Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 31

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 31 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 31, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 31

R.I.P. Fred :*(
Frequent Contributor
amberluvsron
0 Kudos

I was so happy when Ron and Hermione finally kissed!!!

But then Fred died, and... well let's just say some of the letters on my book page are smeared.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I feel sorriest for George. He must feel like he's been through an amputation.

ghostbuster wrote:

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Doubly so, dcsbelle, given his other loss as well.

~ConnieK

dcsbelle wrote:
I feel sorriest for George. He must feel like he's been through an amputation.

ghostbuster wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

No kidding. Poor George :smileysad:
Always thought both twins would live or die together...
Contributor
sense93
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I feel extra sorry for George. First, he looses his ear and now his twin. I cried. I'm really mad, too, because one moment I was all happy that Ron and Hermione kissed and then I was all sad after hearing that Fred (my favorite Weasley)died.

Message Edited by sense93 on 07-24-2007 07:40 AM
New User
Eirmendus_Sprout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
OMG WHY THE F*** [ED.] DID GEORGE HAVE TO DIE?!!!!!!!!!
*cries*
i actually cried. for 15 minutes. with my mom. yep.
omg fred was one of my favorite caracters, i love him so much. i will never forget him.

rest in peace fred.

*(

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-24-2007 02:22 PM
Contributor
momoflpa
0 Kudos

ok i mean this was an awesome chapter and all how everyone came together... but fred. was that necessary? i feel so sad. so is that her 2nd and final death besides VD hopfully? wasnt there suppose to be just 2 deaths? anyways so sad and kinda man right now
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

momoflpa wrote:
ok i mean this was an awesome chapter and all how everyone came together... but fred. was that necessary? i feel so sad. so is that her 2nd and final death besides VD hopfully? wasnt there suppose to be just 2 deaths? anyways so sad and kinda man right now

A common misconception, momoflpa. She said that two people she didn't expect to die did. She never said only two major characters would die.

My reaction after reading this chapter was No! Not Fred! I always loved him and I can't imagine how George will take the news, if he survives the battle. But at least Fred went out exactly as he would have wanted to, fighting evil and cracking a joke.

It was wonderful that Ron and Hermione finally kissed, and such a great moment. JKR really needed to break up the intense action of the scene with a little snogging. Loved it!

But where the heck is Ginny?? Has she gone off to join the fray or has she been kidnapped yet? Because I'm certain Harry is going to see Ginny in danger before the night is through (or the morning, since I guess it's now after midnight). I'm afraid someone is going to end up dying to rescue Ginny. Please not Ron, please not Ron!

Will Goyle and Malfoy honor the Wizard's Debt they have incurred? Will they be the Slytherins that help defeat Voldemort and subsequently unite the houses as we have been told repeatedly must happen? If not, then I propose that, after the war is over, Slytherin House be disbanded and a new house be created in its stead: Dumbledore.

Poor Hogwarts is being torn down brick by brick. Will it rebuild itself? Will the survivors rebuild it by hand or by magic?
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

I felt so empty to read about Fred dying, I kept hopin it wasn't true. And Percy wow never thought he'd hang on so tight, that was totally emotional. Glad they all made up when he came back.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
New User
Rubyslippers1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Now that my make-up its totally smudged at work and I have no clue how to concentrate for the rest of the day with only about 100 pages to go...FRED?????? I had a feeling a Weasley was going to die but I guess all along I suspected it would be Bill for some reason. Brutal end to the chapter, after the rally (OMG I jsut wanted to start singing Do you Want to Hear the People Sing from Les Miserables) and after the kiss..what an emotional roller coaster JKR has us on.

I have always had a feeling that Draco was going to do good in the end. Now that he is indebted to Harry I think that is possible.

Okay, if 2 die that JKR said she did not intend to, are we done? Moody, Doby (He counts doesn't he b/c that hit me hard), and now Fred....or is Fred merely the first one she did not intend to fall and there is still at least one remaining? I cant imagine that Voldemort will be the only death in the final 100 pages..and who is going to get a reprieve? I once thought Snape but am not so convinced of that at this point.....

And in response to the comment about Hogworts being torn to bits. What book or story was it where the good guys win and everything is dessimated and in need of being rebuilt? My mind is drawing a blank on that one but something is ringing a bell.

Message Edited by Rubyslippers1 on 07-26-2007 02:26 PM
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I'm so shaken up after that chapter!!! I was rejoicing amazingly when Ron and Hermione FINALLY kissed, after seven books of wondering when it was going to happen. It was a great way to break the tension, and it was an absolutely beautiful moment.
I'm so proud of Harry for rescuing Malfoy and Goyle!! He's such a decent person. He totally could have let them die because they have been so awful to him, but he didn't. Go Harry!!!
And another Horcrux is gone. That leaves just Nagini, right? Unless Harry is a Horcrux, in which case there is Nagini and Harry.
I can't believe Fred died!!!!!!!!! I got chills when I read that. I probably would cry, but I hardly ever cry at books or movies. (Dumbledore's death made me get a bit teary-eyed, but I wasn't sobbing uncontrollably or anything.) I feel awful for George, too. Who is he going to joke around with now? I think his joking days are probably over. He won't ever be the same after losing such a huge part of him (something much more important than his ear). :smileysad: :smileysad:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
HarryIsMyHomeboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dayrenm wrote:
I felt so empty to read about Fred dying, I kept hopin it wasn't true. And Percy wow never thought he'd hang on so tight, that was totally emotional. Glad they all made up when he came back.

I was so sad when Fred died :smileysad:

It's strange, because that death never even occurred to me-something about the twins seemed completely untouchable. I think that may have been JK's intention, because during times of war, everything is uncertain, and what you think you know could be completely wrong. Mad-Eye's death proved that...he was the best of the best as an Auror: he also seemed untouchable, but he, too, was killed.

Devastating...I can't imagine what that must have been like for George, who was never without Fred. After all he had already suffered through in the book, it seems doubly sad. And Percy too, who had only just reconciled with his family. I'm sure he didn't want to let go because he was thinking about the time he could have had with Fred but missed, because he had been gone. That was especially emotional...I was sobbing...

On the plus side, we finally got to see Ron and Hermione kiss! Awww! Ickle Ronnikins finally got SPEW, and earned himself a smooch! :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by HarryIsMyHomeboy on 08-07-2007 11:11 PM
Anya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
UGH!!!! I'm so frustrated by the whole Fred dying thing!!

For one thing, Fred has more lines in the books, commonly known fact. Then Fred dies - and what does George get??? A LINE. Plus some thing about him, Lee and a death eater later on. [ED.] JK give his grief some respect!! He's lost his twin!! He wouldn't just be "kneeling at Fred's head"!

Ugh. I dunno. I just felt thoroughly unfulfilled as we have no idea what happens to him afterwards. He's never been without his twin until that point. It's messed. Plus I'm sure he'd be a d*** sight more upset than Percy.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-08-2007 11:01 AM
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 676 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: