Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss Chapters 14 and 15

[ Edited ]
This thread combines discussion of Chapters 14 and 15 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 15, this thread may contain plot spoilers.

Message Edited by Bill_T on 07-26-2007 10:06 AM
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss Chapter 15

HAHA those goblins are so smart, tricking the Snape the headmaster and even the Malfoys with their fake Godric Gryffindor sword. I still don't understand how they could have been so easily fooled but its cool that the goblins in gringotts didn't tell them the sword they possessed was a fake
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

What's going on with Ron. Sure it's tough, but after all that they've been through, I would think that Ron would have a little more faith in Harry, especially with the lucky breakthrough they just had overhearing the Goblins et al. I think there might be more to the falling out between Ron and Harry, but I can't for the life of me think what yet.
New User
crazyauntsal
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:
What's going on with Ron. Sure it's tough, but after all that they've been through, I would think that Ron would have a little more faith in Harry, especially with the lucky breakthrough they just had overhearing the Goblins et al. I think there might be more to the falling out between Ron and Harry, but I can't for the life of me think what yet.

I think that wearing the horcrux brings out the worst in your personality, in Ron's case this would be his jealousy and feelings of inferiority. He'll come to his senses and save the day! (I hope)
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I think it brings out all your self-doubts and feelings of inferiority to paralyze you and take you under its control.

crazyauntsal wrote:

I think that wearing the horcrux brings out the worst in your personality, in Ron's case this would be his jealousy and feelings of inferiority. He'll come to his senses and save the day! (I hope)

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

I wondered about the idea of actually wearing it next to your skin...although Hermoine had said that it isn't the physical proximity of a horcrux that is dangerous, it is being emotionally invested in it. I would think they wouldn't want a bit of LVs soul so close to their hearts anyway. I thought Harry might put it in the mokeskin bag Hagrid gave him for his birthday, so on one could get at it but him.

dcsbelle wrote:
I think it brings out all your self-doubts and feelings of inferiority to paralyze you and take you under its control.

crazyauntsal wrote:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

I agree, MsJinx--I thought wearing the locket/horcrux near your heart was just asking for trouble!

~ConnieK

MsJinx wrote:
I wondered about the idea of actually wearing it next to your skin...although Hermoine had said that it isn't the physical proximity of a horcrux that is dangerous, it is being emotionally invested in it. I would think they wouldn't want a bit of LVs soul so close to their hearts anyway. I thought Harry might put it in the mokeskin bag Hagrid gave him for his birthday, so on one could get at it but him

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

crazyauntsal wrote:

quidditchpro wrote:

I also though Ron's reaction was a bit unusual. It isn't out of character--he has behaved this way before but I thought at this point he had outgrown it, especially considering they are on a very important and dangerous mission. It could only be the effect of the horcrux. This friendship has been test quite a bit in six years. But this quest for the horcruxes is taking many months, so a lot of inactivity has got to be trying.
Contributor
JaYzRICH
0 Kudos

MsJinx wrote:
I wondered about the idea of actually wearing it next to your skin...although Hermoine had said that it isn't the physical proximity of a horcrux that is dangerous, it is being emotionally invested in it. I would think they wouldn't want a bit of LVs soul so close to their hearts anyway. I thought Harry might put it in the mokeskin bag Hagrid gave him for his birthday, so on one could get at it but him.

dcsbelle wrote:

crazyauntsal wrote:

I agree, Ron had never acted that way towards Harry before,I've also noticed Harry is becoming so agressive in the way he speaks sometimes. I dont know just my opinion, but hopefully Ron saves the day like im sure all of us would like to see him do as he did in the 1st year playing the wizards chess brilliantly.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I never believed it possible that Ron would die. But after he left Harry and Hermione, I'm worried that he will come to his senses later, set out to find them again, and end up dying to protect Harry. I don't want anything to happen to him!

I do have to say, though, that I loved the idea of Ginny, Neville, and Luna breaking into Snape's office to steal the sword. That sounds like the kind of insane thing they would try to do. Too bad they got caught. And too bad that Snape reinstated the rule that outlaws Dumbledore's Army, although I'm guessing that hasn't really stopped them.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
momoflpa
0 Kudos

i must agree with all of you so far.... i love ginny even mom now! i still can get over when she kissed harry at the burrow. i personally think that he hid the sword in Godrics Hollow, he lived ther and so did dumbledore grew up so i think he would leave it there maybe somwhere close to his parents grave. and ron... well i think something besides the horcrux has got him messed up do you think this will be the 2nd death JKR said would take place??
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

I didn't think that Ron would really leave. I think he been acting kinda funny ever since they got to the burrow in chapter 3 I think. Something's not right with him.
New User
Pvega87
0 Kudos

I agree with you. Ginny, Neville, and Luna were pretty clever in trying to steal the sword of gryffindor... And it is unfortunate that they got caught, and also that it was the fake... But only because dumbledore copied the original for Hp!! And Dumbledore's Army will NeVer Be Stoped!!
Xoxo
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

What is up with Ron! Maybe he had been wearing that necklace to long. I still don't believe he left.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

momoflpa wrote:
i must agree with all of you so far.... i love ginny even mom now! i still can get over when she kissed harry at the burrow. i personally think that he hid the sword in Godrics Hollow, he lived ther and so did dumbledore grew up so i think he would leave it there maybe somwhere close to his parents grave. and ron... well i think something besides the horcrux has got him messed up do you think this will be the 2nd death JKR said would take place??

How about the snitch? I am sure there is somethng inportant there, it the sword could fit in the sorting hat why not the snitch...
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
joce14
0 Kudos

the goblins might be a pain but they helped out harry
Jocelyn
Contributor
WIJen
0 Kudos

I am very disappointed in Ron for giving up. And I'm a little angry at Harry for talking so harshly to him. I needs to put himself in their shoes for a minute and realize what they've given up to help him in this seemingly mindless journey. It's disheartening to go out in the world so young with such a heavy burden and not have any idea where to start or what to do next. They should all show a little more compassion to each other. They should try and get a message to someone though and find out what's going on with everyone else, someone not so readily a target for them, like Luna's dad or Fluer's parents or something. Probably not the best idea, but at least it would help them to know that people are okay right now.

I don't know, i'm rambling because I'm upset about the Ron thing, I hope that nothing happens to him, although, I imagine when the Ministry finds out he's home, they will be there right away interrogating him about Harry's whereabouts. I just hope at that point, when he's fed and home he'll remember where his loyalties lay!
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

What kind of punishment is being sent into the forest with Hagrid?!?! Snape could have very easily had them Crucioed or at the very least handed them over to Filch for punishment. I'd say this is a big plus for the good Snape camp.
and speaking of Hagrid how is he still at Hogwarts? A half-breed and a member of the order, I would have thought he would have been out as soon as Voldy came to power. Come to think of it maybe Filch is not even there this year, since he's a squib. I feel so in the dark about what's going on at Hogwarts. This was a small glimpse but I really hope we actually get to see the school now.

narnianmum
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

dayrenm wrote:

momoflpa wrote:

How about the snitch? I am sure there is somethng inportant there, it the sword could fit in the sorting hat why not the snitch...

I was wondering about the snitch also. On page 305, when Harry and Hermoine are discussing the fake sword JKR says "the gazed at each other; Harry felt that the answer was dangling invisibly in the air above them, tantalizingly close" that description made me automatically think of the snitch. i think there is a clue in the snitch that DD left to Harry.

As for Ron, this part was heartwrenching, to see the friends fight in a way that seems so permanent it was described as "corrosive hatred toward Ron: Something had broken between them" is this the Horcrux and Harry's connection to V. or has there relationship really changed. As angry as I am at Ron, I think that he had given up more than any of the others. His entire family is at risk and he has no way of knowing what is going on. I can see his growing resentment toward Harry, not that Harry is to be blamed, but it has to be harder for him. I just hope he comes around. I hope that he doesn't stay away forever, and I hope that he doesn't put Harry and Hermione in more danger but giving up there secret mission--or maybe it will be good if he does tell someone what they are up to. I just hope he keeps his loyalty even though he is so angry right now.
Contributor
Lady_shay
0 Kudos

The circumstances has never been as trying as this either ron doesn't know whats happening to his family and they aren't any closer to finding another Horcrux or destroying one either.
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 631 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: