Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
StarChaserNX
0 Kudos

Re: Do have a favorite verse in the Bible?

One of my favorite verses is found in Proverbs 17:28, this verse is very pratical and good for a bit of a laugh (yes, one can find humor in God's word). 

I'm not going to write it out, you'll have to look it up yourself.  I will say this though, that many a politician would be wise to read and follow this verse. 

Everyone is normal... until you get to know them.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Proverbs 17:28 NRSV

Okay, give us a break, StarChaser.  I won't spoil your fun by quoting the verse, but at least here is a link to one version of the verse without having to both remember and go searching for the hard text.  (I actually looked up verse 18 first.)

StarChaserNX wrote:

One of my favorite verses is found in Proverbs 17:28, this verse is very pratical and good for a bit of a laugh (yes, one can find humor in God's word). 

I'm not going to write it out, you'll have to look it up yourself.  I will say this though, that many a politician would be wise to read and follow this verse. 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
StarChaserNX
0 Kudos

Whenever it is possible, I never write down a Bible verse, only the book it is in and its chapter and verse.  It is important for one to look at the verse themselves, see the surrounding verses (so one can put it in context), and make any notes in their Bible they may need. I also believe it is more rewarding this way. 

Peppermill wrote:

Okay, give us a break, StarChaser.  I won't spoil your fun by quoting the verse, but at least here is a link to one version of the verse without having to both remember and go searching for the hard text.  (I actually looked up verse 18 first.)

StarChaserNX wrote:

Everyone is normal... until you get to know them.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I guessed such might be behind your thinking, Starchaser, and it is a lovely idea, but many of us read these at our computers, may go on to other threads, and may have our Bibles in another room or even upstairs or downstairs, so will never even make any connection at all.  It is for the likes of us that I plead this case.

Pepper

StarChaserNX wrote:
Whenever it is possible, I never write down a Bible verse, only the book it is in and its chapter and verse.  It is important for one to look at the verse themselves, see the surrounding verses (so one can put it in context), and make any notes in their Bible they may need. I also believe it is more rewarding this way. 

Peppermill wrote:

StarChaserNX wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
susiet59
0 Kudos

My  favorite:  Isahia 40:31  But for those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; Thy shall mount up with wings and soar like eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint.

Life hands you great joy.  You are so happy an delighted because you have accomplished something you think is wonderful.  In our day to day existance stess allows us to run and not be weary.  When trouble finds you we have a promise that the Lord shall walk with us, hold us up and promises we shall walk and not faint.  All the emotions in our life time are packed in this scripture.

I have buried 3 husbands, God has walked with me and held me upright.  While upright I have received good news and awful news.  God  walks with me every day.  I am prepared for anything that may come along everyday.  God wil hold me up. 

New User
mary_jessie
0 Kudos

Luke 12:4-7

4"I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. 6Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. 7Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

This has always been my favorite because when I got frustrated I would asked God for the care He gave the sparrows, or ask for my life to be that simple because I didn't think I could handle much more than that. It seems sort of foolish, but its helped me put things into perspective.

Contributor
westroxel
0 Kudos

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter Fear God and keep his commandments For this is the whole [duty] of man For every deed will be brought into judgment including every hidden thing whether it is good or evil
-----------------------
"The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough." - Bede Jarrett

"Be angry and do not sin." - David, quoted by Paul of Tarsus
New User
Cassie13
0 Kudos

I love a lot of verses but these 3 have to be some of my all time favorites:

Proverbs 4:23 --> Above all else, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life!"

1 Timothy 4:12 --> "Do not let anyone treat you as if you are unimportant because you are young. Instead, be an example to the believers with your words, your actions, your love, your faith, and your pure life."

This has quickly become what i strive to do in life and is the basis of many of my decisions. I love this verse

1 Corinthians 13 --> I love this entire chapter so I won't write it all down but it is definitely worth looking up! It was the first verse I ever really analyzed on my own and it is extremely important to me. It talks about what love is and gets to the core of it. Paul is a great writer