Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever

Do have a favorite verse in the Bible?

When I was at a youth group a while back their was this college intern helping out. During the worship time our youth pastor gave us the opportunity to talk with one of the interns if we chose to. Her name was Kim and I decided that I wanted to sit with her. I sat down next to her and started thinking about how stressed I was becoming with life, school, friends, family, everything. I just didn't know how to look at life with a positive attitude and suddenly she turned to me and said, "I don't know whether this means much to you, but I have this verse running through my head and I feel you should hear it. It's  John 14:27. It says 'Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.' "

I let the words sink in and my jaw dropped when it hit me that I hadn't actually told her what all had been bugging me. It was amazing that of all the verses she could have recited--I mean, she could have recited John 3:16 if she'd wanted--she picked one that had to do with peace and calm. If I had never experienced God before, it was in that moment that I saw how he had his hand in my life. It was like a sign that he was there for me and was telling me not to worry.

Ever since then that has been my favorite verse because it came at the most perfect time and it's even better in these struggling times with the economy. I look to that verse so often just to remind myself to slow down and forget my problems for a little while. 

Does anyone have a verse like that? Or a verse that just has special meaning to you?

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Wordsmith
twilightfann

Re: Do have a favorite verse in the Bible?

My favorite verse is from the Book of Ecclesiastes :

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven :

A time to be born, and a time to die;

a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;

a time to kill, and a time to heal;

a time to break down, and a time to build up;

a time to weep, and a time to laugh;

a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;

a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

a time to tear, and a time to sew;

a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

a time to love, and a time to hate;

a time for war, and a time for peace.

I read this passage at my aunt's funeral this past January, and when I read it the message just really struck me. I realized that God really does give everything its certain time, and it made me come to the conclusion that it was my aunt's turn to die. I also realized that it is okay to spend time to mourn, and time to laugh. Before I read this I thought my aunt just left me, but then I realized that God took her away on purpose since she was so sick. I just think this passage is really pretty and it has a good message. To me, the message is that there is a certain time for everything, and that everything happens for a reason.

The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

twilightfann wrote:

My favorite verse is from the Book of Ecclesiastes :

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven :

A time to be born, and a time to die;

a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;

a time to kill, and a time to heal;

a time to break down, and a time to build up;

a time to weep, and a time to laugh;

a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;

a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

a time to tear, and a time to sew;

a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

a time to love, and a time to hate;

a time for war, and a time for peace.

I read this passage at my aunt's funeral this past January, and when I read it the message just really struck me. I realized that God really does give everything its certain time, and it made me come to the conclusion that it was my aunt's turn to die. I also realized that it is okay to spend time to mourn, and time to laugh. Before I read this I thought my aunt just left me, but then I realized that God took her away on purpose since she was so sick. I just think this passage is really pretty and it has a good message. To me, the message is that there is a certain time for everything, and that everything happens for a reason.

How true, how true...

I'm sorry about your aunt. But I'm glad that the verse speaks to you and helped you through that. That verse is wonderful for when you're dealing with pain because it tells you it's okay to be sad. I know people that will tell you not to cry because we should be happy through the sadness and bitter reality of life and death, but the truth is God says that we should allow ourselves to cry once in a while. It shows we have feeling.

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Wordsmith
twilightfann
0 Kudos

Thank you. I'll be honest - I've never really read the bible a lot before, but now that I'm about to be confirmed, I've been reading it more often. Most of the passages in it are truly uplifting, and it's nice to know more about my religion.
The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill

twilightfann wrote:
Thank you. I'll be honest - I've never really read the bible a lot before, but now that I'm about to be confirmed, I've been reading it more often. Most of the passages in it are truly uplifting, and it's nice to know more about my religion.

Just reading the very human stories as God and his people interact can be as intriguing as any novel -- and quite surprising.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Just reading the very human stories as God and his people interact can be as intriguing as any novel -- and quite surprising.

It can definitely be amazing.

Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F

One verse I enjoy greatly has nothing to do with the actual content of the verse, but the beauty of the language. It's Ruth 1:16-17, where she says the bit about "your people shall be my people, your God shall be my God." Some consider this the first recorded conversion to Judaism. I would say it's actually a conversion to the Israelite religion, which is a different thing. In any case, the language used is rather extraordinary in a way that can't be seen in any of the English versions.

To understand how, you have to understand two things about Hebrew:

1. There isn't really any word for our words "is" or "are". Or there are, but they aren't used regularly. If you want to say "David is king" you say simply "David king" and the "is" is implied. Here we can see another reason why the accuracy of Biblical translation is very difficult. If you see the words "David king" does it mean "King David" "David is king" or "David ruled", all of which could be possible meanings.

2. Possessives in Hebrew are combined into the words. "My horse" would simply be, if I'm remembering this right, "soosi" the "soos" being the word horse and the "i" being the word my.

So these phrases your God will be my God, your people will be my people, are written in Hebrew as a series of pared phrases, two words each. "My people will be your people" is simply "ami amcha" for instance (literally "my people your people"). The power to express so much meaning in so few words has always amazed me.

Contributor
EcclecticReader
0 Kudos

Version: KJV

James 4:7-8

7. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse [your] hands, [ye] sinners; and purify [your] hearts, [ye] double minded.

This verse helped me a lot when I was going through tough times.  It is also very contraversial so it might mean something different to me than it does to other people. 

New User
MidMorning_Thrasher

Romans 12:2 (NKJV)

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Contributor
EcclecticReader
0 Kudos

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

I totally agree. Love that verse.

Personally, it can be hard for me to remember at times, but it's sort of the number one rule for life.

Reader 4
Thomas_de_Novan
0 Kudos

This is the verse I had engraved on my Bible:

Preserve my life and rescue me; do not let me be disgraced, for I trust in You.

--Psalm 25:20

I came across it while I was in Basic Training in the Army. It was definately appropriate at the time; but then, so were a lot of verses. It's funny, though, that no matter what mood you are in or whatever you may be going through in your life, there are hundreds of verses that are uplifting and inspiring for the situation.

When I bought a Bible for my Godson I had Matthew 19:14 engraved on it.

Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.

--Matthew 19:14 or Mark 10:14 or Luke 18:16

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

This one must be a favorite of mine, because it seems to pop into my head when I wake up every morning:

This is the day which the Lord hath made;

we will rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118: 24

Another that comes to mind often:

The LORD is good,

a strong hold in the day of trouble;

and he knoweth them that trust in him.

-Nahum 1:7

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
New User
thirsting_for_knowledge
0 Kudos

My favorite Bible verses have to be Proverbs 3:5-8:

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.

These verses were taken from the only Bible I read, the KJV.

New User
Mantheprince
0 Kudos

With a kiss you betray the son of man.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

“God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him” (1 Jn 4:16).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

my favorite chapter in the bible is Psalms 118

but my favorite verses are:

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to me and i will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

Proverbs 19:23 "the fear of the Lord leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble."

Message Edited by torusthetiger on 07-20-2009 02:59 PM
"but why's she got to go to the library?" -Harry
"because that's what Hermione does........When in doubt, go to the library." -Ron (chamber of secrets)
Contributor
iheartvolleyball_21
0 Kudos

Hey... I am new on here... But yes I have a fav verse(: One day I was in a really bad mood while I was at my grandma's house.. I was real little so I actually start walkin down the road.. I don't get far b4 i turn back... When I go back my Grandma had nothing to say really(shocker) But she did say a verse and I hav remembered it ever since and I try to live by it and be happy... It is Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it(: Haha... ok... God bless:smileyhappy:

Everybody's different so everybody's the same-J.M.
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

My favorite verse is Matthew 6:34

"Do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own troubles." 

I read this one morning when I was having my daily devotions and it really stuck me, for I've always been a worrier..always been afraid of tomorrow..

http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
New User
Lima_Bean
0 Kudos

There are several that I think of time and time again, but here's one:

Jeremiah 31:3

"the Lord appears to him from afar:

With age-old love I have loved you; so I have kept my mercy towards you."

I love this one because this one sentence says so much.  "With an age old love I have loved you," He says, and I am reminded that I will never in this lifetime know how long he has loved me, or how strong his love truly is.  I think about those I love in my life, and those I love so deeply I cannot imagine what it would be like to live without them, and yet I know His love is far greater than even this.  My love that is full of imperfections and doubt, has caused me to risk and give my all in the past..yet His love which is perfect and without limits far surpasses anything my mind or heart could ever contain or comprehend.  And this love is mine..it belongs to me, and to all of us who take Christ into our lives.  Then He says, "so I have kept my mercy towards you," and I'm reminded at how merciful he actually has been in the past, and will in the future- because without fail I will sin again.  And it is this love that unites us and holds us together..that no sin could keep us apart.