Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Epilogue

Just curious--Were any of you expecting the Epilogue to be more of a summary of each character's future, more of a listing kind of thing rather than a scene from the future? I'm wondering, since it was a scene instead of exposition, per se, we didn't get answers to some of the questions fans expected to get. There were many ways JKR could have written the Epilogue (as a direct note to the reader from the author; as a character from the future telling information; etc.), so I'm curious about why she chose to write a scene from the future that, by its nature, requires leaving so many more questions unanswered. Do any of you have any thoughts on this? Is she saving the more straight forward information for her later reference book for charity, possibly?

I have some more thoughts on this, but I'd like to hear some of yours before I post them.

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
dgslate
0 Kudos

Nah...I don't think so. I think if Draco had married Pansy; Jo would have said so. That one would have been a gimme. Maybe with his newfound respect for the "cleaner" side of life he went out and found himself a good girl. Maybe a Hufflepuff?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
Just curious--Were any of you expecting the Epilogue to be more of a summary of each character's future, more of a listing kind of thing rather than a scene from the future? I'm wondering, since it was a scene instead of exposition, per se, we didn't get answers to some of the questions fans expected to get. There were many ways JKR could have written the Epilogue (as a direct note to the reader from the author; as a character from the future telling information; etc.), so I'm curious about why she chose to write a scene from the future that, by its nature, requires leaving so many more questions unanswered. Do any of you have any thoughts on this? Is she saving the more straight forward information for her later reference book for charity, possibly?

I have some more thoughts on this, but I'd like to hear some of yours before I post them.

~ConnieK

I think she wrote it this way to be consistent with the style of writing she had used throughout the books.

I expected the kind of thing that you see at the end of a movie sometimes when they list each of the characters' futures, but that would have been a major alteration in her tone.

She says that she has no intention of writing anything else in this story but has definitely left herself a whole new set of characters in which to start stories all over again should she wish to...

I think she could give us that whole listing in some other way... she has lots of options, including online publication right on her own webstie.
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

Re: Victoire

I did not like all of the Epilogue she put nineteen years into 7 pages. like most of you I want to know what happen to all the characters she put into our hearts what's happening to them. Who is Hogwarts new headmaster? What kind of jobs do Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Harry Have? A fellow Harry Potter friend gave a great suggestion about how the book should've ended with Ginny telling her Great grandchildren all of the last seven books and what happen to every person that was mentioned in her story. Now wouldn't that been a nice ending. Not " His scar has not hurt in ninteen years, all is well." UGH I expected more than that out of J.K. Rowling her mind is too brilliant for that. but that's just one persons opinion. I hope I don't sound bad I think I am just broken hearted.
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
Contributor
areh500
0 Kudos

I somewhat wish they had discussed hermoine's parents i would like to know how the explaining went and did anyone notice harry used a lot of unfergivable curses in this book.

areh500
rochester, mn
Contributor
casstrot
0 Kudos

areh500 wrote:
I somewhat wish they had discussed hermoine's parents i would like to know how the explaining went and did anyone notice harry used a lot of unfergivable curses in this book.

areh500
rochester, mn

I had forgotten about Hermione's parents, but I assume she went back and lifted the charm.
I liked that Harry used the unforgivable curses. I think Lupin said it right in the beginning when he told Harry the time for disarming was over. He wasn't the only good guy using the unforgivable curses, and I did not think he used them unnecessarily.
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieK

I think she wrote it this way to be consistent with the style of writing she had used throughout the books.

I expected the kind of thing that you see at the end of a movie sometimes when they list each of the characters' futures, but that would have been a major alteration in her tone.

She says that she has no intention of writing anything else in this story but has definitely left herself a whole new set of characters in which to start stories all over again should she wish to...

I think she could give us that whole listing in some other way... she has lots of options, including online publication right on her own webstie.

I really really hope she gives us those listings Psychee as it's killing my curious nature to not know what these guys are up to really.
New User
missheathyr
0 Kudos

Epilogue

I just loved the book. A perfect end to the story at hand. The epilogue was just an added treat. I thought it was wonderful. I too would have loved to know every detail of every characters life after the battle, it's so hard to let go. However, I thought the ending was fitting. Bravo!
Contributor
Draco_Malfoy_Fan21
0 Kudos

Re: Epilogue

missheathyr wrote:
I just loved the book. A perfect end to the story at hand. The epilogue was just an added treat. I thought it was wonderful. I too would have loved to know every detail of every characters life after the battle, it's so hard to let go. However, I thought the ending was fitting. Bravo!

I loved it too except a lot of the facts were left out. I heard she was thinking of writing a book about harry's life after Hogwarts but now i'm not so sure. Maybe she just squeezed it all into that onle little epilogue.
xxxFilthy little Mudblood!xxx
New User
maxthebook_worm
0 Kudos

Re: Epilogue

I love the book. i agree with everyone the very ending was a little disappointing, there was not a lot of info. but the book all together was great!!!!!!!! I think of all the Harry Potter books i cried the most when reading this one. I was so sad when Lupin and Tonks died, and when Harry was talking to his parents, Sirius, and Lupin. when thinking of it it all still makes me tear up. I love that in the end Snape was one of the good guys, and that Harry named one of his sons after him. I do wish that there was more of info on each person + the original epilogue. But it was great how Harry ended up with Ginny and Ron with Hermione (though we all that they would be together). Ohhhh and about Luna, I think she ended up with Dean
New User
maxthebook_worm
0 Kudos

I think Luna ended up with Dean, they became close when they were together at Bill and Fleur's house and after that. and she went with him when they went to go plan for the battle in the great hall.
New User
mngaby
0 Kudos

I am bummed that we dont know what George is doing. In all the epilogue kind of annoyed me because it was confusingly put together but I am glad harry and ginny are together and ron and hermoine are together. And I am guessing Neville is teaching herbology?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

mngaby wrote:
And I am guessing Neville is teaching herbology?

You are guessing correctly. The text reads something like "I can't just go into Herbology and give the professor love!"
Frequent Contributor
Tonks07
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieK

Well i hope deal God that she does write an 'encylopedia' on the worls of Harry potter later likes she's teased she might. I don't mind the coversational setting of the seene BUT i mean what about... oh i donno half a dozen charaters we've come to know and love!

I am disappointed a bit in it too because, well, besides what some have already said it just leaves you feeling like you had a bartles bean of earwax flavor.

By the way does anyone notice, that Harrys son 'Albus Severus' initials are A.S.P. like the snake... no wonder he worries abotu getting into sylterin lol

i would have also like to known did harry and draco ever shake hands, i mean you do seem then cordualy noding to eachother but i was hoping for more.

Oh and somethign else i caught, Harry and Ginny's kids accordng to the all parents and grandparents must be... rule are inface "pure-bloods".

I think it would have been nicer as well if she had insisted on a hogwarts train seene to have it be the oldest kids first time going off *shrug* or maybe even earlier.
Contributor
readsalot
0 Kudos

I thoroughly enjoyed the epilogue. The American Heritage dictionary says that an epilogue is "1. A short poem or speach spoken directly to the audience at the end of a play. 2. A short section at the end of a literary or dramatic work, often discussing the future of its characters; afterword."

I think the scene was a fitting look into the future of the main character -- Harry Potter. It gives you just enough to be able to imagine what the rest of his life must be like. I particularly enjoy the comment he gives to his son about "choice."
Contributor
teriandcb
0 Kudos

I thought it was interesting that Ron and Hermione's kids were named Rose and Hugo--R and H. Hugo means bright mind and bright spirit which is a good combo of Hermione and Ron. Also, Hugo seems to be a fairly popular British name.
New User
empriss
0 Kudos

Did Harry and Ginny live in Godrics Hollow and up hold the Peverell tradition? I must hand it to JKR, even at the very end she still makes us think!
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

allenctynimrod wrote:
With the name Albus Serverus did anyone else get the felling that the eldest was named James Sirius? :smileyhappy: Wonder what Lily's middle name is?

I was thinking the same thing too. It *has* to be James Sirius! (lol) As for Lily? Lily Molly doesn't sound right....maybe Hermione????? THe names Albus Severus and Hugo did crack me up!
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
New User
tricia1116
0 Kudos

Actually i was thinking and remember he said he saw Percy at the station...but he never said anything about seeing Bill or Fleur so im now thinking that Victoire (or however you spell it) is Percys daughter because regardless of age what parent wouldnt be there to see their child off ....
New User
JmgJ
0 Kudos

i think i read that JKR won a hugo award at the end of the book in the about the author paragraph maybe that had something to do with his name
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 535 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: