Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 35

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 35 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 35, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Contributor
arassi
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 35

I LOVE this chapter. I knew Dumbledore would give Harry advice. I also like that Harry was given the chance to have any blanks filled in by his mentor.

What was up with that baby, though? Was it Voldemort? Harry?
Reader
rmb256
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I really liked this chapter too. I think the baby thing was Voldemort. Only because that's what kind of shape he was in before he was regenerated in GoF and it seemed to be dying and Dumbledore said that the part of Voldemort in Harry was gone now/dead.

Message Edited by rmb256 on 07-22-2007 08:00 PM
New User
JmgJ
0 Kudos

i agree i think it was the voldemort part of harry that was now dying and i love the last three paragraphs: "'Tell me one last thing,' said Harry. 'Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?' Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure. 'Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'"
Deathly Hallows 723

i find that funny
Contributor
quidditchprincess2007
0 Kudos

JmgJ wrote:
i agree i think it was the voldemort part of harry that was now dying and i love the last three paragraphs: "'Tell me one last thing,' said Harry. 'Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?' Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure. 'Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'"
Deathly Hallows 723

i find that funny

I loved that part too. I also agree that the thing is Voldemort or at least part of his soul that was inside Harry.
New User
tricia1116
0 Kudos

Ok i couldnt put this in the chapter that it belongs because i didnt want to give it away but since both Harry and LV are decendents from a brother of the deathly hallows that would make them cousins right (god know how many times removed but they would still be related thru harrys fathers side)
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

tricia1116 wrote:
Ok i couldnt put this in the chapter that it belongs because i didnt want to give it away but since both Harry and LV are decendents from a brother of the deathly hallows that would make them cousins right (god know how many times removed but they would still be related thru harrys fathers side)

Yes, very distant cousins from the Peverell connection. Since we don't know how many generations back those brothers lived, we can't determine how closely related they are, but I think we could say that they are no closer than 5th cousins...

We have to be careful and not think that this also means that Harry is related to Slytherin, though. Any one of the second brother's descendents could have married into the Slytherin family and Harry would remain totally unrelated to Slytherin.
New User
tricia1116
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

tricia1116 wrote:

Yes, very distant cousins from the Peverell connection. Since we don't know how many generations back those brothers lived, we can't determine how closely related they are, but I think we could say that they are no closer than 5th cousins...

We have to be careful and not think that this also means that Harry is related to Slytherin, though. Any one of the second brother's descendents could have married into the Slytherin family and Harry would remain totally unrelated to Slytherin.

Thanks I just find it fitting that a member of LV family is the one that killed him
New User
fredo
0 Kudos

What IS up with that baby? If it was all in Harry's head, deep down he must have manifested it. Dumbledore seemed ok with the fact that it was beyond help? Could it have to do with the guilt of having tonks and lupin gone and as godfather, not being able to care for it...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

fredo wrote:
What IS up with that baby? If it was all in Harry's head, deep down he must have manifested it. Dumbledore seemed ok with the fact that it was beyond help? Could it have to do with the guilt of having tonks and lupin gone and as godfather, not being able to care for it...

Oh, no! That is the horcrux that was just disconnected from Harry. It's evil.
New User
librarybookgrl
0 Kudos

Harry was a horcrux, so when LV tried to kill him in the forest, he killed that bit of himself that was in Harry. I think the baby thing on the floor is that bit...In terms of Harry manifesting it, even though it is in his head, what was happening was real, as Dumbledore told him as the scene was fading. I really hope it has nothing to do with the Lupins' baby.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I really don't know what to say. I knew Harry wasn't going to die (although she did have me a little worried for a minute there) but I think I spent too much time discussing what was going to happen. Everything that I argued was so illogical was exactly the way it happened which makes it very difficult for me to accept it. Not because I didn't think it was going to happen, but because I had very carefully constructed arguments as to why it wouldn't. I'm a little frustrated. More than a little, really.

But yes, I agree that the little scabby baby thing was the part of Voldemort's soul inside Harry that is now dying. That's why it's beyond their help.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
crw1204
0 Kudos

The detruction of LV's soul gets a bit confusing when a bit of it that should have been destroyed with Harry's death turns up as a bit of baby in Harry's "white light" (King's Cross). I mean, it seems that there should be no baby at all, or at least it should just self-destruct. The living Voldemort remains because of Nagini, not because of the baby. Harry lives because of Harry's blood in Voldemort. But Voldemort cannot die until his soul is completely gone, and this scene implies that the scabby bit of soul went to some kind of afterlife. Odd. I can only assume that Voldemort's soul extinguishes, as it must, as soon as Harry leaves his King's Cross station.

Any other thoughts?
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

What a relief, so Harry didn't die. That makes me feel loads better. I couldn't imagine him dead. I love his little chat with DD. Harry and I got many answers.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Contributor
iDigHermione
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
uhh, I posted a comment, but realized it had spoilers, so I'll add it to the end.

Message Edited by iDigHermione on 07-26-2007 07:48 PM
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

The thing I though was most powerful about this chapter is the choice Harry has at the end of it. He can go "On" to the next great adventure or he can go back to his life: the pain of his body and the grief that he will share with all his friends after the battle. It's almost like the sacrifice is actually living and dying would be the release.

narnianmum
Frequent Contributor
Lily_Potter_LVR
0 Kudos

Are there any thoughts on Snape? How much he loved Lily Potter? I myself think it was a pretty un expected twist. Especially when it showed the scene when he was crying over Lily's letter and photograph.
Hey, I'm "Paws"
Favorite books/series:
Harry Potter
Warriors series by Erin Hunter
Inkheart
Eragon+Eldest
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Hey, Lily_Potter_LVR, there's a great discussion on Snape/Lily for chapter 33, if you haven't already found it.
So Harry isn't dead? Okay. I guess I was wrong about that one.
I was right about the fact that he was a Horcrux, though. That makes me kind of happy.
I was glad to see Dumbledore in this chapter, tying up most of the loose ends. I also loved that he admitted his faults and errors, because even though we heard about them, they seem so much more real when Dumbledore talks about them himself. It's kind of nice to know he's not perfect and that he acknowledges it.
The baby thing freaked me out a little. My first thought was that it was the Lupins' baby, but I'm pretty sure it's not. It must be the part of Voldemort's soul that was in Harry. Maybe because Voldemort transferred that part of himself to Harry when Harry was a baby?
Anyhow, there's one chapter and the epilogue left. I expect we'll know everything by the end. Only 37 pages left and it's all over! :smileysad:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

k--Your initial response is one that many readers had initially. Some readers have chosen to re-read the book right away and feel differently; others still feel disappointed in some way. Others loved the book as soon as they finished the last page! You'll see lots of reactions if you go (or have gone already?) to the "Ministry of Spoilers" board.

~ConnieK

kpeterson32 wrote:
I really don't know what to say. I knew Harry wasn't going to die (although she did have me a little worried for a minute there) but I think I spent too much time discussing what was going to happen. Everything that I argued was so illogical was exactly the way it happened which makes it very difficult for me to accept it. Not because I didn't think it was going to happen, but because I had very carefully constructed arguments as to why it wouldn't. I'm a little frustrated. More than a little, really.

But yes, I agree that the little scabby baby thing was the part of Voldemort's soul inside Harry that is now dying. That's why it's beyond their help.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
JSWebster
0 Kudos

I imagine Rowling sitting at her desk, pounding her head in frustration, saying to herself, "I have all this information that Harry needs to know for the plot to proceed, but how in You-Know-Who's name am I going to do this?" The solution—a near-death experience/conversation with AD—strikes me as moderately desperate; if wizards had machines, this would be a deux ex machina. It simply doesn't seem credible to me. Why didn't Dumbledore impart this information, while he was still alive, in the form of, say, a time-triggered letter of some sort, rather than a cheesy quasi-mystical experience that only Trelawney could have dreamed up?
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 626 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: