Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 34

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 34 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 34, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Contributor
teriandcb
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 34

Such an emotional chapter. I had tears in my eyes as Harry talked to his parents/friends about death. Happy to see Hagrid alive too.
Contributor
lpchk00
0 Kudos

Only tears in your eyes?? I envy you! I was bawling. I started bawling in the previous chapter when it came out that Harry had to die...but I couldnt take it. Talking to everyone he loved and lost :smileysad:

I did find it curious at first that Dumbledore wasn't there with them. But understandable now.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!
Contributor
quidditchprincess2007
0 Kudos

I was tearing up so bad when he talked to his parents. It was all I could do not to break down in the cafe at the local B&N.
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

I feel let down and a little betrayed. After chiding Snape so severely for not caring whether others die so long as he gets what he wants, how could he keep Harry alive just so he could die at the right time?

Alright, I've read the rest the book so I know some of the reasons, but STILL...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

quidditchprincess2007 wrote:
I was tearing up so bad when he talked to his parents. It was all I could do not to break down in the cafe at the local B&N.

The line that especially got to me was when he specifically asked his mother to stay near him.... I just lost it at that point!
Contributor
momoflpa
0 Kudos

ive never cried so hard from a book. my heart is broken when i read the he must died i was mad. i understand it all even if it is a little twisted. but this breaks my heart. no good byes to ginny or hermionie and ron. no explination theya re all goin gto wounder and never know the truth about snape or DD or any of it it sucks!! iam seriusly pissed
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I feel a little numb, to be honest. So I didn't really cry in this chapter. The only time I came close was when he asked his mother to stay with him.

Harry's not dead. He can't be. I refuse to accept it. He's not dead. It's ridiculous. There's not a good enough reason for it, I don't care what y'all say. So he's not dead.

(And in case any of you are wondering, yes, I really am stopping in between each chapter to write this stuff. I'm trying very hard to strengthen my willpower.)

I do like, though, that JKR writes about the fear that Harry feels as he faces (what he believes to be) his death. That's a very real, true emotion. Instead of making Harry hardened and resolved, he's frightened and wants to know if it's going to hurt. For the next chapter, at least, I will continue to believe she is a gifted author. :smileyhappy:
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

It was so sad I couldn't stop crying since I heard what I already knew but this just comfirmed it that Harry must die. He was a horcrux how awful. I was almost determined to not keep reading, but knowing JK she might have a twist.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

momoflpa wrote:
ive never cried so hard from a book. my heart is broken when i read the he must died i was mad. i understand it all even if it is a little twisted. but this breaks my heart. no good byes to ginny or hermionie and ron. no explination theya re all goin gto wounder and never know the truth about snape or DD or any of it it sucks!! iam seriusly pissed

I know I felt the worst when he was under the cloak on the way to the dark forest and he saw ginny, I just wished he could have said goodbye, kissed and all. But that would have made the whole process that much more harder. He problably would not have gone thru with it. But it wsa so sad. :smileysad:
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

I was weeping through this whole chapter. It made it really difficult because I was reading it out loud.
Contributor
Phebemarie
0 Kudos

I can understand why Jo said this was the most emotional chapter for her to write in Hallows.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

WOW. I'm trying not to cry right now. I sort of cried a little bit during this chapter, too. But not when Harry died, I guess because I was expecting that; it was when James and Sirius and Lupin and Lily showed up to talk to him, and Harry asked his mother to stay by him.
I was kind of sad he didn't say anything to Ron or Hermione or Ginny. But they would have tried to talk him out of it, and I'm sure Hermione would have Disapparated with him and tied him up so he couldn't march off to his death, or something like that. And poor Ginny. Their romance in book six was so short-lived, and then she hardly got to see Harry after that.
Something tells me that Ron and Hermione and everyone else will learn about Snape and Dumbledore. Snape's memories are still in the Pensieve, aren't they?
I think Ron and Hermione will have a kid named Harry.
And Ginny will...I don't know.
But Nagini will be killed, I'm sure, which means Voldemort will be gone!!
I'm kind of aching right now. I'm almost finished with the book, though...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
New User
sbugarin
0 Kudos

I started to cry when he asked, "Does it hurt?" I had to stop reading and calm myself so I could breathe again.
Frequent Contributor
HarryIsMyHomeboy
0 Kudos

This was (for me at least) not only the most emotional chapter of the book, but of the entire series. Cold chills were running through my spine the entire of Chapter 34, and as soon as Harry took out the snitch, realized what 'the close' was and whispered the words, "I am about to die"...I was sobbing uncontrollably.

Then, seeing James, Lily, Sirius and Lupin - the four people Harry loved the most and lost so tragically; it was utterly heart-wrenching for me. When Lily looked into Harry's eyes and told him how brave he was; when James told his son how proud he was of him; when Harry was apologizing to Lupin; and especially when Harry asked them to stay by him, I had tears streaming hot and fast down my cheeks.

I read all the books outloud to my dad, and I had to stop reading and try to gain composure because I was emotionally struggling so much with this chapter. Even after several deep breaths, there was a very noticeable catch in my voice, and while I tried to keep it at bay, tears continued to stream down my face.

In addition to all that, the other thing that struck me and brought me to tears was how incredibly brave Harry was - even when he broke down, even though he was wrought was unimaginable pain and sadness and questions of 'why,' he forced himself to keep going, because he knew that this was what he had to do. Harry (in book seven) is my age, and it was all too easy for me to try and imagine myself in Harry's shoes; and to imagine feeling what he was feeling as we walked into those woods for what he thought was the last time. It wasn't death that Harry was afraid of...no, it was more what he was leaving behind. (My goodness, tears are falling even now as I am writing this...)

Harry was being selfless, he didn't want to die, he didn't want to leave his friends and his loved ones behind to face Voldemort alone, but he was going to sacrifice himself anyway, for (as Dumbledore was fond of saying) "the greater good."

But even as he emerged into the clearing that the Acromantulas had once occupied, knowing in his mind that he was but seconds from death, he remained full of love, and of hope. He was afraid, yes, who wouldn't be? But very few men could emerge into that clearing as Harry did, full of fear but also full on an inexplicable bravery, chivalry and selflessness, so as to not even draw his wand-it was because he had accepted what had to happen. He was full of a bravery unto his own, the sort of bravery that singularly proves why he was in Gryffindor, why he was such a loyal friend, we he had the ability to love as he did, and why he was, whether he thought it or not, a hero.

"The Forest Again" was the chapter that moved me beyond even what I was expecting. I have re-read that chapter three times now, and without fail, I succumb to tears every time I read it.
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
HarryIsMyHomeboy--Thank you so much for your heartfelt post. You sum up so well the thoughts and feelings of so many readers who love this chapter.

~ConnieK

HarryIsMyHomeboy wrote, in part:
This was (for me at least) not only the most emotional chapter of the book, but of the entire series.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-31-2007 12:46 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
bookworm777
0 Kudos

Why is this chapeter called The Forest Again? When did he go into the forest before? Just curious?
Contributor
maraudersmap316
0 Kudos

the first time i read Hallows i was like ok whatever its abook. Then after i read the complete series (for the last time, i wish to give Harry a proper farewell/retirement) i was on the verge of crying. I cant really even explain my feelings.
Mischief Managed
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I have yet to reread the series altogether, maraudermap, and I've often wondered how readers feel when they get to this chapter again after doing so. I'm sure it is quite moving. Thanks.

~ConnieK

maraudersmap316 wrote:
the first time i read Hallows i was like ok whatever its abook. Then after i read the complete series (for the last time, i wish to give Harry a proper farewell/retirement) i was on the verge of crying. I cant really even explain my feelings.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-22-2007 08:24 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader 2
ElectricLady
0 Kudos

Thats kind of what I'm hoping for I started rereading the series when I finished DH for the 2nd time. I'm on Goblet of Fire now. I was so absolutely disappointed by this chapter. I felt like JKR wouldn't have made such a huge thing about Harry dying if it were really going to happen. So I didn't believe it and I was right Harry ended up living. I feel like if she were going to kill a loved character it would be sudden and you wouldn't expect it. Kinda like how Fred died. She wouldn't write a whole chapter about the persons death when theres 3 chapters left in the book if he were really going to kick the bucket. So I didn't feel as emotional during this chapter as I wanted to. I wanted to cry, bawl, get torn to pieces, and I got nothing. But what surprises me about this is that when I read HBP and I've read that book about 3 times I cry every single time from the end of The Lightning Struck Tower to the end. Every time.
Users Online
Currently online: 5 members 486 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: