action! I really thought that Hermione was going to die. That would have been really sad. It was good that Dobby was there to get them out of the Manor. It was sad that he had to die in the end though.
Contributor
crw1204
0 Kudos

Am I the only one who thinks that the house elves are a huge part of the saga that are getting lost in the movies? Dobby was always there for Harry, better or bad blodger.

And Dobby was such a great foil to the Malfoys.

Now it's all up to Kreacher.
New User
LittleSquib
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:
All this wand switching is getting confusing. Who's got whose wand now?? And whose wands did Harry pick up?

Harry took the wands Draco had collected from him and Ron, plus Draco's own wand. Ron came upstairs with Wormtail's wand and Harry caught Bellatrix's wand after Ron disarmed her.
New User
ronlover6
0 Kudos

omg i was crying the WHOLE chapter because i though Hermione or Ron or ANYONE was gonna die (RIP dobby! i love you!) it was the most intense chapter of my harry potter life (well, along with the death scene with harry, the cave scene with Dumbledore in the 6th book, and the graveyard in the 4th book.)
New User
ronlover6
0 Kudos

Draco is definently regreting all of this...if he was truly TRULY evil, he would have totally ratted out the three of them in a second, with trembling like he did....
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 278 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: