Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 6

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 6 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 6, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 6

No doubt Dumbledore knew Hermione would get those books. Most interesting that Remorse is required for reconnecting your soul, I wonder how that will play out.
Contributor
jmljasmine
0 Kudos

Dumbledore definitly wanted Hermione to have the books. I was also interested in the remorse tidbit. I wonder why JK included that. Who is RAB? Still waiting to figure that out, though I have my suspicions. It seems that not only has Harry grown up but so have Harry and Hermione. What she did with her parents. Impressive.
New User
Zialan
0 Kudos

Dumbledore knew Hermione would figure out how to get her hands on those books. I think it's odd the way Ron's mum is acting. I know she doesn't want them to leave but she is making it more dangerous for them because they can't discuss their plans. If they just leave without hashing out the details, they could head right into danger because of missed information.
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

I thought that the ghoul was pretty funny.
Frequent Contributor
Tonks07
0 Kudos

i loved the ghoul hehe what an idea! But yeah i got to wonder at Mrs.W's actions, somethings up prehaps?
Contributor
mermaidgirl
0 Kudos

I was glad to see Ron and Hermione's efforts to protect their families and how they demonstrated each of their commitment to joining Harry in the search for the Horcruxes.

Mrs. Weasley's reaction is surprising. I know she just wants to protect her family, but she allowed her husband and sons (as well as Hermione) to participate in rescuing Harry from 4 Privet Drive, knowing the risks. I know the plan to find and destroy the horcruxes is much more dangerous than the rescue was supposed to be, and Mrs. W probably guesses as much. But she has always been fond of Harry, treating him like he could do no wrong, so the anger is not typical for her.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I think Molly's reaction fits well with her character here. She has always believed that the kids were too young to battle. Her priorities are clear -- their safety is paramount and everything else is secondary. She's the unambivalent protecting mother figure in the story.
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

I agree with Mrs Weasley being in Character she always worries about her kids and Harry. Now If you all would look at this chapter when Hermione is telling about modifien her parent memory page 96 and 97 and if she survives she can life the enchantment but when you get to chapter nine listen to what she says about memory charms. No I am not going to spoil and say but let me know what you think. and Then I can elborate more of my meaning and ask a few questions. Cause I am a little confused. thanks all
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Hermione and Ron are such great friends, I must say. Harry's lucky.
And Ron's sweet. He obviously loves Hermione. :smileyhappy:
Mrs. Weasley is definitely staying true to her character in this chapter; she's always been concerned about her sons and Harry. Remember when the boggart took the form of all of her sons, her husband, and Harry dead? She obviously cares a lot about them and doesn't want to risk losing them.
Hermione always gives me reason to smile in the books. She reminds me a lot of myself in that she's worrisome and conscientious, but she does daring things she knows are dangerous when she has to, and that's refreshing. I'm sure Dumbledore knew she would think about the books, because she's brilliant like that.
It is extremely interesting that the way to reassemble the soul is to feel remorse. I don't think it will happen for Voldemort. I can't see him showing any remorse whatsoever. But, who knows? It will be interesting to see how everything happens.
I'm going to have to go to sleep soon because I have to get up early for the camp I'm working at. I don't want to, though! I do this every time a Harry Potter book comes out; I always have to force myself to go to sleep, or else I would stay up all night. I'll probably read another few chapters or so first. I'll definitely do more posting tomorrow, after I've gotten home from the camp, using every snack and lunch break to read...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Get some sleep and come on back, Pen! We'll be here. :smileywink:

~ConnieK

APenForYourThoughts wrote, in part:
I'm going to have to go to sleep soon because I have to get up early for the camp I'm working at. I don't want to, though! I do this every time a Harry Potter book comes out; I always have to force myself to go to sleep, or else I would stay up all night. I'll probably read another few chapters or so first. I'll definitely do more posting tomorrow, after I've gotten home from the camp, using every snack and lunch break to read...

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

on p.102 Hermione says, "Secrets of the Darkest Art -- it's a horrible book, really awful, full of evil magic. I wonder when Dumbledore removed it from the library. . ."
now back in Rita's article in ch 2 on p.25 she said that Dumbledore had, "dabbled in the Dark Arts himself as a youth."
Now I don't really want to admit that anything Rita says is fact, but could Dumbledore have removed the books from the library before he was headmaster? maybe a long time before?

narnianmum
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:
No doubt Dumbledore knew Hermione would get those books. Most interesting that Remorse is required for reconnecting your soul, I wonder how that will play out.

That struck me as well. It made me think of Star Wars and Lord Vader finally reaching deep into himself and discovering feelings for his son and daughter that reversed his evilness and redeemed him. Voldemort has no ties and barely a fragment of a soul, but maybe he was just a lonely orphan boy whose only home was Hogwarts and he got off on the wrong track. Harry could have gone the same way as Voldemort. It would make an interesting ending. Of course, Voldemort would have to die anyway like Lord Vader. OK, maybe this theory is a real stretch! He seemed pretty evil even as a boy. But the possibility has been introduced.
tee
New User
tee
0 Kudos

I think DD knew what he was doing leaving the books to Hermoine. I think Ron creating his twin and it a ghoul is hilarious.
Contributor
Dr_Robert_R_Scarpin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
It seems to me that this chapter is the next logical step in setting up this storyline. 1st chapter introduced Voldemort and Death Eaters - (the antagonitst, the problem); 2nd- Harry and Dumbledore - (the protagonists, the mentor, the task); 3rd- Dursley's - (the old life, the threshold); 4th- friends, Order of Phoenix - (the "fellowship" of problem bearers); 5th- deaths of friends - (the "cost" of failure, importance of mission); and, now 6th- Hermione and Ron - (Harry's "companionship" of "secret bearers" )

Good writing!

Message Edited by Dr_Robert_R_Scarpin on 08-31-2007 12:20 PM
Dr. Robert R Scarpin
Dr Scarpin's SCARPnotes
Users Online
Currently online: 28 members 959 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: