Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Lupingirl
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the First Chapter

kmreese1321 wrote:
is dolores umbridge in the meeting? i believe there is a description of a squat woman with pointy teeth. is that umbridge??

I think that may be Alecto. In HBP, she and husband Amycus were the Death Eaters who arrived on the tower with Fenrir before Snape got there.
tee
New User
tee
0 Kudos

I think Snape was really evil at first but now I think he is jealous of Harry or has some underlying secret he hasn't uncovered yet.
New User
aelita8188
0 Kudos

Snape is still good to me. I really like Snape. Voldemort on the other hand is not my favorite.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

I don't know too many people who've ever said they like Voldemort, aelita8188! Do you think he would be a more interesting villain if there were even a small chink in his evil armor that people could relate to?

~ConnieK

aelita8188 wrote:
Snape is still good to me. I really like Snape. Voldemort on the other hand is not my favorite.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Dr_Robert_R_Scarpin
0 Kudos

If I were to have written the book, the first chapter would have been pretty much along the same lines -- that being said, I'm a bit suprised that no one has offered an opinion about how such a chapter might affect an "under twelve" year old - a member of the "target audience" for advertisers.

I have to confess of my disappointment in Ms Rowling for having chosen that chapter to personally read to the throngs of 6 - 10 year olds at the midnight book launch. In my opinion, the book is not written for the same age group as was book one. Cold blooded torture, murder and feeding to a snake of a woman teacher is NOT the fare for first, second and third graders by most parents' standards.

It is a tough job for a author of such a long series to maintain a writing age standard. Think about it, the 9 year olds who started Harry are now over twenty!

Also --- no one seems to have mentioned the dedication "split in SEVEN parts"; or the front quote from Aeschylus. He was attempting to avenge his fathers murder. Unfortunately the murderer was his MOTHER and an uncle; and, in doing so he was condemned because, apparantly, killing a mother is worse than killing a father. I recently looked it up thinking to find a wonderful analogy or metaphor - but I don't see one.

R Scarpin
Dr. Scarpin's SCARPnotes
Dr. Robert R Scarpin
Dr Scarpin's SCARPnotes
Contributor
AliMcJ
0 Kudos

I've always liked Snape -- "always" meaning since he was muttering away in Book One during the Quiddich match, looking like he was cursing Harry when he was saving him.

I've also been confused for many years by JKR's statement that she couldn't understand why so many people like Snape -- er, sorry, make that Professor Snape. She said that some time after Book III or IV, adding that he truly was a thoroughly dislikable character. I continued to like him and wondered why she made those statements, if she threw that out as a red herring, or was wondering why she had failed to portray him as dislikable as he really was or was wondering what was wrong with her readers for liking a dislikable character, or a combination of any and all of those - - and any more I might say must be somewhere along in a later chapter.

quidditchpro wrote:

pallavi054 wrote:
Yeah 1st to comment!

I still think Snape is good. I think he's giving false information to Voldemort to save Harry.

I agree that Snape is good, but I have to wonder if there really is a source inside the Order. That's a pretty big lie if he gets caught in it, so I tend to think that it is true. I wonder who it is, and if perhaps they're a double agent also, one who knows Snape is still on the side of good, or if they are the real evil one and they don't know Snape's true alliances. Can't wait to find out.

New User
ladiixox
0 Kudos

The 1st chapter is pretty misterious and i think severous is a bad guy but also a good guy.. is that possible? lol anyway narccissa is pretty scared and her husband and son. And how does snape knows when harry is leaving...
Frequent Contributor
Robeena
0 Kudos

It is seems that am the last one who managed to read the book :smileyhappy:

i really wonder how snape knows about harry's leaving date ?
i felt sorry about charity ,,, and draco as well !
~ Robeena ~
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Oh, I'm sure you're not the last person to read the book, Robeena! I hope you enjoy it.

~ConnieK

Robeena wrote:
It is seems that am the last one who managed to read the book :smileyhappy:

i really wonder how snape knows about harry's leaving date ?
i felt sorry about charity ,,, and draco as well !

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 605 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: