New User
swedishkiss21
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 4

LiveUrLife wrote:
I was sad to see Hedwig die. I loved that owl.

Message Edited by LiveUrLife on 07-21-2007 04:01 PM

I know!!! It Was Sooo Sad! Whats Harry Gonna Do now?
tee
New User
tee
0 Kudos

Poor Harry for losing his pet. Harry is always losing someone. Poor Hedwig. Harry will really miss his owl.
Contributor
Jen525
0 Kudos

Good point about then end of innocence.
I couldn't believe the action started so fast in this chapter! Talk about hit the ground running...
I was shocked at Hedwig. I was scared for a minute that Hagrid was going to get it too. Thought that he got him there safely on the bike, but not so lucky on the moving out trip. So glad they were both OK.
I too was hoping that Hedwig and Mad Eye counted as the two major characters getting killed off. I figured, well she got that out of the way early, now i don't have to worry about Harry anymore! I am re-reading the book now cuz i went through it so fast the first time, so i know more...
I too was convinced about Snape being a bad guy after this scene. Sectum Sempra again!!

I too was shocked at Hedwig sudden death. But in some ways it might have been literary necessity so Harry didn't have to deal with a pet and a cage in this book. Also, Hedwig and the Dursley's were part of Harry's childhood. He is now severing all ties with his childhood and taking on the full responsibilities of a man. Hedwig's death (the death of a snowy white owl) is symbolically the end of all innocence.
"Imagine losing fingernails, Harry! That really puts our sufferings into perspective, doesn't it?" (Hermione, p383)
New User
Weasley_Twins_fan
0 Kudos

I thought this chapter was amazing! I never gave any thought to this particular problem, that his mother's blood protection was due to end on a specific date.
The Order's idea of the seven "Harry Potters" was brilliant! (Put all of my most loved characters at risk, too--talk about suspenseful!)

None of you have mentioned my favorite part of the chapter though. It's the dialog
in the kitchen!

"I told them you'd take it like this," said Hermione...
"If you think I'm going to let six people risk their lives--!"

"Well, none of us really fancy it Harry," said Fred earnestly. "Imagine if something went wrong and we were stuck as specky scrawny gits forever."

"You can't do it if I don't cooperate, you need me to give you some hair."

George: "Obviously there's no chance at all of us getting a bit of your hair unless you cooperate."

Yeah, thirteen of us against one bloke who's not allowed to use magic; we've got no chance," said Fred.
Contributor
Dr_Robert_R_Scarpin
0 Kudos

Frankly, in my opinion, this would have made a much better chapter for JKR to read to the throngs of "under-ten's" at the book launch. She needed a great "stunner" to set up the intense reality of what Harry is facing and just how deadly Voldemort and his followers really are. Although loveable, children can't as readily identify with it on a human level.

JKRs ability to "write" in so many voices and personalities is one of her greatest assets. The twin's dialog was truly incredible and entertaining. As was Harry's comment on the fact that others "didn't seem to worry much about showing his body all around." Very cleverly written.

The chapter also seemed to "reinforce" Harry's innate difference from Voldemort! That, I think was the real force in the chapter. His ability to care, in a very real sense, is the heart of the difference between a narcissistic tyrant and a boy "with the ability to love."

Dr. R Scarpin
Dr. Scarpin's SCARPnotes
Dr. Robert R Scarpin
Dr Scarpin's SCARPnotes
Users Online
Currently online:50 members 500 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: