Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
SnapeFan
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Epilogue

MiZZMISSY wrote:
THIS IS OFF TOPIC BUT WEREN'T THERE SUPPOSED TO BE 789 PAGES I MEAN THAT'S WHAT WAS PUBLICIZED BUT I TURNED OUT TO BE ONLY 759 PAGES AND DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM GOT THE SWORD BACK WHEN GRIPHOOK TOOK IT FROM GRINGOTT?

It wasn't really said how the sword returned, but my guess is that it once again came out of the sorting hat. Remember Dumbledore told Harry in Chamber of Secrets that help would always be given to those at Hogwarts that needed it. When Harry needed help he was able to pull the sword out of the hat. Once again help was needed by Neville and he was able to pull the sword out of the hat to kill the snake. I think Dumbledore or a predecessor put an enchantment on the sword so that it would always remain at Hogwarts.
New User
HarryPotterFan1
0 Kudos

Re: Victoire

SnapeFan wrote:

stephgirl32 wrote:

swimsquirrel8 wrote:
I was thiking Victoire was Viktor Krum's child
also i'm a little confused
JK Rowling said that by the end of the book we would know what harry's parents did for a living and what dudley saw when the dementors came at him
why weren't those things in the book??

alot of thingds wernt in th book that jk said would b. like she had said that the fact that harry had lilys eyes would be very important but i dint c it in th book at all! or mab i missed something...

At the end when S Snape was dying he asked Harry to look into his eyes. He wanted to be looking into Lily's eyes, who he loved, when he was dying.

yeah that sux. did anyone else thank that there would be more on what happened while harry was gone from hogwarts? and i thought that harry's parents would come back to life? AND! how did neville get the sword of Gryffindor? weird
Contributor
Mistress_of_Eternity
0 Kudos

Isn't Victorie Fleur and Bill's child?

Also, Neville pulled the sword out of the sorting hat. Only a true Gryffindor... and he did embody that completely in the 7th book. Well done Neville, I was so proud of him :smileyhappy:
"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses; I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death." - Professor Severus Snape
Frequent Contributor
ravensilverlight
0 Kudos

I also LOVED the fact that Harry named his son Albus Severus. And I also thought it was really cool that the only child who inherited Lily's eyes had Severus's name. *tear*
BUT...

Fury161 wrote:
I believe in OoTP Harry is asked about what he think he might want to do after school, and I seem to remember he wanted to be an Auror. Hope this helps.

fury161:smileyhappy:

However, in order to be an Auror you need a minimum of five NEWTs...so did Harry, Ron, and Hermione ever go back to school? Take the NEWT exams? Or did they get a sort of "Wizarding GED"??? lol! What happened to Luna, and Dean, and how is George without Fred? Is Percy still a prat, and what was he doing at platform 9 3/4? How is Hagrid - and Grawp??? So many questions, and so few answers. I loved the book, but I have questions!!! Help me Jo!!!
Contributor
HP_Fan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I love it when ron says to the kids as they ask why everyone is staring at them.

"Don't let it worry you, It's me. I'm extremly famous."

Something you would expect him to say. :smileyvery-happy:

By the way did it ever mention who had raised Ted Lupin all those years? I know Harry and Ginny said he could come to stay with them.. but by this time he had to be atleast 19? Seeing he was born almost 19 years from that day? So was it Harry that decided to take him in as his god child after leaving Hogwarts for the final time? Or was it tonks mother? It might have said it and I just missed it due to being overwhelmed with the ending but I dont think it was.

Message Edited by HP_Fan on 07-25-2007 04:48 AM
Contributor
thebigz
0 Kudos

I know its hilarious!!!
Contributor
thebigz
0 Kudos

That my friend, was deep!
Contributor
thebigz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Wouldn't Draco have married Pansy?
-----------------------------------------------------------

That's what I thought. I mean it makes sense...doesn't it. They were pretty chummy in school.

Message Edited by thebigz on 07-25-2007 10:49 AM
Contributor
thebigz
0 Kudos

Weeell JK herself said that she might want to "revisit" the world of Harry Potter someday. Maybe she left us all these questions for us to have something to read about if she ever does make a new book. That's my thoughts on it.

P.S. does anyone think it would be about Harry and co. or their kids.
Contributor
thebigz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I just wanted to put out there that i think it is perfectly understyandable that harry used some unforgivable curses in that book. Like Lupin said, "The time for disarmming is over." If your under attack, if there is a way to stay alive a little longer you take it.

Message Edited by thebigz on 07-25-2007 10:52 AM
New User
Harryisgod
0 Kudos

Thank you! I also was disappointed that not all questions were answered. What DID Harrys parents do? In addition, I wanted to know how the rest of the characters turned out. We know Neville is professor of herbology, but what are the rest of the gang doing? What do Harry, Ron, and Hermione decide to do with their lives? Whatever happens between Hagrid and Olympe? What now is the ministrys policy regarding mudbloods, centaurs, goblins, and houseelves? Does Harry get a new broom? I hate having questions after finishing a book!
Contributor
thebigz
0 Kudos

Thank you! I also was disappointed that not all questions were answered. What DID Harrys parents do? In addition, I wanted to know how the rest of the characters turned out. We know Neville is professor of herbology, but what are the rest of the gang doing? What do Harry, Ron, and Hermione decide to do with their lives? Whatever happens between Hagrid and Olympe? What now is the ministrys policy regarding mudbloods, centaurs, goblins, and houseelves? Does Harry get a new broom? I hate having questions after finishing a book!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know how you feel but maybe there was a reason for it.
Contributor
sense93
0 Kudos

Weeell JK herself said that she might want to "revisit" the world of Harry Potter someday. Maybe she left us all these questions for us to have something to read about if she ever does make a new book. That's my thoughts on it.

P.S. does anyone think it would be about Harry and co. or their kids.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When did she say that cuz I would love it if she would? I only heard that she was going to make an encyclopedia about Harry Potter, but I'd rather she just continue the series or make a new one with the same characters on a new adventure.
New User
MiZZMISSY
0 Kudos

I DIDN'T THINK OF IT LIKE THAT, THANKS.
New User
HP_LOVEEE
0 Kudos

Re: :[

ahhhhhh

i cried. :[
i have NEVER cried reading a book!
i dont know if it was because the books are over or because of what actually happened.

this is depressing
lol
New User
jlat89
0 Kudos

Not sure if it has been brought up yet, but I personally ended up feeling sorry for Snape as a child, and didn't exactly like James Potter for torturing him. In the epilogue, I now don't exactly like Ron because of how he talked of Draco and his child. Narcissa redeemed her family by saving Harry, and I am sure in these later years Draco changed. It shows that Ron never grew up and he didn't 'love' like he should have. I don't know, this is just what I saw personally.
New User
jlat89
0 Kudos

Also, she ruined her chances of even considering continuing the series with the same characters, by making this epilogue. It will have to continue with the children. Albus Potter and the Mystery of my Father's Occupation? Hugo Weasley and the Consideration of a Name Change? I don't know. You guys decide. :smileytongue:
Contributor
sense93
0 Kudos

Also, she ruined her chances of even considering continuing the series with the same characters, by making this epilogue. It will have to continue with the children. Albus Potter and the Mystery of my Father's Occupation? Hugo Weasley and the Consideration of a Name Change? I don't know. You guys decide.
Actually, she can continue the series with the same people. She can continue with the lives of the characters after they turned 17 and stuff. It would mean that the characters wouldn't die, but it's not like they know that. Plus, that doesn't mean that the characters around them would die. And the main characters can actually die, too, if JKR wants. She can say their futures changed and stuff or make them come back to life.
New User
jbm1022
0 Kudos

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Most of this is about the book overall, so I thought this is the best place to post. Some of the instances that made me teary-eyed were the return of old characters (Harry's quidditch team) and Percy coming to his senses. I mourned the loss of Colin Creevy, who so looked up to Harry, along with the losses of others including Fred and Lupin. I think they made amends with Percy, but by showing him at the end talking about broom regulations (or whatever) showed that he didn't betray himself either, he's all about towing the line and when push came to shove he towed the line on the right side.

The name Albus Serverus is one of the best parts of the book. I totally didn't catch why Snape said "look at me", thanks for pointing that out.

I was satisfied with the epilogue, I think it gave just the right amount of information that things are ok.

I think Draco and Harry definitely acknowledge that the each had a hand in the others survival.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

jlat89 wrote:
It shows that Ron never grew up and he didn't 'love' like he should have. I don't know, this is just what I saw personally.

I think all that she showed of Ron was that he had not changed his sense of humor. He's a tease, he likes a laugh, and he likes the idea of teams competing against eachother, like in Quidditch. This is sport for him. He's laughing!
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 1,000 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: