Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 4

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 4 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 4, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 4

I figured Hagrid would die, and I figured it would be early. Hedwig though, never saw that coming.
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

I think you misread something, Hagrid didn't die but yeah, Hedwig did.
New User
bandnerd123
0 Kudos

Yea i know i woudnt think that Hedwig would die
Contributor
HarryPotter115
0 Kudos

I cant belive Hedwig Died, and he lost his firebolt.
Contributor
jmljasmine
0 Kudos

Wow! JK sure didn't wait long!
Contributor
Nelle07
0 Kudos

Yeah, I was really shocked at Hedwig. That chapter was intense and FULL of action already!! Well I'm off to read the next chapter.
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I was sad to see Hedwig die. I loved that owl.

Message Edited by LiveUrLife on 07-21-2007 04:01 PM
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Now we know Snape is definitely on Voldemort's side. I caught the part where Moody says he convinced the DEs that they weren't moving Harry until the 30th.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

I was shocked at Hedwig totally....that just came out of the blue and it served the purpose to strike everyone as how real it all was.

I can't believe Harry didn't just nail Stan off his broom. I know it would be a danger to Stan but to give himself away with all these people working so hard to protect him seems senseless.

K I'll bite my tongue on Snape reading the opening of this it just feels to easy for Snape to be bad really. His ambiguity has reigned for so long I don't know that him giving up this info so quickly totally kills it.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

allenctynimrod wrote:
I was shocked at Hedwig totally....that just came out of the blue and it served the purpose to strike everyone as how real it all was.

I can't believe Harry didn't just nail Stan off his broom. I know it would be a danger to Stan but to give himself away with all these people working so hard to protect him seems senseless.

K I'll bite my tongue on Snape reading the opening of this it just feels to easy for Snape to be bad really. His ambiguity has reigned for so long I don't know that him giving up this info so quickly totally kills it.

But, allen, the debate has raged between fans. You read the Mugglenet/Leaky Cauldron interview after HBP. JKR answered the Snape question with, "You read the book, what do you think?" I think she felt she answered the question of his loyalty when he killed Dumbledore. Now she's said it definitively with Snape giving Voldemort information about the real date they were moving Harry.

I might be wrong, though. I've only gotten to Chapter 9 so far. But I think the answer has been given.

As for Stan...is he really under the Imperius Curse? Harry needs to be a little less trusting of people now or he's going to get himself hurt.

And yes, I too was very sad about Hedwig.
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

K I understand where you're coming from but really I think Snape giving up the plan goes back to Snape's self preservation. If he has the info and doesn't give it up again he is in trouble with LV. Notice his info on the date was right but he had no idea of the 7 Potter idea so it made his info not quite so good. I don't know which side Snape is on anymore I was to the point of totally evil but now I'm doubting it as well. The more I read the more some of the Snape is good stuff seems to strike me. I'm only on chapter 14 but I know stuff could change and quick. We shall see either way I'm already loving the ride.
Contributor
mermaidgirl
0 Kudos

The chapter started with a melancholy feel as Harry was reminiscing about the house and what has happened since he has lived in the house. Then when everyone arrived Harry felt such a happiness that all these people really do care for him.

Hagrid arriving on Sirius' motorbike was a nice bit of closure. Harry started his life at #4 Privet Drive arriving on the motorbike and now is leaving for the last time on it. I was SO sad about Hedwig - she was upset and pouting the last day they were together - not a nice way to leave things. Again, regarding closure, Hagrid gave Hedwig to Harry and was there when she was killed.
Contributor
lhendrie
0 Kudos

mermaidgirl wrote:
The chapter started with a melancholy feel as Harry was reminiscing about the house and what has happened since he has lived in the house. Then when everyone arrived Harry felt such a happiness that all these people really do care for him.

Hagrid arriving on Sirius' motorbike was a nice bit of closure. Harry started his life at #4 Privet Drive arriving on the motorbike and now is leaving for the last time on it. I was SO sad about Hedwig - she was upset and pouting the last day they were together - not a nice way to leave things. Again, regarding closure, Hagrid gave Hedwig to Harry and was there when she was killed.

I agree the use of Sirus' motor bike gave 4 Privet Drive closure. I do believe that we will see the Dursley's again. Hedwig was a shock. Voldemort has managed to kill everyone that Harry has loved and this time without even knowing what he had done.
Contributor
Harrypotteraholic
0 Kudos

Poor hedwig. She was a good owl and he lost his faithful broomstick from Sirius dang DE's this chapter sucked I don't see why hedwig couldn't have just burst out off her cage and fly to the burrow
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

RIP Hedwig
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
Tonks07
0 Kudos

my guess is things were just to hectic and Harry didn't have the forsite to think that havign her travel in her cage was dangerous in any way.

R.I.P hedwig You'll be missed :smileysad:

I almost had kittens when it appeared that Hagrid got smooshed too, glad that wasn't the case.Man...
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I can't believe Hedwig's gone...tears already. She was on my short list of characters I absolutely wanted to live. :smileysad::smileysad:
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Plus he had no idea where he was headed, so he wouldn't have known if she could find him. I think that's why he took her with him. But it was very sad.

Allen! NO! You can't abandon me on the Evil Snape side! I believe he's still redeemable, but for now I believe that he's doing everything intentionally for Voldemort.

Tonks07 wrote:
my guess is things were just to hectic and Harry didn't have the forsite to think that havign her travel in her cage was dangerous in any way.

R.I.P hedwig You'll be missed :smileysad:

I almost had kittens when it appeared that Hagrid got smooshed too, glad that wasn't the case.Man...

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hedwig taking a fall was a surprise to me. I remember when someone on the "Waiting for Harry" board brought up whether or not Hedwig would die and I thought the person was kind of straining for a topic to talk about (as we all were by the end of the waiting time!). I hadn't even thought of it one way or the other--but here we go--and so early in the book, too! Sad. :smileysad:

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 205 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: