Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome!

eve05 wrote:

ConnieK wrote:
Hello, all!

I'm back on the boards after my long fast, slow read. I'm a slow reader, even when trying to read fast! I'll be catching up with discussion this morning. Take all the time you need on this board, going chapter by chapter. That's what this board is about.

~ConnieK

I'm a slow reader also, I'm glad I'm not alone. I want to savor and understand what is happening and test my theories as I read along.
I read the first six chapters and then started again from the beginning!
There is so much happening in all those little details Jo throws in. This is the last book and I want to let the enjoyment of reading a chapter for the first time only after I've drained as much as I can from what I've read in the previous chapters. Does that make sense to you all? Or am I being a bit of a nutter?

Not at all. I'm with you. I started rushing through the book because I felt so much pressure to get through it before somebody let something slip. I really regret that and felt like I was missing so much, There is only the unfolding mystery this first time through and the second time won't be quite the same. So I'm slowing down and I think I will go back and begin again before I know the end so I can spend more time thinking about it and picking up all those little clues. I really admire JKR's craft in putting together such an intricate series. This book is shaping up, at least for me, as the best of the series.
Contributor
narnianmum
0 Kudos

hello

Hello all,
I'm narnianmum. Named such because I have three little boys all named after characters from the Chronicles of Narnia (Caspian, Emeth, & Cornelius).
I'm being forced to take my reading slow this time around. I've read each of the books out loud to my husband. In the past I've read the book to myself first but he would get annoyed when I would start saying, "Oh Oh Oh this part is so good!!!" so I'm not aloud to read ahead. We got as far as ch 22 last night and he gets home from work in about 10 minutes!!! YEY!!!

happy reading,
narnianmum
Contributor
Nimabu
0 Kudos

Got the book on Saturday and I started it last night. My plan is to read a little and post. Happy reading everyone!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, new readers! Take your time with the book, and enJOY!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Loverbook
0 Kudos

I will read along and be part of the discussion as I read along. Loverbook
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome to the "quiet reading room," Loverbook! Enjoy your chapter-by-chapter discussion.

~ConnieK

Loverbook wrote:
I will read along and be part of the discussion as I read along. Loverbook

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
nessa
0 Kudos

Is it just me or has the thread for chapter 21 disappeared?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Why are these threads constantly losing memory of what I've read before? Does that happen whenever a moderator has to remove a posting?
Nadine
0 Kudos

nessa wrote:
Is it just me or has the thread for chapter 21 disappeared?

Chapter 21 isn't on my list of headers either but it will be awhile until I'm there. I thought there might be a second page and it was out of sequence but that isn't so as well.
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

I wasn't aware of that as a possible effect of posts having to be moved, but we're looking into it.

Psychee wrote:
Why are these threads constantly losing memory of what I've read before? Does that happen whenever a moderator has to remove a posting?

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bill_T wrote:
I wasn't aware of that as a possible effect of posts having to be moved, but we're looking into it.

Psychee wrote:

I just came on to the board this morning and suddenly everything I read is unread. However, Chapter 21 is there and it looks like it has been there all along since some people have posted to it but unseen by some of us. This board is behaving strangely.

Message Edited by Nadine on 07-26-2007 12:22 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Bill_T wrote:

Psychee wrote:

I just came on to the board this morning and suddenly everything I read is unread. However, Chapter 21 is there and it looks like it has been there all along since some people have posted to it but unseen by some of us. This board is behaving strangely.

Message Edited by Nadine on 07-26-2007 12:22 PM

Same here... Chapters 1-20 all appear unread again.
Contributor
Phebemarie
0 Kudos

This is a silly question. For anyone who's visited the Ministry of Spoilers board, are the thread titles "safe"? I'm so tempted to visit, but I'm so close to the end of the book and don't want to be spoiled.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hi Phebemarie,

They aren't safe! Resist unless you're ready for spoilers!

Rachel
Contributor
Phebemarie
0 Kudos

Thanks, Rachel.
Frequent Contributor
Glassslipper
0 Kudos

Hi - I have read the book and it was marvelous. I would not chance reading anything onto he internet or listen to anything on television or speak with anyone about the book until I read it. It was delivered to my home - very late!!! I received the book at 4:00 PM on the 21st of July and finished Monday morning before work. I look forward to being an active member of the book club.
Avid Book reader
Contributor
Lupingirl
0 Kudos

Glassslipper wrote:
Hi - I have read the book and it was marvelous. I would not chance reading anything onto he internet or listen to anything on television or speak with anyone about the book until I read it. It was delivered to my home - very late!!! I received the book at 4:00 PM on the 21st of July and finished Monday morning before work. I look forward to being an active member of the book club.

I am with you. I stood in line for it, and finished it before I went online again, not wanting to be spoiled. I have been so excited about this book because I have wanted the answers on a certain double agent - just like everyone else in the wizarding world!

I will not spoil things for anyone else here, but I have to say I inadvertently spoiled one small thing for my room mates girl friend because he asked me a question in front of her. I didn't know she was planning to read it because they have both made fun of me for being a Harry Potter fan. Oh well, I almost feel she got what she deserved, but I wouldn't have done it purposely!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Glassslipper and Lupingirl--You might want to go to the other Harry Potter Book Club on B&N.com--"The Ministry of Spoilers." There you can talk about anything from the book without worrying about spoiling it for other readers. This board is for those who are reading and discussing chapter by chapter.

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
HarryIsMyHomeboy
0 Kudos

Just a quick question - what happened to the discussions of chapters 33-36?
Psychee
0 Kudos

HarryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Just a quick question - what happened to the discussions of chapters 33-36?

I think those threads must have apparated somewhere... lol... :smileyhappy:
Users Online
Currently online: 77 members 1,180 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: