Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the First Chapter

Wildflower wrote:
Yeah, and I don't get this. Lucius has always been such a bad guy, why all of a sudden does he seem not to be on Voldemort's side? I understand Draco's reactions, but not his parents.

Lucius had fallen out of favor with Voldemort. Voldy was still angry at him for screwing up the Ministry caper and had just broken him out of Azkaban seemingly for the sole purpose of subjecting him to peer humiliation. Malfoy was stripped of all his power over others and had to act subservient lest the Dark Lord hurt his wife and son. This was an incredible come down from his former high status. He was now just a pawn, a servant, and a humiliated one at that. The only thing keeping Malfoy there right then was fear.
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

Who is Yaxley?????????????????????????
Have we seen him before???????
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
I don't know about Snape because I get the feeling he is trying to be netural. Giving enough help and information to each side so that whoever wins he survives. Because he has done enough that he is useful to either side. What really suprised me was the Dursley family reaction.

Toni

I wonder how Snape knew about any plans now. He is obviously not trusted by an Members of the Phoenix--unless there is another informant there.
Contributor
xoxocutiexoxo
0 Kudos

I think.... Snape is trying to give wrong information to Voldermort because he's on Harry Potters side but he cant stop the death of the ppl Voldermort is killing cuz lyk he doesnt want Voldermort to know... so he can actually b a type of spy and if he shows he is in HPz side noone will believe him anyway.....
..::ME::..
Contributor
xoxocutiexoxo
0 Kudos

i dont think the Malfoys will die.. hope not lolzz
..::ME::..
Contributor
stellaa37
0 Kudos

I know it says you must mean it with "avada kedavra" But Snape knew he had to use this curse in case "voldemort" check his wand? whatcha think?
Stella
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
-Professor Dumbledore
New User
yaowsers
0 Kudos

i agree with you! i hate bellatrix...can't she get it in her head that voldemort will NEVER choose her for a mate? lol...can you just see them going out?
New User
claire_bear_12
0 Kudos

I agree that Snape is evil and good- I'm not sure which one quite yet.
I only read the first chapter online- my dad is getting me and my sister the book tonight!!!!!
"Not good- brilliant!"-Ron Weasley, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
New User
claire_bear_12
0 Kudos

xoxocutiexoxo wrote:
I think.... Snape is trying to give wrong information to Voldermort because he's on Harry Potters side but he cant stop the death of the ppl Voldermort is killing cuz lyk he doesnt want Voldermort to know... so he can actually b a type of spy and if he shows he is in HPz side noone will believe him anyway.....

I don't know really if Snape is good or not
New User
claire_bear_12
0 Kudos

yaowsers wrote:
i agree with you! i hate bellatrix...can't she get it in her head that voldemort will NEVER choose her for a mate? lol...can you just see them going out?

Voldemort lacks one thing Harry and the other people have- friends and love.
He'll never know love. So Bellatrix is wasting her time.
Contributor
Aphrael27
0 Kudos

My first thoughts:

- It was nice to see Snape on the very first page. He's the character everyone is most curious about. So for right now, he's with the Death Eaters, although I still want to believe he's a good guy.

- So this is Malfoy Manor. Nice place. And I love white peacocks, they are so beautiful! I'll bet that was Narcissa's idea.

- The unconscious (possibly dead) body suspended from the table - one of the creepiest things in these books yet. My first guess was that it was Draco - did anyone else think that at first? After all, he failed his mission. Just because Snape completed it for him does not erase the fact that Draco couldn't do it.

- Lucius and Narcissa are both acting weird. And Draco is sitting with them, so he's not the body - whew! I feel bad for Draco. I don't think he fully understood what serving Voldemort would mean and now he's stuck there, or risk being killed or watching his family be killed.

- Bella loves Voldy! Enough to agree to kill her sister Andromeda at her first chance. Ugh, I can't stand her!

- Charity Burbage - the Muggle Studies teacher. Voldemort definately wouldn't like that, would he. She's begging her fellow teacher to save her. I wonder if Snape felt any compassion for her at all, just couldn't show it. And to be fed to a snake - eewwww! That's a bad way to go!

Overview: I thought it was a bit weird to begin the story with Voldemort. Makes it very ominous, doesn't it?
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

BillP wrote:
This thread is for discussion of Chapter 1 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you wish to discuss events from later in the book, please post in the appropriate thread below.

Spoiler Warning: If you have not read past Chapter 1, this thread may contain plot spoilers.

A few things surprised me:

The two quotes at the beginning of the novel set the stage for what was coming in the very first chapter. The fact that children were involved and that the spirit lives on. Both possibly placed to soften some of the events to follow. And lo and behold, the first chapter features he who shall not be named.

The first death occurs and Snape is at the table. I am not so sure about Snape any longer; having been involved in Dumbledore's death and being so close to V..makes me uneasy. But then Rawlings has made people not always what they seem in this novel with some strange twists in their personalities or what we thought they were like.

We also learn that there are double agents in the Ministry of Magic and there are many informants. One of the major surprises was the reaction of the Malfoys. They seem mighty uneasy about having he who shall not be named taking over residence in their home. Bellatrix acts as abominably as always and thinks that V will favor her and be her mate...V is not capable of love or redemption (at least not from what we can see in Chapter One.)
New User
Poetic_Injustice
0 Kudos

im still unconvinced i mean there where chances snape could have easily gotten to harry so that makes him look like a good guy pretending to be evil....but he did tell voldermort that harry was leaving that night and not later on like yaxley belived...so im not sure
New User
firebear369
0 Kudos

jmljasmine wrote:
Snape is good. He couldn't save Charity. That would give away his position. He needs to hold that card for something bigger. I don't say that Snape is pure, by no means, but I do think he is ultimately on the side of the light. As for Dumbledore, he was in a position where he didn't have a choice but to kill him. I think Snape still had enough hate to pull on to cast the spell but I do think he was told to do it ahead of time by Dumbledore.

I have to agree. The impending battle is for all the marbles and the kid gloves has to come off. Sadly, that means that some wicked things might need to be done by those who wish to win, good or bad.
...soon we must choose between what is right and what is easy....
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

I think one of the things that really stood out to me in this chapter is some thing that nobody has even mentioned yet. TONKS AND LUPIN GOT MARRIED!!! WOO HOO!!!
I must admit when they first mentioned the person hanging upside-down over the table I thought it would be Lucius, because Draco seemed to be looking up more than anyone else and Lucius wasn't mentioned as being among the group for several more pages.
I am also hopping for good Snape but from that chapter I am not encouraged.

narnianmum
Contributor
Nimabu
0 Kudos

I didn't really like this Chapter. I'm hoping, as others, that Snape is some sort of mole and he will be good in the end. It's been so long since I read the other books that I've forgotten some of the details. The whole snake eating the body was a bit gruesome.
Frequent Contributor
eve05
0 Kudos

What a creepy chapter.

A lot of questions came to mind. Perhaps questions have occurred to you also.
I've written mine down, please add yours, if you wish.

Voldemort has taken over Lucius's house and called a meeting of DE's to plan how to trap and kill Harry. There's a prisoner crying in pain in the basement. And a Hogwart's Professor bound hopelessly over the table who futilely begs Snape for help but is dumped on the table and devoured by a snake while everyone watches. Eeeek!

Snape is now the acknowledged favorite, seated at Voldemort's right hand.
He tells Voldemort that Harry will be moved from the Dursley house to new safe place on Sat next. Voldemort asks him the source of this information Snape replies"---from the source we discussed"
question1: who/what is this source... the Order?
question2: Is Snape really betraying Harry? or is there some extenuating circumstance to explain his behavior? (I'm in the 'Snape is not evil' camp.)
Voldemort says he now knows he must be the one to kill Harry.
question3: How has he learned this? Only DD and Harry know the contents of the prophesy.
question:4 Who is the poor prisoner in the basement? Has he/she divulged important information?
Voldemort humiliates Lucius further by relieving him of his wand.
question:5 Why? and how did Lucius get out of Azkaban?
Voldemort orders Bella to "prune" her family tree i.e. dispose of Tonks.
question:6 If Snape is not evil, will he manage to warn Lupin/Tonks to go into hiding?

These are some of the questions that came up as I read (and reread) the first Chapter. Any thoughts about them?
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

At first I was sure the hanging body was Lucius Malfoy (hedn't we been told how angry LV is w. him?)

Poor Charity. :smileysad:

I don't see any reason to change my mind abt Snape being good from this chapter; he seemed to be doing occlumancy when LV directs his attention to her; a sign that he's, maybe, covering a wish that he could help?
Contributor
Loverbook
0 Kudos

I think Snape is on the good side, however, could it be possible that he may be struggling between being good or evil?
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 217 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: