Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Adelle

Re: God's Hangout

I would like to add that from my perspective, it was disheartening to see posters simply being told that their thinking was wrong---Counterposters often did not try to persuade them to view the reading differently...they simply TOLD the poster that their thinking was wrong.   

Also, sometimes posters did not write along the lines: "I think KA is saying this or that."    Instead, they sometimes wrote: "KA is saying this or that."  

The whole point of reading the book is to try to come to our own understandings of what she wrote...or to be persuaded to another person's point of view.    But absolutely not to be told what to think or to be told how to interpret KA's book.

Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My apologies to those who feel like they lack the freedom to discuss. Obviously, free discussion is my main priority. However, with a subject as touchy as this, I have to be very careful to make sure that discussions do not become ugly or personal. In general, I also will try to keep a discussion from going in circles around the same disagreement or from straying too far from the thread's topic. These are the only times where I might step in and redirect discussion as a moderator.

Obviously as a poster, I might disagree with people's opinions or versions of the truth, but when I disagree I am not doing so as a moderator unless I make it clear that I am doing so. I like being able to discuss things too :smileyhappy:

Some of the more difficult moderator decisions that I feel these comments might be related towards involved a particular poster who multiple moderators believe was more interested in causing trouble and dissention than having any honest discussion, but all of that should not be a problem anymore. I look forward to more open discussions with you all, and apologize if any of my decisions seem inappropriate in the future. It's all very subjective, and you're all welcome to PM with any questions or concerns at any time.

Message Edited by Joseph_F on 06-03-2009 11:17 AM
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks for explaining this Joseph - I look forward to your further contributions to the discussion, which seems to have hit the doldrums, perhaps because it is now summer and folks are on vacation or in their gardens:smileyhappy:.

Joseph_F wrote:

My apologies to those who feel like they lack the freedom to discuss. Obviously, free discussion is my main priority. However, with a subject as touchy as this, I have to be very careful to make sure that discussions do not become ugly or personal. In general, I also will try to keep a discussion from going in circles around the same disagreement or from straying too far from the thread's topic. These are the only times where I might step in and redirect discussion as a moderator.

Obviously as a poster, I might disagree with people's opinions or versions of the truth, but when I disagree I am not doing so as a moderator unless I make it clear that I am doing so. I like being able to discuss things too :smileyhappy:

Some of the more difficult moderator decisions that I feel these comments might be related towards involved a particular poster who multiple moderators believe was more interested in causing trouble and dissention than having any honest discussion, but all of that should not be a problem anymore. I look forward to more open discussions with you all, and apologize if any of my decisions seem inappropriate in the future. It's all very subjective, and you're all welcome to PM with any questions or concerns at any time.

Message Edited by Joseph_F on 06-03-2009 11:17 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Laurels.

[ Edited ]

I was upset to notice that I have been awarded quite a lot of laurels on these threads and that my 'status' has changed from Frequent Contributor.  Could I please reiterate my request that folks do NOT award me laurels and restate that I will not be awarding any but will post 'thankyous' where appropriate.  I would also be grateful if the Moderators could put my status' back to Frequent Contributor.     Thankyou. 

Message Edited by Choisya on 06-05-2009 06:17 AM
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: TWO 'RELIGIOUS' QUIZZES. .

How much do you know about Saints in Literature?

Or about catholic writers?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Festival of Abraham

Peter Arkle

"Here’s something that could never have happened in the Naughts but will maybe be possible in the Tweens or Teens — if there’s a breakthrough in the Mideast peace process. The idea is an arts festival that celebrates the origin of the three Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Every year it could be held in a different location; Jerusalem would obviously be the best place to start.

In Ireland, at the height of the “Troubles,” it was said that the only solution for rabid sectarianism was to let 1,000 punk-rock bands bloom: music helped create a free space for dialogue (of a high-volume variety). So no politicians allowed. Artists only."

From Bono's Top Ten List

The jacket caught my eye.  Can you imagine these appearing in mega-churches, mosques, and synagogues across the US, let alone the world?  Certainly would take some listening to each other, I suspect.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Might help, can't hurt:smileyhappy:.

Peppermill wrote:

Festival of Abraham

Peter Arkle

"Here’s something that could never have happened in the Naughts but will maybe be possible in the Tweens or Teens — if there’s a breakthrough in the Mideast peace process. The idea is an arts festival that celebrates the origin of the three Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Every year it could be held in a different location; Jerusalem would obviously be the best place to start.

In Ireland, at the height of the “Troubles,” it was said that the only solution for rabid sectarianism was to let 1,000 punk-rock bands bloom: music helped create a free space for dialogue (of a high-volume variety). So no politicians allowed. Artists only."

From Bono's Top Ten List

The jacket caught my eye.  Can you imagine these appearing in mega-churches, mosques, and synagogues across the US, let alone the world?  Certainly would take some listening to each other, I suspect.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ahh I can't remember where I saw this clip. But yesterday there was this thing about a Indi/Paki American punk movement. This guy was talking about how the new music genre helped them rectify modern society, and mixed religious issues. If I can remember and can find one I'll post a link or paste.

New User
Cherriess4good
0 Kudos

If President Obama chooses to pray publicly or privately is his own choice, when or where is his choice as well. What really matters is what we do and not so much as another man, woman or child. We all make decisions based on whatever, so leave it alone already. How about discussing something that will feed the soul after all isnt that why we are in religous & spirituality board anyway.