Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Stacey_C
0 Kudos

Re: Epilogue

I have to reread the books, but i was expecting it to be more of a summery, but i think i'm missing something from it. (the things you miss when youre reading on 2 hrs of sleep hehe). But i think the bing stuff in the epilogue are the fact that they are driving muggle cars, i think this shows their intergration into the muggle world, and i think the other big thing has to do with the fact that James is teasing his younger brother Albus about being in slyerin house and then Harry telling him its his choice, i know this goes back to the idea of choices and stuff, but i feel there's more i'm missing.

Also, i really hope James' middle name is sirius.
but theres so much about this book i think i missed because i was reading on such little sleep because i just wanted to know what happend. i hope a second read will answer more of the questions i have (but sadly, i'm sure it wont asnwer most of them that are listed in the other threats)
Contributor
JaYzRICH
0 Kudos

This book was so great Just finished it ( didnt sleep at all lol) i'm also sad that the Harry Potter saga has ended but with a great ending and genoius scenes. Thank you J.K for the best story i've read in my life.
Contributor
sense93
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Epilogue

I agree. I also hope she continues to write about Hogwarts and its characters. There are so many answers that are left unanswered. JKR also has a bunch of possibilities if she writes another book- she can write about their adventures after Voldemort's death, their adult lives, or their children's lives at Hogwarts (I don't think that would be as interesting though). I heard she's writing an encyclopedia on Harry Potter, but I'd rather she wrote another book in the series or a new series.
New User
MiZZMISSY
0 Kudos

THERE ARE A FEW THINGS THAT WERE LEFT UNSAID LIKE WHAT HAPPENED AFTER EVERYTHING WAS SAID AND DONE. EXACTLY WHO DID MALFOY MARRY AND WHO VICTORIA WAS WHICH I THINK IT WAS RON AND HERMOINES DAUGHTER OR HARRY AND GINNY.
New User
MiZZMISSY
0 Kudos

THIS IS OFF TOPIC BUT WEREN'T THERE SUPPOSED TO BE 789 PAGES I MEAN THAT'S WHAT WAS PUBLICIZED BUT I TURNED OUT TO BE ONLY 759 PAGES AND DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM GOT THE SWORD BACK WHEN GRIPHOOK TOOK IT FROM GRINGOTT?
New User
broncos09
0 Kudos

neville got the sword out of the hat, bc only a true griffyndor could obtain the sword. it didn't matter that griphook took it back. it didn't belong to him. as bill said, all goblins thought that anything goblin-made belonged to them. the sword belonged to griffyndor. i bet it sits in neville's office.

also, then ending was fitting. i have read many series before and all of their endings were the same format. a scene in the future and not all the characters talked about. that leaves more to your imagination. yes, it does leave room if she wants to write on a different angle. but i'm not sure if she will.
New User
broncos09
0 Kudos

also, as mentioned earlier, i don't think victore was harry's or ron's daughter. she was probably either bill's or percy's. she was, i assume, around 18 years old and i doubt harry or ron would have gotten married so quickly. and like i said before, its more fun using your imagination than having every little thing told to you.
Contributor
kimmiller1017
0 Kudos

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed the epilogue did not say what Harry's profession was and I would have at least liked to know who the the new headmaster was! Just like they mentioned Neville was a professor I don't see why that couldn't have been mentioned. I mean this is the last one. It was pretty obvious Victorie was Bill and Fleur's daughter. It was nice to mention Draco in the epilogue, but I personally didn't care who he married or what happended to the Dursleys( although I thought that Aunt Petunia would have shown a little bit more compassion during her and Harry's farewell). Overall, I was pretty satified with the book, although there was some questions that were never answered.
Contributor
kimmiller1017
0 Kudos

J.K Rowling has made it pretty clear that this is it. However, I kind of wish she would do a spin-off kind of like, Chronicles of Narnia maybe have a Chronicles of Hogwarts.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

The Epilogue helped those folks (in JKR's mind) who wanted to know what would happen to their beloved characters. It tried to satisfy that need; but I am not sure that it achieved that successfully after reading the other comments.

Personally, I am not sure that the epilogue was necessary. When you read great books, you are for the most part not given a crystal ball into the fictional future lives of the characters. But I think JKR tried to wrap it up.

If she decides in the future to open up the story or a new one based upon the original series, it looks to me like she can do that easily.

I was ok with the epilogue; but it was certainly not my favorite section of the book. To me it seemed a little anticlimatic more of an afterthought. But the book itself was a wonderful read and well worth the wait. I devoured it from cover to cover

Regards,

Bentley
Contributor
kimmiller1017
0 Kudos

It said in the book Neville was the Herbology professor
New User
librarybookgrl
0 Kudos

I was also disappointed that we never got some details, like careers. For example, James and Lily. I found in an iterview transcript on Scholastic's Web Site (in 2000, before she finished GOF) this answer for the question of James and Lily's professions: "I'm sorry to keep saying this, but I can't tell you because it's important to a later plot. But you will find out later!" No, we didn't find out. Maybe she had a reason for never getting around to including that.
Contributor
kimmiller1017
0 Kudos

I personally don't think there was anything special about the names Hugo and Rose except for the fact one begins with "r" for Ron and "h" for Hermoine I didn't take anything else from it besides that.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kimmiller1017 wrote:
I personally don't think there was anything special about the names Hugo and Rose except for the fact one begins with "r" for Ron and "h" for Hermoine I didn't take anything else from it besides that.

I tend to agree...and Rose was a name of one of JKRs relative. Where Hugo came from is another thing..I was thinking that one of Hermione's admirers was named Victor and maybe JKR just associated Victor with Hugo (Victor Hugo being a famous writer) and H being so fond of books, etc.

I don't think there was any other deep association.

By the way, hope everyone enjoyed the book as much as I did. At first, I thought that I would go chapter by chapter and comment as I went along...but that proved too difficult..the book was too engrossing and I wanted to get to the end to find out what happened. JKR really has taken everyone on a splendid journey.

Regards,

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 07-24-2007 10:59 AM
New User
waddachutz
0 Kudos

I got chills when I read that part! I thought it was unbelievably cool how Snape was honored like that in the end. My favorite part was when Harry is talking to Albus about not worrying if he became a Slytherin because he had been named after two headmasters and that one had been in Slytherin and was one of the bravest men he had ever known. I hated how Snape died (although I understand it was necessary for the memories) but this totally made up for it (as well as having Harry be the one to tell Voldemort "Snape was Dumbledore's"). Loved it!!!!
New User
kissedbyluck
0 Kudos

I have to say a few things:
I always knew Snape was "good" even if he did some pretty bad things...which makes me happy. I was, and still am, a Snape fan.
I liked the conversation between Harry and Dumbledore...they got some closure.
I was surprised that a "main" character wasn't really killed...I always considered Harry, Hermione, and Ron the "main" characters, but maybe I was wrong.
I am glad they lived...
Most of the epilogue sounded just like some of the fan's ideas...think she was listening? =)
New User
orangejynx
0 Kudos

Victorie is Bill and Fleurs daughter thats why they say she could be a cousin.
OK I didnt really like the epilogue. The fact that everybody marries was a little to saccharine for me. But that being said if youre gonna do it why not go the full nine and have Neville marry Luna. And I know he had a real knack for Herbology but considering what an ass kicker her turned into from OOTP to DH did anybody else think it would be better if Neville when on to be the DADA teacher? Just nitpicking, by far my favorite book of the series.
New User
HermioneWeasley07
0 Kudos

Victoire is Bill and Fleur's daughter.
Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

i think the ending has applied to everyones interest and was what everyone wanted to happen. im glad it ended that way but that ending just makes like any other fairy tell ending, kinda like a disney movie...
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
New User
lahargues
0 Kudos

I was surprised but completely agreed when Harry said Snape was the bravest wizard he ever knew.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 617 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: