Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 30

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 30 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 30, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 30

ZOMG The battle of hogwarts begins LOL. I guess I never realized the potential Hogwarts held as a fortress. It seems that all the students/professors D.A. OoTP combined should be enough to stop Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters...talk about overkill :smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Jeezus, I wouldn't wanna be the DEs right now. They're facing one verifiable pissed off army with McG and the Order at the head of it. This fight will be something and I can't see Slugworth not coming through. Percy's return was great to see and some of the parts of this chapter brought a tear to my eye.

Loved to see the other teacher's light into Snape with such a rage even though the further in we get the more I doubt he's bad.

Was great seeing Harry use the curses he's never had the ability for before on those crappy Carrows along with McG. I get the feeling the DA is about to have it's brightest day in the sun.
New User
Cousins
0 Kudos

When I was reading the part when one of the Carrows spat on McG, I was totally in disgust. So when Harry surprised them I was glad to read he did the Cruciatus curse and finally meant it, rahter than to do Expelliarmus. I was cheering so loud when I read that part. Also i never understood why it was okay for the good wizards to use inforgivable curses, i always thought that someone would be surprised that harry used Imperio during the Gringotts break in and now this
Contributor
iDigHermione
0 Kudos

wow, this is crazy.

I want everyone who's fighting agains't Voldemort to know what Harry, Hermione, and Ron are looking for. To realize they need to destroy somehting of Ravenclaw's and Nagnini's (umm, spelling?) before Voldemort can be defeated.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Holy freakin' cow!

Okay, first thing's first, McGonagall rocks! I'm sure Patty was highly disappointed, but hooray! Minerva's been exonerated! No one can doubt her loyalty now! She's amazing, and Flitwick and Sprout, too. I think there's a little more to Snape's flying leap than meets the eye...I'm frustrated because I think I was probably wrong about him. I'd be okay with that if he hadn't killed Dumbledore. Grr...Greater Good or not, killing is wrong unless it's in self-defense and Dumbledore posed no threat to anyone. The idea of Dumbledore allowing himself to be killed just so that Snape could go deep undercover is horrible to me and that better not be what happened.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned the now blatantly-obvious fact that Ginny is a sitting duck. They leave her in the RoR with the only exit/entrance into the castle that hasn't been charmed or blocked. Harry is in love with her, which Voldemort probably knows. And Voldemort knows that at least 3 of his Horcruxes are missing and presumed destroyed. I don't know about y'all, but it sounds to me like Voldemort is going to find his way through that tunnel, kidnap Ginny and either convince Harry that he's going to or actually turn Ginny into a Horcrux so that Harry thinks he has to kill her in order to defeat him. That's just too horrible to even think about.

I'm at work right now and I just have to stop reading until I get home tonight. No more Harry for me for a few hours. I was fighting so hard not to cry when Percy showed up. I'm reading line-by-line with the rest of the page covered and as soon as I saw "Horn-rimmed glasses" I knew immediately.

Oh, and my current favorite line and the best McGonagall quote ever:

"I think so," said Professor McGonagall dryly, "we teachers are rather good at magic, you know." (595)

And I think Slughorn will come through with some Slytherins...maybe even more than they dare hope for.

And what happened to the Malfoys??? "Go the same way as the Malfoys..." Are they alive? Are they dead? Why do I care so much??

Message Edited by kpeterson32 on 07-25-2007 02:06 PM
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
iDigHermione
0 Kudos

Judging by Travers expression when he saw Hermione, posed as Lestrnage, carrying Lestrange's wand, I'm sure Voldemort punished them greatly for once again letting Harry slip from under their grips. Voldemort thinks that his time is the most important thing ever and gets very upset when he feels like he has wasted his time. Having showed up at the Malfoy's house to greet waht should of been Harry, I'm sure Voldemort seriously hurt the Malfoy's as they wanted to take all the fame for finally bring Potter to Voldemort.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

iDigHermione wrote:
Judging by Travers expression when he saw Hermione, posed as Lestrnage, carrying Lestrange's wand, I'm sure Voldemort punished them greatly for once again letting Harry slip from under their grips. Voldemort thinks that his time is the most important thing ever and gets very upset when he feels like he has wasted his time. Having showed up at the Malfoy's house to greet waht should of been Harry, I'm sure Voldemort seriously hurt the Malfoy's as they wanted to take all the fame for finally bring Potter to Voldemort.

I just wonder if they made it out alive. I'd be a little sad if they're already dead and we don't get to see Lucius finally brought to justice. I hope that maybe, somehow, Draco escaped and will show up with Slughorn and some of his fellow Slytherins to fight against Voldemort. Wouldn't that be cool?!?
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
New User
Rocketgrl97
0 Kudos

i onestly started crying when percy came in. its something ivehave been waiting to happen for a long time. this chapter and the start of the battle is the most "into" a book that ive been ever. im so excite.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Excellent chapter. McGonagall is amazing! And I'm so glad Percy has come back. I was hoping it would happen.
I still can't decide how I feel about Snape. I won't know until JKR tells us, and then I still probably won't know.
I was kind of shocked when Harry used the Cruciatus, as I was when he used the Imperius. They are Unforgivable Curses, and they are made to seem like the epitome of evil when a dark wizard or witch uses them, but then when Harry and McGonagall use them it isn't seen as a bad thing. If Harry had thought of Hermione or the Longbottoms enduring the Cruciatus, I bet he wouldn't have done it. He was just caught up in the heat of the moment, I guess. And I suppose that it isn't going to be seen as bad because they are doing this for some sort of good.
And you're right, kpeterson32; Ginny is in total danger right now, I'm afraid. Harry wanted to protect her, which is why he broke up with her, but now all that may be for nothing.
And where did Ron and Hermione run off to? Are they looking for the diadem? Visiting Moaning Myrtle, maybe? Trying to get into the Chamber of Secrets? Having a lovers' meeting? Hmmm...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
Krisleyyy
0 Kudos

OMG THIS CHAPTER WAS CRAzYYYYY!!!

okay...first thing on my mind is that Oliver wood is back!!! yessss ♥ I loveee him so much. Now, the escape with the dragon was crazy. (: But I loved it. I love the D.A for standing true. They are azaming. I don't understand why they want to fight so bad, it is true that Harry doesn't have to do everything alone, but this is Harry in the end who has to finish Voldemort.

I also don't comprehend why people won't accept the fact that there will always be secrets and lies.

It's amazing as well why Voldemort doesn't feel it when his horcruxes are damamged. Voldemort, so I thought, was bloody smart, but isn't or hasn't he realized yet that Harry is in his mind, and watching him? I mean to actually think about where his treasures are, it gave him away.

STUPID GOBLIN!! i knew i didn't like him --sorry that's off mark.

most importantly, where did Ron && hermione go? I would think that they would always be behind harry, even more now as the fight in Hogwarts approaches. But no, nowhere to be seen. Rather amazing. At first I thought that they acted alone, maybe they found out something harry didn't, like the Diadem, but harry find out about that.

Then I thought that maybe they wanted to loook for Harry so they left the D.A and went off, but then the craziest idea came to mind. What if Snape got them. I know it's a bit outstreached. But it makes sense. Why would Voldemort give them until Midnight. He wants harry to find out that it's his life or the lives of the ones that he has held most dearly. Thoes of Ron and Hermoine. What if snape was sent out to snatch them. Where else could they be. I mean think about it, in the 4th, when they went missing, they were a part of a game. did Harry know this?! no, but they were easily taken.

Oh, god it's raining.

Well I'm in the mmiddle of chapter 31. I must say that chapter 30 was crazier then any other so far. So many things happened I had to reread to proccess it all.

Except for Albaina...I can't remember what was said about it in the beginning of the book. It is killing me.

Oh, and Pansy needs to die -_-

Voldemort's voice in the walls.
I must admit he still is smart....

krisleyyy
and lather the blood on your hands,
Romeo.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 189 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: