Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
iheartbooks
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 4

what happened to accio cage or accio firebolt???!!!??? i kept on screaming that as i was reading lol
your heart is my pinata
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Using "Accio cage" would have been futile since Hedwig was already AK'ed. As for the Firebolt I guess Harry had his hands full just keeping himself alive.

iheartbooks wrote:
what happened to accio cage or accio firebolt???!!!??? i kept on screaming that as i was reading lol

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
Using "Accio cage" would have been futile since Hedwig was already AK'ed. As for the Firebolt I guess Harry had his hands full just keeping himself alive.

iheartbooks wrote:

Also given this attack I have my doubts that Harry would've found broom travel very safe at this time either.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
I can't believe Hedwig's gone...tears already. She was on my short list of characters I absolutely wanted to live. :smileysad::smileysad:

I too was shocked at Hedwig sudden death. But in some ways it might have been literary necessity so Harry didn't have to deal with a pet and a cage in this book. Also, Hedwig and the Dursley's were part of Harry's childhood. He is now severing all ties with his childhood and taking on the full responsibilities of a man. Hedwig's death (the death of a snowy white owl) is symbolically the end of all innocence.
Contributor
xoxocutiexoxo
0 Kudos

___________________________________________________________________________________
Now we know Snape is definitely on Voldemort's side. I caught the part where Moody says he convinced the DEs that they weren't moving Harry until the 30th.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Actually it was Yaxley who told voldermort the right plan and i think that snape said the wrong plan so basically its snape who is our side....
..::ME::..
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

Now now lets not be to hasty and think Snape is bad yet it is only chapter 4. Yes J.K. did not wait very long to kill someone. Oh when i thought Hagrid was dead I have tear stains on my book. I had to get up from the book. Poor Madeye wonder where is eye went?
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Poor Hedwig! I'll miss her...
Does she qualify as one of the "at least two major characters" who JKR said would die in this book? I think there will be a lot of deaths in this book; I'm just wondering who qualifies as "major". I'm thinking Hedwig isn't one of them.
A chapter of contradictions, no? First we have the sad reminiscing of the good memories at Privet Drive, then the lighthearted conversation between Tonks and Harry, then the seriousness of Mad Eye, then the humor once Fred, George, Hermione, Ron, Fleur, and Mundungus take the Polyjuice Potion ("Bill, don't look at me -- I'm 'ideous."), and then the serious turmoil in the skies. WOW. I didn't expect it to get so intense so quickly. But I'm happy we have the Order members in the story now. Off to read chapter 5...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
iheartbooks
0 Kudos

allenctynimrod wrote:

dcsbelle wrote:

iheartbooks wrote:

Also given this attack I have my doubts that Harry would've found broom travel very safe at this time either.

it must have been safer than falling a few hundred feet in a sidecar, but i guess debbie is right, he must have had his hands full.
your heart is my pinata
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

iheartbooks wrote:

allenctynimrod wrote:

dcsbelle wrote:

iheartbooks wrote:

it must have been safer than falling a few hundred feet in a sidecar, but i guess debbie is right, he must have had his hands full.

Ah not necessarily....Harry was on the bike and survived.....Mad Eye was on a broom and did not.....
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

You make some very valid points, some that I struggled with when I was reading this chapter. However, I still can't let myself believe that Snape is totally on the evil side. Dumbledore believed in him and I don't want to believe that Dumbledore was wrong.

kpeterson32 wrote:

allenctynimrod wrote:
I was shocked at Hedwig totally....that just came out of the blue and it served the purpose to strike everyone as how real it all was.

I can't believe Harry didn't just nail Stan off his broom. I know it would be a danger to Stan but to give himself away with all these people working so hard to protect him seems senseless.

K I'll bite my tongue on Snape reading the opening of this it just feels to easy for Snape to be bad really. His ambiguity has reigned for so long I don't know that him giving up this info so quickly totally kills it.

But, allen, the debate has raged between fans. You read the Mugglenet/Leaky Cauldron interview after HBP. JKR answered the Snape question with, "You read the book, what do you think?" I think she felt she answered the question of his loyalty when he killed Dumbledore. Now she's said it definitively with Snape giving Voldemort information about the real date they were moving Harry.

I might be wrong, though. I've only gotten to Chapter 9 so far. But I think the answer has been given.

As for Stan...is he really under the Imperius Curse? Harry needs to be a little less trusting of people now or he's going to get himself hurt.

And yes, I too was very sad about Hedwig.

"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

xoxocutiexoxo wrote:
Actually it was Yaxley who told voldermort the right plan and i think that snape said the wrong plan so basically its snape who is our side....

I think you need to go back and read Chapter 1 again. Yaxley told Voldemort that he found out from Dawlish that the Order was planning to move Harry the night before he turns 17, in other words, the 30th. Snape tells Voldemort that his informant told him they were moving Harry four days sooner, on Saturday evening, using a host of Aurors and that he would be taken to the home of a member of the Order...Harry left on Saturday with a bunch of Aurors and went to the Weasleys' who are members of the Order...
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
KaylaK1986
0 Kudos

Hedwig's death really threw me for a loop. I just couldn't believe that Harry's ever faithful owl would meet her end that way. Then, Mad-Eye dying was tough too. I didn't really think there would be two deaths so early in the book. I didn't expect any until the last few chapters. I think I cried most for Hedwig (at least until later in the book, but I won't spoil anything!)
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:
Now we know Snape is definitely on Voldemort's side. I caught the part where Moody says he convinced the DEs that they weren't moving Harry until the 30th.

And to think in Chapter one I still thought Snape would turn to the good side. This was an awesome chapter, exciting til the very end.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Contributor
Nimabu
0 Kudos

Best Chapter I've read so far. The action came out of nowhere. Was Stan the kid from the Knight Bus? If so, I didn't know he was a Death Eater. I can't believe they killed Hedwig.
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Hagrid! Way to give me a heart attack JKR! Don't scare me like that.

Poor Hedwig :smileysad:
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Nimabu wrote:
Best Chapter I've read so far. The action came out of nowhere. Was Stan the kid from the Knight Bus? If so, I didn't know he was a Death Eater. I can't believe they killed Hedwig.

Yeah that's Stan from the Knight Bus. You never can tell who's who around here.
LOL
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
wee
New User
wee
0 Kudos

I cannot believe we've killed Hedwig. I mean, I can, but I didn't cry nearly so hard when Dumbledore died....and I cried pretty hard then. Poor Hedwig! She's such a nice owl. My boyfriend loves Hedwig...he said if he were Harry, he would have brought Hedwig to the Yule Ball. I even bought him a stuffed Hedwig to go along with the rest of our 'owls'. Poor girl. I'd rather that Hagrid had died than poor Hedwig. :smileysad:
Contributor
SingPraise
0 Kudos

Clever, of the order, but not clever enough. Could the leak have been Fleur? The French did use a lot of double agents to win WW2. Possibly....

"drools" - Ron looking @ Fleur
Contributor
SingPraise
0 Kudos

When you saw the words old man in rags did anyone else feel a glimmer of hope that Dumbledore is alive and being kept prisoner? Too bad it wa only Mr. Olivander.

"Please don't kill me" - a sane witch or wizard when Voldemort showed up
Contributor
Loverbook
0 Kudos

Hedwig had to die. The chapter begins with Harry continuing to experience that death is coming close and the loss of another character important to him is necessary. The action packed chapter came early in the book but very necessary... unfortunately it had to involve Hedwig's death.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 505 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: