Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
Carol67
0 Kudos

Re: JK's answers

QUOTE: [Why does an author have to give us all of the answers in the end. Somethings have to be left up to the readers imaginations.]

I completely agree that it isn't necessary to give every piece of information, nor is it possible. Jo said in her interview on the TODAY show that some fans obsession wouldn't be satisfied until they knew the middle of names of Harry's great grandparents.

You'll find more often than not that great books, those that remain classic mainstays, often leave the reader with a touch of the 'what if' or 'wonder what'. Giving excessive details often destroys the allure or magic of the novel. We may want more; but having something isn't always as pleasing as wanting something. It doesn't make sense; but it's often true.

I'm perfectly content with how the Harry Potter series ended. I will admit I did wonder what the occupations were, but that was about it. Ms. Rowling says she is finished with these characters aside from possibly writing an encyclopedia and I think that's an excellent decision.
Contributor
HarryPotter115
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Epilogue

I hope rowling Does a series on Harrys Kids. Maybe voldemort could rise from the dead, and harrys kids have to stop him,
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

What if Lily's middle name was Narcissa, Narcissa DID save his life afterall. But the theme seems to be dead people. So I think Lily's middle name is... Nymphandora or Dora. Or maybe it is Minerva? Definitely not Pansy or Petunia or Bellatrix. Or maybe she doesn't have a middle name? Also, in the meet the author section, it says that JKR won a Hugo Award, I think this is where Ron's son's name comes from. And Rose may be short for Rosmerta, the barlady which Ron adored in his younger years.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Contributor
Phebemarie
0 Kudos

The Epilogue was a nice addition for those who just had to know how things settled, but I would have been just as satisfied without it.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Well, I'm glad to see that everyone ends up happy, I guess. Still kind of disappointed that JKR succumbed to the happily ever after thing, but I'll get over it.
When they first introduced Harry's kids, I was kind of mad that none were named Severus, but then I realized that Snape never cared about Harry at all; just his mother. I was happy Severus was Albus' middle name, though. That made me happy, especially because Albus was the only one who got Lily's eyes, which Snape had loved so much. Why Rose and Hugo for the names of Ron and Hermione's kids, though? I thought one of them should have been named Harry.
I can't believe it's over!!! I've basically grown up with Harry; I read the first book when I was in third grade, and now it's almost eight years later and it's all done with!! It's kind of sad, but I don't think Harry Potter will ever be forgotten. We'll continue to enjoy them throughout the rest of our lives, and our descendants will enjoy them just as much as we have. :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
K8
New User
K8
0 Kudos

I agree that it was great Snape received some honor at the end - by naming his child, saying Snape was the bravest man and Harry telling all crowd during the last duel that Snape was always DD & never LV's - b/c in other ways he didn't get any direct justice or finality at the end of his life. There were no admissions to his face that Harry's father was a bit of an arse to him & no apologies from those who thought he was evil. I just wish Harry and Snape had been able to have more exchange than looking at each other when he was dying (b/c Harry didn't know the full story then) - I wish Snape's portrait had come out at the end when all the old headmasters were congratulating Harry so they could talk.

Snape was one of the best characters, the ultimate anti-hero, and I agree with other's comments that the "eyes of Lily" were an important theme lightly touched on throughout the book, because it came together at the end & to me it represented Snapes love for Lily and why he repented from his evil ways. The power of love.

And although some said that Snape had no compassion for Harry, just his love for Lily which is why he said "Look at me", I do agree he wanted to see Harry's eyes & think of Lily. But remember when Harry takes Snapes memories and looks into the penseive. I thought there was an exchange b/w Snape & DD where Snape gets very protective of Harrys life and DD says something like Don't tell me you have grown to care for the boy and Snape says Always. I think he did care for him, just resented the part that reminded him of his father and struggled in himself to overcome this.
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

Oh wow I love your Idea about Snape coming out of the portrait. That would ROCK! Nothing too sentimental but some kind of understanding between them two. Now I am even more upset with the ending of the book. Thanks for the share
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

Which website?
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
New User
kutiepiekng21
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:
Just curious, who else loves that Harry named his second son Albus Severus?

I do! I thought it was very fitting.
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

K8 wrote:
I agree that it was great Snape received some honor at the end - by naming his child, saying Snape was the bravest man and Harry telling all crowd during the last duel that Snape was always DD & never LV's - b/c in other ways he didn't get any direct justice or finality at the end of his life. There were no admissions to his face that Harry's father was a bit of an arse to him & no apologies from those who thought he was evil. I just wish Harry and Snape had been able to have more exchange than looking at each other when he was dying (b/c Harry didn't know the full story then) - I wish Snape's portrait had come out at the end when all the old headmasters were congratulating Harry so they could talk.

Snape was one of the best characters, the ultimate anti-hero, and I agree with other's comments that the "eyes of Lily" were an important theme lightly touched on throughout the book, because it came together at the end & to me it represented Snapes love for Lily and why he repented from his evil ways. The power of love.

And although some said that Snape had no compassion for Harry, just his love for Lily which is why he said "Look at me", I do agree he wanted to see Harry's eyes & think of Lily. But remember when Harry takes Snapes memories and looks into the penseive. I thought there was an exchange b/w Snape & DD where Snape gets very protective of Harrys life and DD says something like Don't tell me you have grown to care for the boy and Snape says Always. I think he did care for him, just resented the part that reminded him of his father and struggled in himself to overcome this.

I too would have loved to see a conversation between Harry and Snape (the portrait). I can see Harry thanking Snape for his dedication to Lily after all the years, and telling Snape he thought he was very brave and not a coward. I am not sure what Snape would say to Harry. I wonder if (later in life) Harry would introduce Albus Severus to Snape (portrait)?
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
New User
sbugarin
0 Kudos

I thought that it was kind of her to give us 19 years in the future for Harry, it actually was what I expected. I too figured out that Teddy must be kissing Bill's daughter. I knew Harry would be a father and marry Ginny and also be a good godfather to Teddy. I also wondered about the careers, but it didn't matter. I also think the middle name for James is that of Harry's godfather. It left me with peace.
K8
New User
K8
0 Kudos

I thought it was a pretty good ending to see part into the future and some of the outcomes for the main characters. Would have been too much to do everyone. I believe JKR has said in the encylopedia she does of Harry Potter world, she will include more about where people ended up.

I also just wondered, what made her include Percy in the end scene. He was not featured alot through the book and wasn't really that appealing. Then he comes in at the end and helps them fight. So why put him in the last scene? Why not feature George at the end with a child called Fred or put Luna & Dean Thomas in? There was sort of a pattern with HP & RW having kids etc so Percy just seemed an odd choice to me.

You know at the end, I was reading more slowly & more slowly, trying to delay it. I kept thinking when this is read, its all over. Funny how you just got used to looking forward to the next book or next film each year.
K8
New User
K8
0 Kudos

I think he would definately have shown Albus Severus both his namesakes. The whole wizarding community would still have known those names.
Contributor
yoyoally2
0 Kudos

i loved how he named all of his kids after the people that he loved in his life, like James and Lily, and especially Albus and Serverus. That one was my favorite, but I really didn't like the names of Ron and Hermione's kids. The name Rose was cute, but Hugo wasn't all that great.
Contributor
lhendrie
0 Kudos

HarryPotter115 wrote:
I hope rowling Does a series on Harrys Kids. Maybe voldemort could rise from the dead, and harrys kids have to stop him,

Once you defeat a Dark Wizard there is always another looking to jump in and take the defeated ones place. Some one who believes he/she can do it better or that their cause is more important than the rest of the world. A whole new wizard with a whole new set of issues to overcome for James, Albus and Lily to fight together perhaps; with Daddy and Ginny as the Dumbeldor figure.
New User
JSWebster
0 Kudos

IMHO the Epilogue was unnecessary. I rather resented it. I would have preferred that Rowling leave the post-Voldemort years to our imagination, for the rest of us to fill in the blanks, rather than serving us treacle-drizzled pap with cute kid names at the end. By skipping 19 years, she effectively destroyed any possiblity of anything interesting happening in the Wizarding World during that time. Boring. I realize Harry Potter is her creation, and she can do anything she bloody well wants to do with it, but in a sense Potter is beyond her now. I say, rip out the Epilogue and write your own!
Frequent Contributor
iheartbooks
0 Kudos

i just finished and i couldnt have loved the ending more!!! but umm hugo?? lmfaooo. loved the rest of the names and the couples.. :smileyhappy:)
your heart is my pinata
Contributor
carrotstick321
0 Kudos

I thought about that too. It turns out that is Fler's and Bill's eldest daughter.
Contributor
LibbyLane
0 Kudos

jbm1022 wrote:
I think Draco and Harry definitely acknowledge that the each had a hand in the others survival.

I don't think Draco had anything to do with Harry's survival. When Narcissa is so determined to get back to her son, Harry is able to tell her what she wants to hear--that Draco is alive and in the castle--ONLY because of his compassion in saving Draco's life at the risk of his own (twice). It's an example of one of the main themes throughout the series... acting in love is ALWAYS worth it.
Contributor
LibbyLane
0 Kudos

HarryPotter115 wrote:

Rowling has said if she does another series she would need to create another "supervillain." What if she doesn't, and keeps it a kids' series?

I review books weekly on my radio show, and one of the things I keep pushing is that this ISN'T a series for kids. I tell parents that if they've got young kids reading it, they really should be reading it too, at least to know what their kids are reading and be able to talk to them about it. These books are dark, nobody is blind to that.

So what if JKR DOESN'T make a supervillain, and keeps a new series more like the first 3 Harry books? It would be nice to have a whole series that kids could dig into.
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 455 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: