Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 28

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 28 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 28, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 28

I wonder how Aberforth knew what Harry needed when he looked in the mirror? How did he know Dobby could help (was probably the only one who could help), or how he was able to find Dobby, who was presumably at Hogwarts, and send Dobby to the exact place he was needed. And I wonder how long the tunnel behind Ariana's picture was there - a passageway the twins didn't know about.

I was confused a little by the account of Ariana's death, and them not knowing whose wand or spell killed her. They could have done the priori incantatem (sp)regurgitation spell to find out, I would think.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hmmm...Okay, so I was totally wrong about Ariana being Mrs. Figg. Too bad because I really liked that idea! Oh well! Ms Jinx, I think they didn't do Priori Incantatem because, well, would you want to know for sure if you had killed your own sister, even if it was by accident?

I don't know about this tunnel/passage thing through the picture. I'll keep reading, but it seems a little convenient to me. I was very happy to see Neville, however. I just love Neville.

And here's something I've een thinking about...the Horcruxes. Now that Voldemort knows what Harry's after, he is going out to make sure his Horcruxes are safe. He's going to go to the Gaunt house and discover that the ring is gone and will assume it's been destroyed. (BTW, I find it interesting that the idea of Dumbledore finding and destroying any of them seems not to have occurred to him.) Anyway, I think that when he discovers that the ring has been destroyed, he'll decide to create another Horcrux. One that Harry will have a much more difficult time destroying. A person close to him. I don't know who, but I think Voldemort will try to do that and then Harry will be faced with the situation of thinking that he has to kill one of his best friends, or someone that's been like one of his family. As much as I dislike the scar-as-Horcrux theory, I'd almost prefer that!

Message Edited by kpeterson32 on 07-25-2007 10:53 AM
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
Nimabu
0 Kudos

Pretty sad story, it's sort of like magic ruined Dumbledore's family.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Nimabu wrote:
Pretty sad story, it's sort of like magic ruined Dumbledore's family.

Sort of ironic, isn't it? Considering that Dumbledore is considered one of the most powerful wizards of all time?
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
Nimabu
0 Kudos

It's pretty sad that Harry has to keep learning all these new details of Dumbledore's life, making it difficult for him to continue on his journey. Aberforth is the only adult that seems to show concern at the fact that Harry Potter is only seventeen and is basically tormented with this huge responsability to save a whole race.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I really like how JKR placed Aberforth into the whole story. And Ariana's death is very sad.
Neville's here!!! I was hoping we would see him sometime in this story. I assume Harry, Ron, and Hermione will be going to Hogwarts through Ariana's portrait.
That's an interesting theory someone had about Voldemort making another Horcrux out of someone close to Harry. But I've kind of thought for a while that Harry or his scar is a Horcrux. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. I'll know in a few chapters, I guess!
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Users Online
Currently online: 23 members 382 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: