Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

Re: Featured Books for May

I've just ordered Karen Armstrong's book and expect it in soon.  Did anyone see her on NOW with Bill Moyers recently?

Redcatlady

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Here is one set of discussion questions on the web for The Shack .
Here is another set, with some bits of discussion, posted by Jenny Reilly at the Salem United Methodist Church, Denver, NC.
Message Edited by Peppermill on 04-24-2009 01:24 PM
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill

Here is a site with a review of The Shack by Derek Keefe in Christianity Today on-line magazine. Below is one of Keefe's comments that seems relevant as we start our discussion here:

"Yet in order to give a work a fair hearing, we have an obligation to engage it on its own terms. A 'good faith' reading of The Shack involves, among other things, attending to Young's reasons for writing, his intended audience, and its particular literary form. "

There are additional links to other reviews at the end of his article, including a US News Report story.

I learned about this review via study guides offered by The Thoughtful Christian. As far as I can tell, the guides are only available for a fee that allows their use for a study group.  I will say, however, that, with a quick review of them this afternoon, they each seem pretty well written in a balanced and fair sort of way.  The description below of one seems fair and appropriate; the other summarizes the book itself for someone wanting to know about all the fuss but unwilling or unable to make the investment in time to read the book itself.

"This study is the result of requests from Christians who would like to use the book as a jumping off point to examine their own understanding of and relationship with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit; from Christians who would like to refute the theology presented in The Shack; and from Christians who would rather not read the book, but would like to know enough about it to respond to its overwhelming presence."

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Here is a site with a review of The Shack by Derek Keefe in Christianity Today on-line magazine. Below is one of Keefe's comments that seems relevant as we start our discussion here:

"Yet in order to give a work a fair hearing, we have an obligation to engage it on its own terms. A 'good faith' reading of The Shack involves, among other things, attending to Young's reasons for writing, his intended audience, and its particular literary form. "

I agree.  I was surprised to learn from the book's website, theshackbook.com, after I had completed the book, that according to the author, "The Shack was a story written for my six children, with no thought or intention to publish.  It is as much a surprise to me as to anyone else that I am now an ‘author’."

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

As Karen Armstrong is a former nun, folks here might like to listen to the BBC Radio 4 broadcast about why some British nuns left their orders following the Vatican Reform in 1965, which forced some of them to abandon a life of seclusion.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

...and from Christians who would rather not read the book, but would like to know enough about it to respond to its overwhelming presence."

What does this mean P?

Peppermill wrote:

There are additional links to other reviews at the end of his article, including a US News Report story.

I learned about this review via study guides offered by The Thoughtful Christian. As far as I can tell, the guides are only available for a fee that allows their use for a study group.  I will say, however, that, with a quick review of them this afternoon, they each seem pretty well written in a balanced and fair sort of way.  The description below of one seems fair and appropriate; the other summarizes the book itself for someone wanting to know about all the fuss but unwilling or unable to make the investment in time to read the book itself.

"This study is the result of requests from Christians who would like to use the book as a jumping off point to examine their own understanding of and relationship with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit; from Christians who would like to refute the theology presented in The Shack; and from Christians who would rather not read the book, but would like to know enough about it to respond to its overwhelming presence."

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Choisya -- short answer -- its long and unexpected best seller status.  But also because The Shack seems to be being very widely discussed -- often by people who are moved by it or by people who disagree strongly with it.  This particular guide (from The Thoughtful Christian) does seem to take the middle ground more than some other things I have seen or even the reviews that are linked at the end of Derek Keefe's article.

Choisya wrote:

...and from Christians who would rather not read the book, but would like to know enough about it to respond to its overwhelming presence."

What does this mean P?

Peppermill wrote: