Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Epilogue

DavidC wrote:

pedsphleb wrote:
Nope, Gabrielle is Fleur's little sister. And she wouldn't be on the Hogwarts Express because she went to school in France (and would have been far older than school age because the Epilogue is set 19 years later).

Yes, I'm sorry about this. Something was nagging at me since I answered. Thank you for catching it.

You all probably know this already, but I'm not technologically inclined enough to figure out this site. So, according to JK, Victoire is Bill and Fleur's eldest child-presumably a girl.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

katiehedge wrote:

bentley wrote:

kimmiller1017 wrote:
I personally don't think there was anything special about the names Hugo and Rose except for the fact one begins with "r" for Ron and "h" for Hermoine I didn't take anything else from it besides that.

I tend to agree...and Rose was a name of one of JKRs relative. Where Hugo came from is another thing..I was thinking that one of Hermione's admirers was named Victor and maybe JKR just associated Victor with Hugo (Victor Hugo being a famous writer) and H being so fond of books, etc.

I don't think there was any other deep association.

By the way, hope everyone enjoyed the book as much as I did. At first, I thought that I would go chapter by chapter and comment as I went along...but that proved too difficult..the book was too engrossing and I wanted to get to the end to find out what happened. JKR really has taken everyone on a splendid journey.

Regards,

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 07-24-2007 10:59 AM

All of the names that JK uses in the book tend to have a significance. So I think it would be strange if she bothered to name them and didn't have anything behind it.

Having a R starting name for Ron and and H starting name for Hermione seem like reasons..and then again H loved books..so maybe that was it. Not sure it goes much deeper than that. I think that is all she had behind it...but maybe JKR will answer that question as well in one of her interviews (she seemed to address Harry's occupation, etc). Would love to hear her response.

One other thing that I just noticed on the JKR site which probably is posted elsewhere but is worth mentioning. JKR will be going on a book tour in October of this year and JKR will be in NYC on October 19th at Carnegie Hall, one event in LA and another in New Orleans..I believe that there will be 2 events in NYC and three of the four US events are for children. Scholastic is the sponsor.
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

If you haven't already, check out the mugglenet.com link to the JK interview with the Today show- she answers most of that-including why the epiloge was hazy. Harry is head of the Auror dept. and I think Ron is up there with him- Hermione is way up in Magical Law enforcement Dept. (attorney I think she mentioned?). And JK also said she now thinks a Luna and Nevill ship could work.
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

But they didn't have to- they still have Harry with them! Yay!
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

From the JK interview, it seems that she wrote the Epilogue that way to keep with narration- it was a scene we were getting a glimps of as opposed a tell-all about the characters. Three cheers for the "possible" upcoming encyclopedia! (I hope she knows we take that as a promise!)
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

Since Hermione had said if she survived she would go get her parents back, I think that's what can be concluded. Hermione is clever enough to undo the memory charm, and since nothing else is said, I'm going with that.
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

Knowing Percy, he was at the station to make sure everyone's cauldron bottoms were up to standard.
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

Nope- according to JK's interview, those curses were permanent. Sad though.
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

Re: dream ending

Ditto!
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

Re: Victoire

Yes- Victoire is Bill and Fleur's daughter-according to the JK interview
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

I think the short nod Draco gave Harry and Ron showed only civility, not friendship of any degree, or even like. People can co-exist without ever liking each other and that's what this seems to me to be. Ron, however, will always be Ron- he will never quite get the depth of things (fortunately for him, he's got Hermione for that). Even at the end, Ron (unlike Harry) doesn't get that the Slytherine/Gryffindor (sp?) thing doesn't matter anymore-another classic Ron. Gotta love him, the bonehead.
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

P.S.- Narcissa redeamed no one. She helped Harry to get her family back and we see no evidence that she or any of the other Malfoy's helped in the fighting against Bellatrix/Voldemort. I picture the Malfoys going off with their tails between their legs to recover, and then continuing to rely on their money to make it through this world where they are no longer in the best inner circles. Though I do think they would have given up trying for the whole pure-blood "let's take over the world" deal.
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

Yeah, since Ted Tonks-Teddy's grandfather- died (didn't he?) it would be terribly sad to take him from his grandmother and leave her all alone. Afterall, Tonks said her mother would "take care of Teddy" when Tonk;s arrived at Hogwarts to fight. In hindsight I see that as her essentially giving her son to her mother.
New User
kaseylou
0 Kudos

I can't figure out how to operate this site-yikes! That was:

Ron and Hermione don't have to name a kid after Harry because they still have Harry with them-YAY!!
New User
sexxymamasof1
0 Kudos

quidditchpro wrote:
Just curious, who else loves that Harry named his second son Albus Severus?

I loved the name of all of Harry and Ginny's kids and yes Alubs Servrus was the perfect name for them to name a son. I love the ending of this book. it was a death filled sad and madding book, but I loved the end, Finally Harry got his happy ending and he worked really hard for it too.
Have a good day and GOD Bless you!!!
Frequent Contributor
Stacey_C
0 Kudos

I think i got this from Leaky, but here's a thing from USA today with more details. http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2007-07-25-harry-potter-spoilers_N.htm it confirms some of what we've already assumed and gives a bit more than what i've see on the Today show and gives some other information i havent seen any place else. so enjoy! Also, if you want to watch JRK on the today show its todays (7/27) and then she's on Dateline on Sunday (7/29 i believe), and these are both NBC shows.
New User
headw8g
0 Kudos

i think lily's middle name was nymphadora so that the kids were James Sirius, Albus Severus and Lily Nymphadora.
New User
headw8g
0 Kudos

i think that if Rowling "revisited" the Harry potter world, it would be about Albus Severus cos that is the kid who was talked about most as in he was worried about going to Slytherin and the Epilogue skips to the exact year that he is joining Hogwarts unlike James who had already joined. He's got to be a great kid- the wit of dumbledore and the bravery of snape what do you think?
Contributor
lhendrie
0 Kudos

JK's answers

Why does an author have to give us all of the answers in the end. Somethings have to be left up to the readers imaginations. I think that after all of the attention Harry received, often unwanted and not very nice, that he would have wanted a quiet peaceful life with a family that he loved. He enjoyed being the hero (everyone pointed that out to him in book 5 when Voldemort used an image of Sirus to lure him to the MOM) but a lot of book 7 talks about how much he would like to go back to the comfy, cushy, home feeling of Hogworts. He thinks this often when Ron had left and he was checking the Marauders Map. It is just nice to know that "all is well" with him and his family and we can use our own imaginations to answer some of the more dailey life questions. I am sure Harry got a new broom. He had a vault full of gold. Maybe he didn't work. He did enough work before he even turned 17.

Sorry to disagree with everyone.
New User
Rubyslippers1
0 Kudos

Victoire is the daughter of Bill and Fleur. JKR did an interview on the Today Show yesterday and you can read it on the website..gives a bit mroe info than the epilogue did.
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 693 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: