Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Discuss the First Chapter

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 1 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 1, this thread may contain plot spoilers.
Contributor
pallavi054
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the First Chapter

[ Edited ]
Yeah 1st to comment!

I still think Snape is good. I think he's giving false information to Voldemort to save Harry. Then again he didn't make any effort to save Charity. Bellatrix is such a suck up!

Message Edited by pallavi054 on 07-21-2007 01:51 AM
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

pallavi054 wrote:
Yeah 1st to comment!

I still think Snape is good. I think he's giving false information to Voldemort to save Harry. Then again he didn't make any effort to save Charity. Bellatrix is such a suck up!

I agree that Snape is good, but I have to wonder if there really is a source inside the Order. That's a pretty big lie if he gets caught in it, so I tend to think that it is true. I wonder who it is, and if perhaps they're a double agent also, one who knows Snape is still on the side of good, or if they are the real evil one and they don't know Snape's true alliances. Can't wait to find out.
New User
ghostbuster
0 Kudos

Snape killed Dumbledore in HBP, there is no doubt in my mind that his intentions are evil. Remember, to use the avada kedavra curse you have to truly mean you want to kill the person.
New User
jms79
0 Kudos

I really hope snape isnt on the evil side. I know he plays an evil guy very well but still I would hope that he isnt as bad as he seems.
Contributor
HP_Fan
0 Kudos

ghostbuster wrote:
Snape killed Dumbledore in HBP, there is no doubt in my mind that his intentions are evil. Remember, to use the avada kedavra curse you have to truly mean you want to kill the person.

I think it was all part of a plan to get snape back "Inside" Voldemorts group.. I still think Snape is a good guy, we will have to wait until that last page though. :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
HarryPotter115
0 Kudos

I agree snape is still good. Well off to reading again.
New User
bandnerd123
0 Kudos

It could have been Dumbledoors plan for snape to kill him. This way snape would gain Voldermorts ultimite trust making it very easy for snape to pass info to the Order. Or somethings along thoes lines
Contributor
jmljasmine
0 Kudos

Snape is good. He couldn't save Charity. That would give away his position. He needs to hold that card for something bigger. I don't say that Snape is pure, by no means, but I do think he is ultimately on the side of the light. As for Dumbledore, he was in a position where he didn't have a choice but to kill him. I think Snape still had enough hate to pull on to cast the spell but I do think he was told to do it ahead of time by Dumbledore.
Frequent Contributor
LiveUrLife
0 Kudos

I'm still torn on deciding whether Snape is good or not. I do think that he's giving Voldemort the wrong information to save Harry. I think that he wants to be on the good side but he's too afraid of Voldemort to do anything drastic.
Frequent Contributor
joce14
0 Kudos

i still think snape is bad.he couldnt have saved charity cuz they just killed her for no apperent reason.
Jocelyn
Contributor
mermaidgirl
0 Kudos

I found it very interesting to see all of the Malfoy clan's reactions to having LV in their house. They are obviously rethinking their allegiance to LV, but are too afraid to do anything about it. Lucius is mute most of the chapter, and Narcissa and Draco are cowering and terrified. What comes around goes around!
Contributor
jmljasmine
0 Kudos

I wonder if the Malfoys will end up being killed, falling back in with LV, or being useful to the light... This certainly makes them a bit more complex and offers more possibilities then just blind loyalty to LV.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

We've watched those Malfoys go from being "King of the Hill" arrogant to cowering, humiliated pawns... can it get any lower???
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

pallavi054 wrote:
Yeah 1st to comment!

I think your right mate, I think Snape is giving false info.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
New User
drseals
0 Kudos

I'm torn about Snape, but since he did kill Dumbledore, I think he really might be truly evil...and the SNAKE!!!! YIKES! I shuttered at the end of this chapter. ICK!
Contributor
mermaidgirl
0 Kudos

drseals wrote:
...and the SNAKE!!!! YIKES! I shuttered at the end of this chapter. ICK!

I didn't remember Nagini to be that big!!!
New User
sbugarin
0 Kudos

I too, want to believe Snape is good, but I have doubt.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I don't know about Snape because I get the feeling he is trying to be netural. Giving enough help and information to each side so that whoever wins he survives. Because he has done enough that he is useful to either side. What really suprised me was the Dursley family reaction.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

Yeah, and I don't get this. Lucius has always been such a bad guy, why all of a sudden does he seem not to be on Voldemort's side? I understand Draco's reactions, but not his parents.

mermaidgirl wrote:
I found it very interesting to see all of the Malfoy clan's reactions to having LV in their house. They are obviously rethinking their allegiance to LV, but are too afraid to do anything about it. Lucius is mute most of the chapter, and Narcissa and Draco are cowering and terrified. What comes around goes around!

"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 632 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: