Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 15

A very interesting chapter. I wonder where Dumbledore hid the real sword? Someone earlier said it might be in Godric's Hollow; that's a definite possibility.
How could Ron leave????? I know he's been acting strangely, but I really did not think he'd leave Harry and Hermione. Is he back at the Burrow? I would think that's where he would go, but maybe he went somewhere else. I think the Horcrux definitely brings out the worst in a person, because it's apparent that Ron is the image of his most negative aspects at the moment.
And poor Hermione. She's too good a person to deserve having to cry over her beloved at night. I feel bad for her. I feel bad for all of them, actually. They're all completely tormented, mentally and emotionally. :smileysad:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 14

Things are dragging on in Chapter 14
I know Ron is a little hot headed but I am wondering why J.K. had ron leave?
Poor Hermione.
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
joce14
0 Kudos

i feel so sorry for hermione since ron left cuz they both love each other
Jocelyn
Contributor
WIJen
0 Kudos

what do you mean..."Ron Left"? At the end of the chapter he was snoring in the bottom bunk.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

283 pages in and there have really only been more questions. The only answer is one that was figured out fairly quickly after Half Blood Prince. RAB is Regulus Black and the Locket from Order of the Phoenix is the locket horcrux. It was an informative chapter about Kreacher and RAB earlier, but I for one expected more answers by this point, not that I'm not enjoying it immensly thus far, but I have even more questions now than when I started. Mainly now, what is Voldemort after right now if not information on the wands? Speaking of the wands, how did Harry's do what it did? More questions, few answers. I have faith in Ms. Rowling though.
Contributor
teriandcb
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:
283 pages in and there have really only been more questions. The only answer is one that was figured out fairly quickly after Half Blood Prince. RAB is Regulus Black and the Locket from Order of the Phoenix is the locket horcrux. It was an informative chapter about Kreacher and RAB earlier, but I for one expected more answers by this point, not that I'm not enjoying it immensly thus far, but I have even more questions now than when I started. Mainly now, what is Voldemort after right now if not information on the wands? Speaking of the wands, how did Harry's do what it did? More questions, few answers. I have faith in Ms. Rowling though.

Do you think the blonde-haired thief is the same blonde-haired teen in the picture with Dumbledore in Umbridge's office? They both were described as having a wild look. Who do you think that is? Also, interesting that he was described as leaving like a bird----any connection to Dumbledore and his bond with Fawkes?
New User
luke8ball
0 Kudos

For some reason, i have suspiscion about the wand situation in chapter 1 with the malofys, and this situation. They say "blonde hair" and "familiar". In chapter one, there is in odd situation about the wand with lucius m. , just a guess...
New User
max2062
0 Kudos

teriandcb wrote:

quidditchpro wrote:

Do you think the blonde-haired thief is the same blonde-haired teen in the picture with Dumbledore in Umbridge's office? They both were described as having a wild look. Who do you think that is? Also, interesting that he was described as leaving like a bird----any connection to Dumbledore and his bond with Fawkes?

I wonder if the blonde youth is the younger brother of Dumbledore?
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:

Some ends are being tied up early on, but this is a big book and each book is a standalone story of its own. She has to introduce new characters and situations to make it a story, otherwise it is just a final chapter of the series. That is my main reason for wanting to take the book chapter by chapter. More questions are coming up, more clues (but not yet the answers), more twists to the plot, etc. It isn't over yet. In fact, I almost wish they could have printed the last few chapters in invisible ink that would become visible a month from now. That would have stimulated more discussion about the early chapters. Instead most people are rushing to the end and missing the development of this book as it stands. I have a great deal of confidence that she will bring it all together in the end--at least what was important. This series was very well planned right from book one.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

I think Ron is right without even knowing it, the whole thing about not saying Voldy's name. Maybe saying it would be like summoning him. That's what happened at the cafe.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Did I miss something? I thought Ron was still with Harry and Hermione.
I agree that there are more questions now than answers. My first thought about the blond-haired thief was that it was a Malfoy, but wouldn't Harry have probably recognized that it was one of the Malfoys? It could still be, but who knows? It could also be Dumbledore's brother; I hadn't thought of that one.
Great scene when Ron is worrying about the man and his wife in the Ministry, and Hermione "looks at him with such tenderness." Lovely. :smileyhappy:
Talk to you all after Chapter 15!
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

stellaa37 wrote:
Things are dragging on in Chapter 14
I know Ron is a little hot headed but I am wondering why J.K. had ron leave?
Poor Hermione.

I think it was fo the Godric's Hollow trip and for the use of the deluminator, as well as for the great comeback. way to go Ron!
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Contributor
Jen525
0 Kudos

If wearing the Horcrux brings out the worst in you, do you think Umbridge wearing it all the time made her even more evil? Think there was any change in her after Hermione switched it with a fake?

I though any "true Gryffindor" could summon Gryffindor's sword. Or can it only come out of the sorting hat as it did to Harry in book 2?

dcsbelle wrote:
I think it brings out all your self-doubts and feelings of inferiority to paralyze you and take you under its control.

crazyauntsal wrote:

I think that wearing the horcrux brings out the worst in your personality, in Ron's case this would be his jealousy and feelings of inferiority. He'll come to his senses and save the day! (I hope)

"Imagine losing fingernails, Harry! That really puts our sufferings into perspective, doesn't it?" (Hermione, p383)
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I would think that the summoning of the sword is possible only in cases of extreme emergency.

Jen525 wrote:
I though any "true Gryffindor" could summon Gryffindor's sword. Or can it only come out of the sorting hat as it did to Harry in book 2
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
I would think that the summoning of the sword is possible only in cases of extreme emergency.

Jen525 wrote:
I though any "true Gryffindor" could summon Gryffindor's sword. Or can it only come out of the sorting hat as it did to Harry in book 2

I think the conditions are that it has to be a Gryffindor in "Need" of the sword who has demonstrated "Valor".
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 416 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: