Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 25

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 25 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 25, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Contributor
jmljasmine
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 25

Well, it seems that Harry and Lupin are no longer in the same menor/mentee relationship. Harry is now more of an equal... Our little Harry is all grown up.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Breaking into Gringotts...wow. From the UK cover, I knew that was a possibility, but this can't possibly go smoothly, especially with Bill's warning at the end of the chapter about making deals with goblins. Of course, if something happens to Griphook, then Harry is off the hook. But I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

And that was so exciting about little Teddy Lupin. I can't believe Harry's the godfather. I'm at work trying to read and I had to fight back tears. My emotions are so close to the surface on this book that I almost shouldn't even attempt to read it in public. I've cried over deaths, I've cried over happy things, yikes. I absolutely know that I have to finish the book in private because, no matter how it ends, I'll cry just for the fact that it's over.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Not sure what kind of place you work at, k, but I would find it very difficult to read this book while working! Good luck with that! :smileywink:

~ConnieK

kpeterson32 wrote, in part:
I'm at work trying to read and I had to fight back tears. My emotions are so close to the surface on this book that I almost shouldn't even attempt to read it in public. I've cried over deaths, I've cried over happy things, yikes. I absolutely know that I have to finish the book in private because, no matter how it ends, I'll cry just for the fact that it's over.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
Not sure what kind of place you work at, k, but I would find it very difficult to read this book while working! Good luck with that! :smileywink:

~ConnieK

kpeterson32 wrote, in part:
I'm at work trying to read and I had to fight back tears. My emotions are so close to the surface on this book that I almost shouldn't even attempt to read it in public. I've cried over deaths, I've cried over happy things, yikes. I absolutely know that I have to finish the book in private because, no matter how it ends, I'll cry just for the fact that it's over.

I work on the top floor of a college library. Lots of foot traffic from students using computers, etc, but tons of time to read.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Oh, gotcha. Yes; true. Well, be careful, then! :smileywink:

~ConnieK

kpeterson32 wrote: I work on the top floor of a college library. Lots of foot traffic from students using computers, etc, but tons of time to read.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Nimabu
0 Kudos

Almost stopped reading completely at the point where Harry and Co. got caught by the Snatchers. I like how throughout the book we see Harry coming to terms with the fact that the world isn't so peachy keen. He learns how sometimes, adults lie to protect their loved ones, especially kids. I hope that we get to understand Dumbledore's intentions more clearly as the book comes to it's end. I'm still crossing my fingers and hopping that Sirius will turn out somewhere. Or that he'll communicate with Harry in someway.

Part of me knew that Draco wouldn't give them up at Malfoy Manor. It's good to know that he has realized the downfalls of associating himself with the Darkside.

It was stupid of Harry to promise the sword to Griphook, that's another disaster to come. He could have asked Bill for help, if he has worked at the bank for a long time he could have known ways to penetrate it's walls.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Nimabu wrote:
Part of me knew that Draco wouldn't give them up at Malfoy Manor. It's good to know that he has realized the downfalls of associating himself with the Darkside.

Yes, I was only slightly surprised by that. I think that Draco never really understood the gravity of his situation until he was on top of the Astronomy Tower, wand at the ready, looking Dumbledore in the eye with the knowledge that he was supposed to kill. I think that was the moment when Draco finally realized that this was all real and that there is enough decency in him to know that everything his father taught him wasn't right.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Nimabu wrote:
It was stupid of Harry to promise the sword to Griphook, that's another disaster to come. He could have asked Bill for help, if he has worked at the bank for a long time he could have known ways to penetrate it's walls.

There is no method that Bill could have used to get inside one of the high security vaults, though. Remember what Griphook said when they got the stone out of Dumbledore's vault in Book 1? Only a Gringotts Goblin can stroke the door to open it; if anyone else tries, they will be sucked inside and will never be able to get out and no one will ever check on them for ten years. I think he very much needs this Goblin!
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
There is no method that Bill could have used to get inside one of the high security vaults, though. Remember what Griphook said when they got the stone out of Dumbledore's vault in Book 1? Only a Gringotts Goblin can stroke the door to open it; if anyone else tries, they will be sucked inside and will never be able to get out and no one will ever check on them for ten years. I think he very much needs this Goblin!

Too true!

One thing I really liked about this chapter was that Griphook is so unpleasant. I like the idea that not everyone helping Harry is going to be wonderful and friendly. Griphook may have his own agenda, but he is certainly helping them with all of the planning and preparation. It's like that in life, isn't it? Sometimes you have to ask for help from people you don't particularly like. JKR really has a good understanding of psychology and sociology.
Contributor
Nimabu
0 Kudos

I wouldn't have trusted the Goblin, if they loose the sword how are they going to destroy the Horcruxes??
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Nimabu wrote:
I wouldn't have trusted the Goblin, if they loose the sword how are they going to destroy the Horcruxes??

That sword can't possibly be the only way to destroy the Horcruxes. Harry used it to kill the Basilisk in CoS, but he used the fang to destroy the diary. If they lose the sword, they'll just have to figure out another way to destroy the remaining Horcruxes.
New User
shmrks
0 Kudos

maybe dumbledores sister is alive and she sent the doe.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Bill's warning about goblins does make it seem even worse that Harry promised the sword to Griphook. I agree that there must be more than one way to destroy the Horcruxes, but Harry, Ron, and Hermione haven't figured out what else they can use yet, so they think the sword is their only chance.
I'm so happy Tonks had the baby!!! And that Lupin stayed with her and didn't abandon her and little Ted. Harry's Ted's godfather, too! What's funny is that I was thinking about the fact that Sirius was Harry's godfather while I was reading that, and then it was mentioned at the end of the chapter. I guess they're going to Gringotts next...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

I was so happy to hear that Tonks had her baby! I think that Harry is the perfect person to be the child's godfather. The plan about breaking into Gringotts sounds very dangerous. There are so many things that can go wrong. You never know who you can trust.
Frequent Contributor
Krisleyyy
0 Kudos

oh! that part was amazing!! harry the godfather!! i just find it so unbelievable, that james bestfriends have a child and james son is the godfather, (: yes. i HATE that goblin!! so much, but at the same time, was the sword really stolen?!?!
and lather the blood on your hands,
Romeo.
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 233 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: