Frequent Contributor
mamiesmith
0 Kudos

Are There Commonalities Between Islam and Christianity?

For someone who absolutely had no interest in Islam, I was astounded to learn that there ARE commonalities in these two religions.  I also did not know that Islam is the second largest religion in the world.  Christianity is the first.  One day, a light bulb went off in my head, and I decided to investigate the Islamic religion.  I have not even scratched the surface yet, but what I have found out suggests that I should learn more.  How would you answer the question above?  Share your commonalities with us.  Check-out the few that I have discovered!

http://theunfoldingofarose.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
0 Kudos

Re: Are There Commonalities Between Islam and Christianity?

[ Edited ]

To save space it'd be easier to list what Islam and Christianity DON'T have in common :smileyhappy: Islam was started to be a religion worshipping the same God as Judaism and Christianity, but written specifically for the Arab community who until then had felt disenfranchised by the other religious texts that spoke about other ethnic groups. In fact, for some time, it was apparently against the law to convert a non-Arab to Islam.

In terms of commonailities: many of the Bible stories are repeated in the Koran. They both believe in Jesus, although Jesus is only a prophet in Islam, not a manifestation of God. They're both monotheistic. Both  consider Jerusalem the most holy city. The two religions have affected each other's theological and philosophical ideas since Islam was founded. 

As I said, it might be easier to list the ways in which they are different than try to point to every way in which they are similar.

Message Edited by Joseph_F on 06-22-2009 05:42 PM
Frequent Contributor
mamiesmith
0 Kudos

Thanks Joseph for the insightfulness.  I will continue my search.   However, I chose commonalities instead of differences because my goal is to bring about in my own thought, the unity of humanity.  Differences seem to have more of a negative connotation--division, separation.  I believe that there is a common thread that draws us together--and when we find it, there will be more peace in the world. 
Contributor
Texas-Buckeye
0 Kudos

Be very careful in looking for commonalities to the exclusion of differences.  This can lead to a very grave misunderstanding of the two religions.  For example, there are many stories in the Koran and the Bible that appear similar on the surface but are vastly different in meaning.  In the Bible in Genesis it is Isaac whom Abraham is called upon to sacrifice, but in the Koran it is Ishmael.  Islam believes that they have the true and final interpretation of the revelation of God and that the Bible and Torah are corruptions of the truth.

Another example is that while they worship the same God, the means of salvation is vastly different.  For orthodox Christianity we acheive our salvation through the grace of God in the atoning work of Jesus Christ.  Islam has a more works based view.

In summary, be careful of trying to only look at similarities as even here there are many hidden differences between the two religions.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

In the Bible in Genesis it is Isaac whom Abraham is called upon to sacrifice, but in the Koran it is Ishmael. 

This is the expanation with Muslims give about this (which seems reasonable enough):

'The conflict between the Jews and Christians, and the Muslims, is much more serious than disagreeing on a story.  The Jews and Christians believe that any son or daughter born from a Servant or Slave woman is not considered a biological son or daughter.  Muslims on the other hand, believe that any son or daughter born from any mother is a biological son or daughter.  Not only that, but the slave woman instantly becomes free.  Jews, Christians and Muslims all agree that Ishmael  was 13 years older than Isaac.  This means that the Muslims' claim is much closer to the Truth than the Jews' and Christians', because if we were to believe that Abraham offered Isaac for sacrifice to God Almighty, then he would've waited at least 13 years to do so if not even longer.'

Islam believes that they have the true and final interpretation of the revelation of God and that the Bible and Torah are corruptions of the truth.

Both Jews and Christians believe their holy books are the 'truth' too.   

In summary, be careful of trying to only look at similarities as even here there are many hidden differences between the two religions.

Looking at similarities might perhaps reduce the areas of conflict between the two (three) religions and help people to understand each other better.   Just as different branches of the church have become more ecumenical in their approach to the christian religion in recent years, so can attitudes to different religions become more ecumenical.  This is what Karen Armstrong's Charter for Compassion is all about.          

Texas-Buckeye wrote:

Be very careful in looking for commonalities to the exclusion of differences.  This can lead to a very grave misunderstanding of the two religions.  For example, there are many stories in the Koran and the Bible that appear similar on the surface but are vastly different in meaning.  In the Bible in Genesis it is Isaac whom Abraham is called upon to sacrifice, but in the Koran it is Ishmael.  Islam believes that they have the true and final interpretation of the revelation of God and that the Bible and Torah are corruptions of the truth.

Another example is that while they worship the same God, the means of salvation is vastly different.  For orthodox Christianity we acheive our salvation through the grace of God in the atoning work of Jesus Christ.  Islam has a more works based view.