Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tlavoe
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Epilogue

I loved the names of his kids, especially Albus Severance
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Re: Victoire

swimsquirrel8 wrote:
I was thiking Victoire was Viktor Krum's child
also i'm a little confused
JK Rowling said that by the end of the book we would know what harry's parents did for a living and what dudley saw when the dementors came at him
why weren't those things in the book??

Nope, Viktor is not part of the family; Fleur married Bill, so their daughter would be a cousin to Ginny's kids. Victoire would be Fleur and Bill's daughter.
New User
tomato256
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Can anyone please clear up for me why Hermionie & Ron named their kids Rose & Hugo?!?!? I can't figure it out. I know someone mentioned Victor Hugo - I was thinking it was JK's way of referencing the Hugo award - but neither of those seem right. Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Message Edited by tomato256 on 07-23-2007 01:03 PM
Contributor
sense93
0 Kudos

Wow. I totally agree. The epilogue was not what I expected. I wanted to know more about what happend through the 19 years. I wanted to know about the Dursleys, what happened through the years, wht jobs they had, when they got married and had kids, and even if they still stayed in touch. How's George doing without Fred? Is Ted part werewolf? What happened to the Burrow? Who's headmaster? Is Snape's picture in the Headmaster's office or is it not because Voldemort made him headmaster? Are Neville and Luna together? I want to know so much more, and I just don't understand why JKR made the epilogu like this? Is it still possible to add to it? And is it true she's starting a new series that may include the same characters?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

tricia1116 wrote:
Actually i was thinking and remember he said he saw Percy at the station...but he never said anything about seeing Bill or Fleur so im now thinking that Victoire (or however you spell it) is Percys daughter because regardless of age what parent wouldnt be there to see their child off ....

Teddy Lupin, Victoire's boyfriend, dropped her off at the train. She is older, she did not need parents there, the young people wanted a bit of privacy to say their goodbyes... I could easily see the parents not being there.
New User
tricia1116
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

tricia1116 wrote:
Actually i was thinking and remember he said he saw Percy at the station...but he never said anything about seeing Bill or Fleur so im now thinking that Victoire (or however you spell it) is Percys daughter because regardless of age what parent wouldnt be there to see their child off ....

Teddy Lupin, Victoire's boyfriend, dropped her off at the train. She is older, she did not need parents there, the young people wanted a bit of privacy to say their goodbyes... I could easily see the parents not being there.

So then what would percy be doing there if not to drop off a child if he happened to be a teacher it still wouldnt make sense because the teachers never come to the train and i highly doubt hes a conductor lol
New User
digoryd
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
Just curious--Were any of you expecting the Epilogue to be more of a summary of each character's future, more of a listing kind of thing rather than a scene from the future? I'm wondering, since it was a scene instead of exposition, per se, we didn't get answers to some of the questions fans expected to get. There were many ways JKR could have written the Epilogue (as a direct note to the reader from the author; as a character from the future telling information; etc.), so I'm curious about why she chose to write a scene from the future that, by its nature, requires leaving so many more questions unanswered. Do any of you have any thoughts on this? Is she saving the more straight forward information for her later reference book for charity, possibly?

I have some more thoughts on this, but I'd like to hear some of yours before I post them.

~ConnieK

I think the reason she didn't add more specific detail to the epilogue is b/c none of that would have really mattered to Harry. Throughout the whole series, the only thing he really wants is to be part of a real family, and she shows us, he gets his greatest wish, end of story, nothing else matters. The rest of the answers would just be to satisfy our curiosity, it wouldn't have been in perfect fitting with this long story she created.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

tricia1116 wrote:

Psychee wrote:

tricia1116 wrote:

So then what would percy be doing there if not to drop off a child if he happened to be a teacher it still wouldnt make sense because the teachers never come to the train and i highly doubt hes a conductor lol

Sorry? I'm not understanding you. I think Percy is a dad at the station, but not the father of Victoire... her name suggests to me that she is the daughter of Bill & Fleur...
New User
tomato256
0 Kudos

I think she could have added in more of a summary with everyone, especially George, as Harry is now part of the big happy Weasley family. And having Percy just there to me raised more questions than it answered - was he Victoire's father? Is he a teacher? Why is he there? Etc...
New User
librarybookgrl
0 Kudos

I agree that having Percy there is odd but I don't think he's Victoire's father. Did anyone else notice that since Percy was busy discoursing on broomstick regulations, that Harry was "quite glad of the excuse not to stop and say hello..." It's interesting to me that even Percy came around at the end of the book, nineteen years later Harry still evidently too fond of his wife's brother. I'm sure that makes holidays at the Burrow nice. But I don't think Harry liked him much before he went the ministry's way anyway.
New User
granger202
0 Kudos

i'm wondering about who draco married aswell. at first, i thought maybe pansy parkinson, because she was close to malfoy in the other books. but i think that malfoy may have disrepected parkinson since she wanted to give harry to voldermort. i think malfoy resepects harry now. i mean, harry, hermione and ron did save malfoy twice and they also reunited his family.
New User
bjdash007
0 Kudos

"It was important that Harry had Lily's eyes. That was whole meaning behind Snape saying, "Look...at...me." right before he died. He wanted to see Lily's eyes one more time. It had nothing to do with Harry -- it was all about his love for Lily and everything he put himself through to save her son -- even after he found out from Dumbledore that Harry wouldn't be saved in the end (or so Snape thought). Hope this helps :0)"

Thank you! I have read the book... and I relaly loved it, but I also had that question about Harry's eyes... and it makes COMPLETE sense now.
New User
Narnian4
0 Kudos

Wish we could find out about Nevill's parents as well - hope they were cured!
Contributor
emmyann419
0 Kudos

Her leaving out so much leaves it open for an 8th book??!?!?!

casstrot wrote:
I was a little disappointed in the epilogue. I would have liked to know what they ended up becoming (career wise). I also wondered who Victoire was, but after reading the posts I think that she could be Bill and Fleur's daughter is the best guess so far. I also wondered what happened to a few of the other characters, especially Luna. I also wondered if Harry maybe got in contact with his relatives, made some kind of peace with them, especially Dudley and Petunia.

Contributor
emmyann419
0 Kudos

dream ending

I'm very glad that the ending wasn't... and it was all a dream....
New User
JENN7
0 Kudos

One thing is for sure; the epilogue leaves many possibilities for future books if Rowling chooses to continue with Hogwarts. I loved the book. I certainly hope she does continue to write if even from a totally different story perspective.
New User
yaowsers
0 Kudos

yeah, but wasn't victoire snogging teddy? i can't see percy putting up with that!
New User
RinaBean1987
0 Kudos

I really liked the epilogue. I felt like everyone has moved on and is very happy, and isn't that what we all wanted? Harry, Ron and Hermoine to be happy in the end. I loved Harry's kids names, James, Albus, and Lily. I also like how Albus has his mothers/his eyes. I do have one thing that annoyed me. From what I could tell James, Albus, and Lily have no idea who their father is. When Albus gets on the train and ask why everyone is looking at Harry and Ron says that it's because he is famous ( which he kinda is), I feel bad. If I found out that my father had this huge part in history and never told me I would be a little angry. I mean he is HARRY POTTER!! Which I know was a bigger deal to everyone when Harry was Albus' age, but still he changed history. Other than that I really loved the Ending.

Also I don't think Victorie, or however you spell it, is Bill's daughter because wouldn't Bill have been there to see his daughter off? Although if Teddy took her then maybe they said goodbye at the house. I don't know.....
New User
katiehedge
0 Kudos

I am making a guess at why Ron and Hermione named their children Rose and Hugo, aside from the obvious R H thing.

Hugo was the name of the first award the first Harry Potter book won
JK Rowling's great grandmother was named Rose Kathleen Card
she took the K in her name from the Kathleen
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Those sound like very reasonable guesses to me, katiehedge!

~ConnieK

katiehedge wrote:
I am making a guess at why Ron and Hermione named their children Rose and Hugo, aside from the obvious R H thing.

Hugo was the name of the first award the first Harry Potter book won
JK Rowling's great grandmother was named Rose Kathleen Card
she took the K in her name from the Kathleen

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 384 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: