Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapter 7

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 7 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 7, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 7

Children's stories and a couple of cryptic messages, but I'm feeling better about their chances just knowing Dumbledore had thought about them before he died. As for why Ron should think of Dumbledore when he uses the Deluminator or what "I open at the Close" means, I'm not sure.
Contributor
jmljasmine
0 Kudos

Mystery time. This is quite complex. I feel like I should be able to solve this with the info we have from the previous chapters and books but I just can't figure it out.
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

I think that when the time comes Harry, Ron, and Hermione are gonna figure out the purpose of the items they got from Dumbledore's will.
Contributor
teriandcb
0 Kudos

Do you think Ron has to be concentrating on Dumbledore when he uses the Deluminator for something to happen?
Frequent Contributor
joce14
0 Kudos

the book ron gave harry is hilarious but anywayz i think their is something hidden inside the snitch.
Jocelyn
Contributor
Nelle07
0 Kudos

I'm thinking all these "will" gifts that were left to the three of them will help them on their coming journey. Perhaps A.D. knew that one day he would die and someone else would have to take over the task of finding the Horcruxs. Maybe this snitch holds the "real" locket or a letter from A.D. stating what he wants the three of them to do. Who knows....SOOO exciting...Off to keep reading :smileyhappy:
Contributor
mermaidgirl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I agree that tumbled has given gifts that he feels will help the trio in their journey. I believe Gryffindor's sword is mentioned in HBP as the last surviving relic of Godric Gryffindor, so perhaps tumbled bequeathing it to Harry is to try to keep it from LV?

I wish Harry still had an adult to confide in and to learn from. Someone he could ask who Gregorovitch might be, and someone who could help him with learning to close his mind when he is sleeping. I am afraid this will cause more problems, and if LV realizes that Harry is able to see images again that he might also realize that he can take images from Harry's mind.

Message Edited by mermaidgirl on 07-22-2007 12:55 PM
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

The sword first appears in Chamber of Secrets. In an interview with J.K. Rowling she says there are many clues in there that will lead to the last book. And yes it is sad that Harry does not have a adult to confide in but Harry has more people now then he did most of his life.
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

stellaa37 wrote:
The sword first appears in Chamber of Secrets. In an interview with J.K. Rowling she says there are many clues in there that will lead to the last book. And yes it is sad that Harry does not have a adult to confide in but Harry has more people now then he did most of his life.

At this point I consider Harry an adult. He is making adult decisions. We all like to have the guidance of some wiser, probably older person, at any age but Harry has gone through his initiation period and now what happens is in his hands. Dumbledore's bequests are last minute tools or clues. I think the story has been a little more than just Harry Potter and his development but also the growth and development of Hermione, Ron, and Neville. I wonder what has happened to Neville. But maybe it is too early.
Frequent Contributor
iheartbooks
0 Kudos

i loved it when scrimgeour said: It's time you learned some respect! Then, Harry said: It's time you earned it! (:
your heart is my pinata
Frequent Contributor
key555
0 Kudos

nice present ginny lol
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

iheartbooks wrote:
i loved it when scrimgeour said: It's time you learned some respect! Then, Harry said: It's time you earned it! (:

Yeah, I loved that part!
Anyway, I kind of thought I should have been able to figure out more about the stuff Dumbledore left the trio in his will as well, but I'm kind of stupefied. I have a few theories as to what "I open at the close" means, but it could really mean any one of those or something else entirely. Knowing JKR, it's probably the latter.
Another great, classic JKR line: "'Ron, you know full well Harry and I were brought up by Muggles!' said Hermione. 'We didn't hear stories like that when we were little, we heard Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Cinderella --' 'What's that, an illness?' asked Ron." I cracked up at that.
Harry and Ginny: lovely reunion, but very sad. :smileysad:
Ron and Hermione: I just won't say anything. :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

teriandcb wrote:
Do you think Ron has to be concentrating on Dumbledore when he uses the Deluminator for something to happen?

I think that the Deluminator will play a bigger role in all of this as for the book and the snitch. I am sure that as insignificant as these items may seem they will be of major help in the kids hunt for horcruxes.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

So would it be a spoiler to say who Gregorovitch was? I knew as soon as i read it. I remembered from where he was mentioned before in a previous book and made the connection to Harry's previous 'vision'. Did anyone else figure it out?

narnianmum
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

Oh and one more thing did anyone else notice that "Tonks looked simply radiant."? I have my own theories on this one.

narnianmum
New User
Cousins
0 Kudos

The Deluminator was first used in Sorcerer's Stone in the Beginning when DD, Hangrid and Mc, were droping Harry off as a baby on Privet Drive, it said he clicked a silver object and all the lamp posts dimmed out.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Yes; it was called a "Put-Outer" then. :smileywink:

~ConnieK

Cousins wrote:
The Deluminator was first used in Sorcerer's Stone in the Beginning when DD, Hangrid and Mc, were droping Harry off as a baby on Privet Drive, it said he clicked a silver object and all the lamp posts dimmed out.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
readsalot
0 Kudos

Re: Radiant Tonks

narnianmum wrote:
Oh and one more thing did anyone else notice that "Tonks looked simply radiant."? I have my own theories on this one.

narnianmum

Is your theory like mine -- she's pregnant? That's the first thing that stuck out to me even as Lupin seemed unhappy. Why? What would a newly married man have to be unhappy about -- unless he's a werewolf and his wife is now with child??? Then it said she was radiant and that sealed it for me. I wonder what ramifications there will be for an offspring of a witch and a werewolf? Then again, I could be completely wrong here -- wonder if we'll have to wait the nine months in the book to find out if she is or not -- hmmmmm?
Contributor
Dr_Robert_R_Scarpin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
My previous post listed what I thought the main purpose of the previous 6 chapters seemed to be in JKRs "setup" of the book. This one now seems, to me, to be still in the "set-up" category: 7- birthday gifts, will - (the tools, weapons, methods of solving the problem).

Ron's chastising Harry: he seems to be getting some maturity - but displaying the same "brotherly" feelings that he had with her and Dean Thomas a few books back.
Harry's response: Doesn't seem to quick on his feet, to me. He could have stood up for himself better; but he came by his timidity honestly, from his "Dursley-whipping-boy" experiences.
Hagrid's gifts: What a great friend! More than any other character (including Molly) Hagrid has shown his true loyalty and attachment to Harry in the most heart-felt, down-to-earth, pragmatic way: Hedwig, family photo-album, and now a mokeskin bag - all one of a kind, hand-made and reflect true empathy for Harry's situations.
Will items As if we didn't already have enough on our plates, we now have a additinal mystery to occupy our minds. I think we can rest assured that JKR didn't put them here (way in the front) without a reason - and that they will have some sort of impact on the plot in later chapters. JKR has said that Harry just "walked into my mind fully formed" and that she always wrote with "yellow stickies" reminding her of things that she "must" put in each book. To have nearly the first magical object that we were introduced to in book one, now play a role in book 7, seems a real literary gem.

Message Edited by Dr_Robert_R_Scarpin on 09-01-2007 12:48 PM

Message Edited by Dr_Robert_R_Scarpin on 09-01-2007 12:54 PM
Dr. Robert R Scarpin
Dr Scarpin's SCARPnotes
Users Online
Currently online:38 members 480 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: