Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 26

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 26 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 26, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 26

Wow...I bet a whole lot of muggles saw that dragon flying through the air LOL.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

How do you suppose the Ministry could have covered that up? But I guess they were too busy with their DE duties to worry about wizard secrecy issues.

ghostbuster wrote:

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
How do you suppose the Ministry could have covered that up? But I guess they were too busy with their DE duties to worry about wizard secrecy issues.

ghostbuster wrote:

At this point I don't think they care about Wizard Secrecy... this is the "New Order", they are getting ready to take over Muggles completely.

Also, many Muggles are being zapped by Dementors -- one wonders if they notice anything at all...
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Never never never never try to cheat a goblin!
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Holy cow! Another action-packed, edge-of-your-seat chapter. There have been so many anxious moments already, I'm afraid I might not be able to handle the stress level when Harry finally comes face-to-face with You-Know-Who!

I don't think the Ministry is too worried about the Muggles seeing the dragon. If anything, I think they enjoyed the fear and confusion it would have caused.

I knew that Harry making a deal with Griphook wasn't a smart thing. I don't know how he'll destroy the cup now, but I doubt he'll ever see that sword again. I was thinking that the crown on the skull (how gross is that??) was going to be the Ravenclaw thing, but I guess not. Too much to hope for there to be more than one Horcrux in that vault. So now, we have recovered all of the Horcruxes that we know about and they get to spend the rest of their time figuring out what the other ones are. I wonder where Auntie Muriel got her tiara?

So many questions still unanswered! Who was feeding info to Snape? Is that really Dumbledore in the mirror? And when is Neville finally going to get his revenge on Bellatrix?
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:
I don't know how he'll destroy the cup now, but I doubt he'll ever see that sword again. I was thinking that the crown on the skull (how gross is that??) was going to be the Ravenclaw thing, but I guess not. Too much to hope for there to be more than one Horcrux in that vault. So now, we have recovered all of the Horcruxes that we know about and they get to spend the rest of their time figuring out what the other ones are. I wonder where Auntie Muriel got her tiara?

So many questions still unanswered! Who was feeding info to Snape? Is that really Dumbledore in the mirror? And when is Neville finally going to get his revenge on Bellatrix?

okay this is not a spoiler because I haven't finished the book this is just a guess
I was wondering how he would be able to destroy the cup and what ever the other horcrux (I'm with you I think the Ravenclaw horcrux has to do with royal headgear) and then I remembered how they described George's injury way back in ch5: how his ear couldn't be replaced because it was blown off by a curse. I think this sounds alot like the way the horcruxes needed to be destroyed in such a way that they couldn't be put back together with magic. Snape used Sectumsempra to blast George's ear so could Sectumsempra be used on a horcrux? I'm not sure if you can use that spell on objects but Harry should be able to at least use it on the snake.

narnianmum
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Another intense chapter.
I never thought about that Sectumsempra being used. It's a possibility.
I was wondering about Auntie Muriel's tiara as well. It seemed like the kind of thing that shouldn't have been given as much attention by JKR as it was. She could have just had Fleur mention the tiara, rather than have her show everyone, and Bill reported back that Auntie Muriel was glad to have it back. I think the trio may be paying a visit to Muriel at some point.
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

This chapter was full of action! It was pretty exciting. I couldn't believe that they even got out of there alive. I was sure that somebody would be killed or seriously hurt. Harry shouldn't have trusted the goblin. Bill told him that they aren't the most trustworthy creatures. That was a mistake on Harry's part. I wonder how he is going to destroy the Horcruxes now.
New User
Weasley_Twins_fan
0 Kudos

LiveUrLife wrote:
This chapter was full of action! It was pretty exciting. I couldn't believe that they even got out of there alive. I was sure that somebody would be killed or seriously hurt. Harry shouldn't have trusted the goblin. Bill told him that they aren't the most trustworthy creatures. That was a mistake on Harry's part. I wonder how he is going to destroy the Horcruxes now.

I have to disagree; the goblin wasn't the untrustworthy one! He did everything they asked, including risking his own life getting them into Bellatrix's vault. I love Ron and Harry, but you can't ignore the fact that they basically were planning to 'temporarily' cheat Griphook out of the sword--and if they died, he'd never get it!

Griphook wasn't treacherous, he was street-smart. He didn't really trust them to keep their word, and he was right.
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 833 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: