Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
readallnight
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Epilogue

Victoire is the French version of Victoria, which means victory. That's a great name for a baby born soon after the demise of "you know who." So Vitoire makes perfect sense for a baby born to Bill and Fleur. I'm not entirely sure why Hugo is the name Hermione and Ron chose though. I guess I have to accept that they wanted an H name to go with their R name (Rose) and Hugo does mean, "of bright spirit and intelect."

I don't think Pansy would have married Draco after his parents and he stayed within the castle after Voldermort's death. I think all the Slytherin families would have been in hiding and counting heads. The Malfoy's absence, and Narcissa's obvious lie of saying Harry died would probably leave a bad taste in the mouth of the slytherins.
Frequent Contributor
Svguy13
0 Kudos

does any one but me agree that that harrys son albus snape potter is a weird name but perfictly under standable, bcause like he said they had planed every thing from the beg.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Svguy13 wrote:
does any one but me agree that that harrys son albus snape potter is a weird name but perfictly under standable, bcause like he said they had planed every thing from the beg.

Actually, the name is "Albus Severus Potter", I think... which I don't think is much better, lol... but the child can carry it proudly... :smileyhappy:

It could have been worse, I think... isn't Ron's middle name "Bilius"? What a name for a kid with red hair! lol...
New User
keeperfan
0 Kudos

My guess is that Teddy was raised by his grandparents although the ending doesn't specify that. You could tell Albus was his favorite or maybe Albus was just more irresistible to Harry since he had his mother's eyes.
New User
keeperfan
0 Kudos

My theory on Rowling's epilogue is that she created a future for them so far in advanced so that other people couldn't or at least would have a harder time if they tried. Specifically with the main characters, Malfoy, Voldemort, etc. She wanted Harry's story to be done. But she has mentioned in interviews that there are so many other characters in the wizarding world to build on that it opens up that Possibility, but she didn't confirm wether she would take that route.
New User
TBCSI1
0 Kudos

I am very pleased to see Harry marry Ginny and Ron Marry Hermione. I also excited to know Harry ahd three children 2 boys and a girl. He names j=his children after his parents and one of his sone and Albus and snape. Although the last paragraph has me thinking as if will J.K. Rowling right more but their children face the fights instead of Harry, Ron, and Hermione?
New User
keeperfan
0 Kudos

I actually think it would be better for her to expand outside the main character's lives and their childrens and write about wizards who live in other countries like Egypt or something. It would be cool to discover other brave wizards who have finished school and hangout in Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Rose and Hugo??
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
New User
keeperfan
0 Kudos

Not even Rose and Hugo. I'm thinking more of shop owners in the wizarding world. Maybe even goblins, different creatures. Professors from other schools.
New User
katiehedge
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

kimmiller1017 wrote:
I personally don't think there was anything special about the names Hugo and Rose except for the fact one begins with "r" for Ron and "h" for Hermoine I didn't take anything else from it besides that.

I tend to agree...and Rose was a name of one of JKRs relative. Where Hugo came from is another thing..I was thinking that one of Hermione's admirers was named Victor and maybe JKR just associated Victor with Hugo (Victor Hugo being a famous writer) and H being so fond of books, etc.

I don't think there was any other deep association.

By the way, hope everyone enjoyed the book as much as I did. At first, I thought that I would go chapter by chapter and comment as I went along...but that proved too difficult..the book was too engrossing and I wanted to get to the end to find out what happened. JKR really has taken everyone on a splendid journey.

Regards,

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 07-24-2007 10:59 AM

All of the names that JK uses in the book tend to have a significance. So I think it would be strange if she bothered to name them and didn't have anything behind it.
New User
HermioneWeasley07
0 Kudos

Re: Victoire

Harryisgod wrote:
Thank you! I also was disappointed that not all questions were answered. What DID Harrys parents do? In addition, I wanted to know how the rest of the characters turned out. We know Neville is professor of herbology, but what are the rest of the gang doing? What do Harry, Ron, and Hermione decide to do with their lives? Whatever happens between Hagrid and Olympe? What now is the ministrys policy regarding mudbloods, centaurs, goblins, and houseelves? Does Harry get a new broom? I hate having questions after finishing a book!

J.K. said that she is going to write an encyclopedia with all the details that weren't answered in the book and stuff like that. And she's also on The Today Show tomorrow, talking about the 7th book and answering questions and such.
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

jlat89 wrote:
Not sure if it has been brought up yet, but I personally ended up feeling sorry for Snape as a child, and didn't exactly like James Potter for torturing him. In the epilogue, I now don't exactly like Ron because of how he talked of Draco and his child. Narcissa redeemed her family by saving Harry, and I am sure in these later years Draco changed. It shows that Ron never grew up and he didn't 'love' like he should have. I don't know, this is just what I saw personally.

We know from past books that Ron holds grudges, so I don't see how this is a surprise
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Frequent Contributor
sunny4328
0 Kudos

Some answers!!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

Rowling gives us a few answers to what we've all been asking. Definitely gonna watch Dateline this Sunday!!!
~Kristy
McKinney, TX
Frequent Contributor
Stacey_C
0 Kudos

the today show

JKR was on the today show today (also going to be on tomorrow and then on dateline on sunday). But today the showed her saying what Ron, Hermione and Harry are doing as a carreer. She said that Ron and Harry are Auror's and they revolutionised the department, and she thought that Hermione was way up in the magical law enforcement dept. so i thought it was cool that the hits she droped earlier in the books are what really happens to the 3 of them.
Contributor
iDigHermione
0 Kudos

Re: the today show

Did anyone else think that the Epilogue was a little cliche? Like... I don't know. I'm extremely happy with they way it ended in the way that Hermione married and Ginny, and Ron to Hermione... and then, well, they all got busy. I was happy to see them sending off their kids to Hogwarts because that Castle is truely at the heart of the whole series. But, I mean, the last two sentences are as follows:

"The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well."

Like, those two sentences just rushed out feeling generic and empty. I mean, the 7th book was incredible, I wouldn't have wanted it to end any other way. But... when I read those last two lines, I felt like JKR wasn't quite sure how the last few words should read, and she just scribbled those down.

I don't know. Either way, The story of Harry Potter has been an ingenious one, and I only hope that JKR falls in love with another fictional idea and keeps on writing.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

iDigHermione wrote:
Did anyone else think that the Epilogue was a little cliche? Like... I don't know. I'm extremely happy with they way it ended in the way that Hermione married and Ginny, and Ron to Hermione... and then, well, they all got busy. I was happy to see them sending off their kids to Hogwarts because that Castle is truely at the heart of the whole series. But, I mean, the last two sentences are as follows:

"The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well."

Like, those two sentences just rushed out feeling generic and empty. I mean, the 7th book was incredible, I wouldn't have wanted it to end any other way. But... when I read those last two lines, I felt like JKR wasn't quite sure how the last few words should read, and she just scribbled those down.

I don't know. Either way, The story of Harry Potter has been an ingenious one, and I only hope that JKR falls in love with another fictional idea and keeps on writing.

On her site, she said that she had written this segment even before others..and I do agree with you. I would have been just as happy to have the book end before the Epilogue but I know that it was a treat for many. It seemed to raise more questions about how they supported themselves and what HP ended up doing with his life (not that any of these characters are real folks..we know they aren't.. lol)
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

sec4582 wrote:
JKR was on the today show today (also going to be on tomorrow and then on dateline on sunday). But today the showed her saying what Ron, Hermione and Harry are doing as a carreer. She said that Ron and Harry are Auror's and they revolutionised the department, and she thought that Hermione was way up in the magical law enforcement dept. so i thought it was cool that the hits she droped earlier in the books are what really happens to the 3 of them.

That is really cool information..thank you for passing that along..some other thoughts from JKR.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Some answers!!

sunny4328 wrote:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

Rowling gives us a few answers to what we've all been asking. Definitely gonna watch Dateline this Sunday!!!

Thank you sunny..this was really awesome.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

katiehedge wrote:

bentley wrote:

kimmiller1017 wrote:
I personally don't think there was anything special about the names Hugo and Rose except for the fact one begins with "r" for Ron and "h" for Hermoine I didn't take anything else from it besides that.

I tend to agree...and Rose was a name of one of JKRs relative. Where Hugo came from is another thing..I was thinking that one of Hermione's admirers was named Victor and maybe JKR just associated Victor with Hugo (Victor Hugo being a famous writer) and H being so fond of books, etc.

I don't think there was any other deep association.

By the way, hope everyone enjoyed the book as much as I did. At first, I thought that I would go chapter by chapter and comment as I went along...but that proved too difficult..the book was too engrossing and I wanted to get to the end to find out what happened. JKR really has taken everyone on a splendid journey.

Regards,

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 07-24-2007 10:59 AM

All of the names that JK uses in the book tend to have a significance. So I think it would be strange if she bothered to name them and didn't have anything behind it.

Having a R starting name for Ron and and H starting name for Hermione seem like reasons..and then again H loved books..so maybe that was it. Not sure it goes much deeper than that. I think that is all she had behind it...but maybe JKR will answer that question as well in one of her interviews (she seemed to address Harry's occupation, etc). Would love to hear her response.
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:
Who is Victoire?

You may already know this by now, but Victoire is Bill and Fleur's oldest child- a girl, presumably.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 281 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: