Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 33

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 33 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 33, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
New User
bfalcon
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 33

I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! Dumbledore knew what he was doing! It even shows how Petunia knew about Azkaban when it was mentioned in Book 5 . My heart is breaking because of Snape being killed but I am so glad the truth came out about him. I was a tad nervous when I started reading this last book. But I love it so far.
Contributor
annie-w
0 Kudos

This chapter broke my heart, I was so completely wrong about Snape, I kept think after Book 6 came out that maybe he was just protecting Draco, but then during the book he kept giving up Harry I was so confused and then this chapter, oh my!! I loved the book so much!!
Contributor
Harrypotteraholic
0 Kudos

i liked lilys nick name for petunia, Tuney. i also noticed that lilys parents named both there kids after flowers poor petunia she shouldn't have been mean to her sister and as for snape loving her *shivers*
it would have been odd if snape had been harrys father i also think james was jelous of snape because of his close friendship with lily i also feel bad for him becuz he said something that made him lose his best friend. poor severus i fell bad for him he didnt deserve to die voldermort snuffed out a nother life cuz he overlooked something some vilian always making mistakes hmph
Frequent Contributor
halfscripts
0 Kudos

I KNEW DUMBLEDORE WAS RIGHT ABOUT SNAPE!!!!!!!!

Oh, how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying.
Proud B&N Musicseller since 2005!
myspace.com/railroadsounds
Contributor
Harrypotteraholic
0 Kudos

poor snape he died cuz voldemorts a butthead
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

The man loved Lily until he died, and hated James the same... but when he first saw Harry, his hate of James showed in his words, but his love for lily in his actions...

Great Man Snape... Great Man...
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I'm SO glad Snape turned out good. Poor guy! He was misunderstood all those years but it was really his own fault for being so nasty to Harry and friends.
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Contributor
teriandcb
0 Kudos

So cool to find out who actually gave Harry the sword. I was happy to see that Snape didn't kill Dumbledore out of hate---I had suspected there had been some sort of plan between them so it was great to finally know it.
Contributor
Harrypotteraholic
0 Kudos

sev I like that nickname, and as somebody else said saddest moment in HP history

''Look...at...me'' he whispered. The green eyes found the black, but after a second, something in the depths of the dark pair seemed to vanish, leaving them fixed,blank, and empty. The hand holding Harry thudded to the floor, and Snape moved no more. - Page 658 in Deathly Hallows
Contributor
jmljasmine
0 Kudos

I was right! JK had me doubting my loyalty to Snape but I was write in the end. And I so predicted the Harry Potter and Voldemort thing! I love this chapter. Everything goes together.
Contributor
teriandcb
0 Kudos

After re-reading this chapter, I'm wondering how Snape was able to talk to Dumbledore's picture at Hogwarts before Harry left the Dursleys. Snape wasn't Headmaster til later in the book and I think he would be noticed trying to sneak into Hogwarts. Also, how did the Dumbledore portrait know about the change in plans to get Harry out before the end of the month? Was this planned before Dumbledore died or did he have another portrait where the OOP met? Any ideas?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

teriandcb wrote:
After re-reading this chapter, I'm wondering how Snape was able to talk to Dumbledore's picture at Hogwarts before Harry left the Dursleys. Snape wasn't Headmaster til later in the book and I think he would be noticed trying to sneak into Hogwarts. Also, how did the Dumbledore portrait know about the change in plans to get Harry out before the end of the month? Was this planned before Dumbledore died or did he have another portrait where the OOP met? Any ideas?

Maybe he was able to make a portkey to get in or maybe he was able to connect to the Floo network. There were all sorts of Dark Wizards working in those Ministry offices by then...
Contributor
HarryPotter115
0 Kudos

I always knew snape was good.
Contributor
quidditchprincess2007
0 Kudos

I knew it. I told my sister that Snape was good and was protecting Harry all along. I knew he loved Lily. Dumbledore was right to trust him.
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

halfscripts wrote:
I KNEW DUMBLEDORE WAS RIGHT ABOUT SNAPE!!!!!!!!

Yep. Never doubted it. Though I have to admit I underestimated the depth and extent of his love for Lily.

Wish we could have had a glimpse of post-Tower Snape among the memory montage; I'd love to see how Snape dealt w. DD's death.

And too, since her friendship meant so much to him, I wonder why he never broke off relations w. the Death Eaters and try to live more a life she could respect. It would have been the one thing which *might* have undone the damage of that one careless word.
Contributor
JaYzRICH
0 Kudos

Wow, This chapter was just so touching, snapes love was incredible, I LOVE THIS BOOK!
New User
vickithepotterfan
0 Kudos

It was very sad how Sev had to die. Harry and Snape could have had a lasting relationship, if not for Voldemort. I do love the fact though, that Snape was able to see the eyes of the woman he loved one last time as he died. Now I know he's joined Lily and everyone else... wherever it is that fallen wizards go.
There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione's arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet. - Page 625 (I waited 10 years for that moment)
New User
Cousins
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
"You are a braver man by far than Igor Karkaroff. You know I sometimes think we Sort too soon..." Im sure that was the greatest compliment Snape has ever heard anyone give him in his life.

From the tip of his wand burst the silver doe: She landed on the office floor, bounded once across the offcie, and soared out of the window. Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape

That part made me realize that Snape was indeed a great man. He sacrificed his own life for the damage he caused in the past to the Potters. He loved Lily so much, and he would finally get a chance to see her again for his hard work of making up for past sins.

Message Edited by Cousins on 07-24-2007 02:38 PM
New User
Visionaria4
0 Kudos

This was mentioned already but nobody had any possible explanations-- we now know that Snape found out about the plan from Dumbledore, but where did Dumbledore find out from? I thought maybe Mundungus was Snape's informant and Snape had told Dumbledore and they were just discussing it, but that doesn't make sense because from that conversation it didn't seem as though Snape has any real contact with Mundungus outside from that one time. I also thought maybe Dumbledore visited another portrait to find out, but there is none at the Burrow (new OOTP headquarters), so that made no sense either. Anybody have an idea?
"To the youngsters of today, I say believe in the future, the world is getting better..." ~Walt Disney
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 254 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: