Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 3

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 3 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 3, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 3

Wow, first moment of near tears. A happy parting between Harry and his cousin. I also wonder what it is that Aunt Petunia nearly said. We'll find out soon I suppose.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:
Wow, first moment of near tears. A happy parting between Harry and his cousin. I also wonder what it is that Aunt Petunia nearly said. We'll find out soon I suppose.

Wasn't that incredible??? Super surprise there! Dudders has a heart...
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

quidditchpro wrote:

So far my favorite moment, granted I have over 600 pages still to read.
Contributor
qunz-N-rosez
0 Kudos

Funny, I was more so getting the feeling he wanted to be with Potter because he feels like Potter will be more protected than them, but that is just me lol.
Contributor
jmljasmine
0 Kudos

I think in his own way, Dudley was trying to express his concern for Harry. He didn't want him abandoned. It was rather sweet. I am also wondering what Petunia wanted to say. I don't think we've seen the last of them.

I've also noticed, Harry seems to have really grown up so far. He's starting to think in ways beyond Gryffindor too. His planning is coming to the surface.
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

I was really happy to find out that Dudley has a heart. I hope nothing happens to him.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

jmljasmine wrote:
I think in his own way, Dudley was trying to express his concern for Harry. He didn't want him abandoned. It was rather sweet. I am also wondering what Petunia wanted to say. I don't think we've seen the last of them.

I've also noticed, Harry seems to have really grown up so far. He's starting to think in ways beyond Gryffindor too. His planning is coming to the surface.

That was what I thought about Dudley, too. Harry saved his life and he never really got the chance to thank him for it. After all the years of abuse that had been heaped upon his cousin, Dudley finally realized that Harry was a decent person. And he wants to make sure that his only cousin doesn't meet a horrible end.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
mermaidgirl
0 Kudos

I thought it was interesting that TWICE, Uncle Vernon waved off Aunt Petunia when she was trying to defend her husband against Harry's cheeky comments. In past books, Vernon stood up for himself and now he is not only allowing Harry to get away with back talk, but keeping Petunia from saying anything to Harry. Does this reflect that Vernon actually does realize the seriousness of the threat, and that Harry is a big deal in the wizarding world (presumably where the Dursley family will be placed in hiding)?

My favorite lines were in this chapter. One was "Good day to you, Harry Potter's relatives!" which was said by Dedalus Diggle. I couldn't believe Uncle Vernon really thought Harry was trying to trick them into leaving so he could get the house - what a laugh! Also, Uncle Vernon wanting to see the CVs for the people who were to protect the family was also pretty funny!

All in all, I was surprised by Dudley in this chapter. I don't believe Dudley has ever had anything to say to Harry that wasn't an insult, order, or bullying. In fact, he usually just ignores Harry. I am glad to see that he does have some heart after all.
Contributor
Harrypotteraholic
0 Kudos

i liked this part i just wonder if the potters and the dursleys will meet again cuz dudleys not a bullying moron anymore
Frequent Contributor
joce14
0 Kudos

i was shicked when i read this.i guess that dudley actually cared about harry.
Jocelyn
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Dudley... what you can say about him?? That was really a decent thing he said... give the Dementors credit for something.
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
Tonks07
0 Kudos

mermaidgirl wrote:
I thought it was interesting that TWICE, Uncle Vernon waved off Aunt Petunia when she was trying to defend her husband against Harry's cheeky comments. In past books, Vernon stood up for himself and now he is not only allowing Harry to get away with back talk, but keeping Petunia from saying anything to Harry. Does this reflect that Vernon actually does realize the seriousness of the threat, and that Harry is a big deal in the wizarding world (presumably where the Dursley family will be placed in hiding)?

My favorite lines were in this chapter. One was "Good day to you, Harry Potter's relatives!" which was said by Dedalus Diggle. I couldn't believe Uncle Vernon really thought Harry was trying to trick them into leaving so he could get the house - what a laugh! Also, Uncle Vernon wanting to see the CVs for the people who were to protect the family was also pretty funny!

All in all, I was surprised by Dudley in this chapter. I don't believe Dudley has ever had anything to say to Harry that wasn't an insult, order, or bullying. In fact, he usually just ignores Harry. I am glad to see that he does have some heart after all.

I know! even if Vernon did think Harry was going to take the house, but see that the way Vernon thinks so...

I think Dudley maybe since the demontors attack has relised in a sense just what Harry might be up aganst. Even bullies sometimes do go up and regret all the bulling they did when younger. Especialy since he might relise that noone evey discouraged him to pick on Harry too.

I but though Vernon might have had a thought about 'wait Harrys got a house hrm what else has he got'. I wonder if Dudley will show up again? or was this really goodbye.
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

I really liked Dudley's actions is this chapter, it made me feel like, if Harry survives, he might actually have some family.
"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
New User
max2062
0 Kudos

I don't think Dudley is completely reformed but a near death experience and having to leave one's home for fear of being murdered by forces that you have no defense against against might make one feel differently towards someone that you saw only as an unwanted pest in the past. Petunia dosn't seem to have much guilt and is probably just as jealous of her sister's son as she was of her better looking magical sister - look at her son compared to Harry! I wonder if they survive?
Frequent Contributor
iheartbooks
0 Kudos

yes it was touching to see that dudley has a heart after all...im sorry but im a bit confused: what do they mean by CVs? sorry if its something silly that im an idiot for not realizing lol (it probaly is)
your heart is my pinata
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

CV=curriculum vitae. They wanted histories and references.

iheartbooks wrote:
yes it was touching to see that dudley has a heart after all...im sorry but im a bit confused: what do they mean by CVs? sorry if its something silly that im an idiot for not realizing lol (it probaly is)

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Wildflower wrote:
I really liked Dudley's actions is this chapter, it made me feel like, if Harry survives, he might actually have some family.

That is a good point. I hope this isn't totally the end of the Dursleys. There seems to be so many unanswered questions. I just felt there more to Petuna than what was apparent and there was some sort of deeper reason why they took on Harry to begin with.
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

I am like all of you I got all cleft with Dudley and when they said their goodbyes and Harry said "Bye Big D" oh that was a tearfull moment.
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

max2062 wrote:
I don't think Dudley is completely reformed but a near death experience and having to leave one's home for fear of being murdered by forces that you have no defense against against might make one feel differently towards someone that you saw only as an unwanted pest in the past. Petunia dosn't seem to have much guilt and is probably just as jealous of her sister's son as she was of her better looking magical sister - look at her son compared to Harry! I wonder if they survive?

Good point about Dudley's sudden affection for Harry. Harry has become a constant in the Dursleys' lives, and now Dudley, at least, is realizing that things are changing and that nothing is certain anymore. I wonder what Petunia was going to say? I think we will probably see more of the Dursleys, or at least Petunia, because, as someone else said, there does seem to be more to her than what we've seen in all the books so far. I kind of hope the Dursleys survive...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Users Online
Currently online: 17 members 257 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: