New User
yaowsers
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 3

yeah, i was kinda wondering about the cv's thing...what is it?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

yaowsers wrote:
yeah, i was kinda wondering about the cv's thing...what is it?

As was mentioned above, a CV is a "curriculum vitae". That's a professional resume, a document that lists a person's past jobs and accomplishments. One uses it to apply for jobs, among other things...
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Dudley's behavior was also very surprising to Harry. He was thinking that the Dementors might have blown a different personality into Dudley. I loved that part and maybe children growing up together strike a bond no matter what the atmosphere or landscape of the home. Harry was treated like a male Cinderella and Dudley was like a male step sister. But Harry having saved Dudley was not forgotten by Dudley and he was determined that Harry was going to be OK and frankly had more gumption than I ever had given him credit for.

I loved what JRK did here to bring some closure to that relationship. Everybody else seemed to behave according to plan although his aunt did look back but never got any words out after "well good bye".

Sorry excuse for a family although they did feel bound to take him in although they did it reluctantly and without any love or compassion.

It is sort of sad to read this book knowing that it is the end of an epic that all of us loved to "live and breathe" and be a part of with these books. You want to savor every page but at the same time race to the end to find out what happened to all of your beloved characters and HP.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I thought it was very touching when Harry realized that the cold cup of tea was not a prank but a gesture of friendship.

And I also thought it was funny that after everything that has happened, Vernon decides that Harry just wants to take his house and that he's gone to these extreme measures to get it from him.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

I really expected Petunia to have something important to say to Harry, something about her sister, or that she did truly care for him but didn't want Vernon to know....something! Instead, she turned out to be even worse than I ever thought she could be. It kind of leaves it open to another interaction between them, especially with Dudley's surprising transformation.
Contributor
readsalot
0 Kudos

Re: Dursleys Say Less Than Goodbye

I thought this chapter was a perfect send off for the Dursleys. I highly doubt we'll ever see them again -- and really, good riddance! They served their purpose and now it's time to let them be in a world they've always wanted -- one without Harry.

Uncle Vernon was as suspicious and malicious as ever. Aunt Petunia was as cowardly and contemptuously immovable in her thinking of her sister's son as a FREAK. And Dudley, well ... as much as it may seem that he had a change of heart, he hasn't. He's dull-witted, slow-thinking, and expected to be in existence. I don't think he was actually grateful TO Harry for saving his life as much as he was grateful FOR Harry saving his life. There's quite a difference there.

Harry's departure is just as unexpected and unceremonious as his arrival.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

readsalot wrote:
And Dudley, well ... as much as it may seem that he had a change of heart, he hasn't. He's dull-witted, slow-thinking, and expected to be in existence. I don't think he was actually grateful TO Harry for saving his life as much as he was grateful FOR Harry saving his life. There's quite a difference there.

I completely, totally, 100% disagree with you on this, reads. Dudley is dim, sure. But he demonstrated with that cold cup of tea that he has an entirely different attitude toward his cousin. For all those years, Dudley beat up Harry every chance he got. And when the time came that Dudley needed help that only Harry could give him, Harry saved his life instead of leaving him behind, which is exactly what he would have done to Harry. You don't get your life saved by someone and then not care what happens to them. I think that whatever Dudley experienced from those Dementors really made him reevaluate his short life and gave him the opportunity to change his direction.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
readsalot
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:

readsalot wrote:
And Dudley, well ... as much as it may seem that he had a change of heart, he hasn't. He's dull-witted, slow-thinking, and expected to be in existence. I don't think he was actually grateful TO Harry for saving his life as much as he was grateful FOR Harry saving his life. There's quite a difference there.

I completely, totally, 100% disagree with you on this, reads. Dudley is dim, sure. But he demonstrated with that cold cup of tea that he has an entirely different attitude toward his cousin. For all those years, Dudley beat up Harry every chance he got. And when the time came that Dudley needed help that only Harry could give him, Harry saved his life instead of leaving him behind, which is exactly what he would have done to Harry. You don't get your life saved by someone and then not care what happens to them. I think that whatever Dudley experienced from those Dementors really made him reevaluate his short life and gave him the opportunity to change his direction.

I get what you are saying, and to a degree understand it. However, I don't think Dudley is quite the "turned over a new leaf" kind of guy everyone thinks he is. There was no change in him when Dumbledore came to fetch Harry in HBP. For instance, he ignored the drinks just as much as his parents.

Sure, he brings Harry tea -- but was it ever hot? And why not knock on the door and present it to him? I'm not saying that Dudley hasn't had some change of heart and accepted Harry as a person who cared enough to save him. He quite clearly sees that. I just don't read into his questions about why Harry isn't coming with them as a sentiment that Harry should go with them. Does that make any sense?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Harry was only home for two weeks in the summer before this. During that time he never left his room, as he was mourning Sirius. There was no chance at all of Dudley conversing with him.

I think the comment "I don't think you are a waste of space" was heartfelt. I also think that Dudley was worried that Harry was not going to be protected as he and his parents were.

I have to admit, Dudley's inability to express himself while having such unexpectedly kind thoughts in his brain made my eyes well up... this was SO well done!
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

quidditchpro wrote:
Wow, first moment of near tears. A happy parting between Harry and his cousin. I also wonder what it is that Aunt Petunia nearly said. We'll find out soon I suppose.

Wasn't that incredible??? Super surprise there! Dudders has a heart...

I guess since he has always been hiding under mommy and daddy, he is finally grown enough to actually speak for himself. It was really nice to see him act that way towards Harry. I think there is more where this came from. More of the Dudleys to see, in Harry's favor.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Dudley actually being nice to Harry?!?!?!?!?! :smileysurprised:
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

As dementors make you relive your absolutely worst moments in your life......I've always wondered just what Dudley saw in that alley.....he was so incapacitated.

And concerned that Harry isn't going to be with them? Could it be that some kind of a bond was formed between them in his (to be sure, dim) mind? I can't think of anything else that would totally freak out the Dursleys......

:-D
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Reader 4
rosezeata
0 Kudos

I wasn't planning on posting, just going to read but I just have to ask something. Dudley is acting so out unusual is it possible that someone is controlling him? Could he be the source that Snap was talking about? I know that the house is produced by D's spell but Dudley never was one to stay home. Then to it would not have been to hard for them to find him at school. I mean they are bound to know his name for Harry talked about the to Ron when Wormtail was there.
Then aging would the curse still work once he was back in the house? And how would Dudley relay information back, how did they make contact? Surely he was not still allowed to run the streets after they were told of the danger. Yet he was so un-Dudley I can't stop wondering. I'v been thinking it over all night. I mean Dudley knew when Harry was going but not much more, like the leak. Also Dudley did make that attempt to learn where Harry was headed. I know I am likely seeing trouble where there is none. After all Harry didn't seem to consider it a possibility. Yet why not, for he was acting very odd. With whats going on I would think that such deferent behavior would raise questions. But then maybe I am just channeling to much Mad-Eye and seen plots where there are none.

(sorry about my spelling, hope it isn't to confusing.)
Happy reading, never let yourself be found without a book near by.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

I was also moved by Dudley's awkward, small tokens of friendship.

And at the same time, I did have to laugh that the best he could do was to say "I don't think you're a waste of space!"

Rachel
Contributor
SingPraise
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:
Wow, first moment of near tears. A happy parting between Harry and his cousin. I also wonder what it is that Aunt Petunia nearly said. We'll find out soon I suppose.

Wow! can you believe that that Dudley really does love Harry aftterall those years of abuse. It was so touching. Anywho, I think I know what Petunia wanted to say. Jo has said that 1 character in her story discovered their magical powers late in life. Maybe Petunia was about to confess to Harry. She was aweful touchy about the Wizarding World. In that case there are two witch sisters, one of who is dead, and a house ruined with Lily beneath the rubble. Could this be the WIzard of Oz all over. Will Harry (the survivor in the house) unintentionally kill his dear aunt petunia? Or will she somehow die? This could be a clue!!! :-P

"I am the only one who saw her for what she was a FREAK!" - Dearest Aunt Petunia

Who's a Freak Now? HUH?
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

SingPraise wrote:

Wow! can you believe that that Dudley really does love Harry aftterall those years of abuse. It was so touching. Anywho, I think I know what Petunia wanted to say. Jo has said that 1 character in her story discovered their magical powers late in life. Maybe Petunia was about to confess to Harry. She was aweful touchy about the Wizarding World. In that case there are two witch sisters, one of who is dead, and a house ruined with Lily beneath the rubble. Could this be the WIzard of Oz all over. Will Harry (the survivor in the house) unintentionally kill his dear aunt petunia? Or will she somehow die? This could be a clue!!! :-P

"I am the only one who saw her for what she was a FREAK!" - Dearest Aunt Petunia

Who's a Freak Now? HUH?

I think I read somewhere that Jo has said the character performing magic late is not Petunia. What if it's Dudders???!!!
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Contributor
Loverbook
0 Kudos

I like to always look on the positive side of things and have hope for what might come ahead. I feel that Harry's cousin may be having a change of heart after all. Sometimes people take for granted the people they have in their lives until someting serious happens in their life. Perhaps this is his turning point. Let's see what happens
tee
New User
tee
0 Kudos

I was really surprised that Dudders showed he cared about Harry. Poor Aunt Petunia for not realizing or acknowledging Harry as family. Shame on her. Then she hesitated before she left. I wondered what she wanted to say.
Reader 2
mah1
0 Kudos

I want to believe that Aunt Petunia had a change of mind about Harry after she saw Dudley interact with Harry. She might've said something before she left but maybe was ashamed of her past behavior or maybe was so startled by the realization that Harry has worth (at least in Dudley's eyes) that she didn't know what to say.
Contributor
Jen525
0 Kudos

I am so happy for Big D! He must be growing up and realizing that his parent's narrow- minded predjudice is not necessarily what is right. I am very upset in Petunia. I thought after the scene a year or two ago in their kitchen where she blurted out that Dementors guard the wizard prison Azkaban, would have brought bonding to Harry and his aunt before their goodbyes. Hopefully, Petunia will regret this, as many of her other actions as well, and seek counseling later in her life.

Does the fact that Harry arranged for/or is encouraging them to seek protection means he cares some for them?! I mean, why not just let the Death Eaters come after them if they were so terrible [and they were] all his life. But I think Harry is too good of a person to just "hand them over" like that. I don't believe he would want innocent lives lost, no matter how pig headed they are.

bentley wrote:
Dudley's behavior was also very surprising to Harry. He was thinking that the Dementors might have blown a different personality into Dudley. I loved that part and maybe children growing up together strike a bond no matter what the atmosphere or landscape of the home. Harry was treated like a male Cinderella and Dudley was like a male step sister. But Harry having saved Dudley was not forgotten by Dudley and he was determined that Harry was going to be OK and frankly had more gumption than I ever had given him credit for.

I loved what JRK did here to bring some closure to that relationship. Everybody else seemed to behave according to plan although his aunt did look back but never got any words out after "well good bye".

Sorry excuse for a family although they did feel bound to take him in although they did it reluctantly and without any love or compassion.

It is sort of sad to read this book knowing that it is the end of an epic that all of us loved to "live and breathe" and be a part of with these books. You want to savor every page but at the same time race to the end to find out what happened to all of your beloved characters and HP.

"Imagine losing fingernails, Harry! That really puts our sufferings into perspective, doesn't it?" (Hermione, p383)
Users Online
Currently online:52 members 500 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: