Reply
Contributor
pickles-mnl
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎07-07-2009
0 Kudos

I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

...and I have very strong feelings towards him. I'm pretty positive that I love him, in fact...

I was just wondering, what do you guys think about it? I'm afraid of being separated from him eternally when I die. I know it's probably going to happen... but I'm having trouble accepting it. What should I do?

 

My grandparents went through the same thing; my grandfather was an Atheist, and my grandmother went to church almost every day.... so....

 

I don't even know what to do.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
So quick bright things come to confusion.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...


pickles-mnl wrote:

...and I have very strong feelings towards him. I'm pretty positive that I love him, in fact...

I was just wondering, what do you guys think about it? I'm afraid of being separated from him eternally when I die. I know it's probably going to happen... but I'm having trouble accepting it. What should I do?

 

My grandparents went through the same thing; my grandfather was an Atheist, and my grandmother went to church almost every day.... so....

 

I don't even know what to do.


Pickles --How old are you?

 

Under twenty -- wait.

 

In twenties -- ponder hard.

 

Older -- follow your heart and your head.

 

 

And, with that, I'll quit playing "Dear Abby."

 

 

The best to you and your beloved, whatever your decisions!

 

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
pickles-mnl
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎07-07-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

....i'm 16.

what should i "wait" for???

your advice is appreciated, but pretty hard to follow. :smileytongue:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
So quick bright things come to confusion.
Contributor
Texas-Buckeye
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎06-17-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

Here is what Paul advised the Corinthians,

 

2Co 6:14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

2Co 6:15 What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?

2Co 6:16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

2Co 6:17 Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,

2Co 6:18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

Corinthians is similar to the Koran when it talks about not mixing with infidels and is an example of the religious intolerance towards others which gives religion a bad name and causes strife in the world!  It is also Old Testament and does not preach the love and tolerance which Jesus Christ taught in the New Testament - love thy neighbour as thyself; faith, hope and love and the greatest of these is love; do unto others as you would have them do unto you etc etc.

 

 

 

My advice would be to say that 'love will find a way' and that I think that your religion would say that in such circumstances you should pray, perhaps for his conversion which, theoretically, can happen until the moment of death.  

 

Laurel or Peppermill can probably advise but I don't think your boyfriend has to be a Christian to get into heaven, I think it is enough that he lives his life as a good person.  I think some branches of Christianity teach this.   

 

 

 


Texas-Buckeye wrote:

Here is what Paul advised the Corinthians,

 

2Co 6:14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

2Co 6:15 What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?

2Co 6:16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

2Co 6:17 Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,

2Co 6:18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."


 

Contributor
Texas-Buckeye
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎06-17-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

Sorry, but I believe that you are misinterpretting the passage.  Paul does not say do not mix or be with unbelievers.  In writing to an agrarian society, Paul uses the metaphor of the yoke which is used to attach a beast of burden to a piece of equipment.  Think of placing two oxen in a yoke for the purpose of plowing a field.  You could also use two donkeys for the same task.  You would not, however, try to yoke an ox to a donkey.  First the yoke would not fit them equally so the task of plowing because a greater burden upon one.  With the unequal burden of the yoke plowing a straight furrow becomes extremely difficult.

 

In the book we are reading for this month, The Power of the Myth, Joseph Campbell makes much the same point on pages six through eight in discussing marriage in the modern society.  Marriage is a sacrifice of the self to a new being; two individuals join together to make one.  Both must make sacrifices to the other and the unequal yoke comes in when you have two different believe systems, who sacrifices what to the other and how do you reconcile those differences.  It is not intolerance but a matter of equity.  As Campbell points out, if each person wants to do their own thing then it is a love affair but not truely a marriage.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

 


Choisya wrote:

Edited by twh..

...It is also Old Testament and does not preach the love and tolerance which Jesus Christ taught in the New Testament - love thy neighbour as thyself; faith, hope and love and the greatest of these is love; do unto others as you would have them do unto you etc etc....

Now why would you write that? Here is one comparison of love in the Old Testament vs the New Testament which begins like this:

 

Old Testament God of Love 

Is the God of the Old Testament really so different from the God of the New?

Many people mistakenly believe that the God of the Old Testament is a “God of wrath,” while seeing the God of the New Testament as a “God of love.” However, a careful reading of both the Old and New Testament quickly reveals that God’s love and His wrath are revealed in both Testaments, and the God of the “Old” is the same as the God of the New”.
The following comparisons demonstrate this biblical fact:...

 

and here is another source which happens to be one person's EXPLANATION, which begins like this:


God's Love In The Old Testament

I heard a comment over the weekend trying to suggest that you never see the love of God in the Bible until you get to the New Testament. And it struck me as very odd that someone would actually say something like that, at a church of all places, but then I started thinking about how many times I had heard that kind of thing from non- believers as well, worded a bit different, but still essentially the same thing.

 

I am troubled enough by it that I am going to spend a few minutes refuting that claim and using the Old Testament, to prove that God indeed showed His love for us in the entire word not just when Jesus walked the earth.

First, let me say at the beginning that I am Messianic believer, I believe that Jesus was and is the promised Messiah but I also believe in keeping the Holy days that God commanded His people, the Jews, to keep. I understand fully, as a gentile, that because of the grace of God I have been grafted in to His family and I am now a part of His people because of His grace.

So why tell you this? Once you understand that it is by grace that you are grafted into the family of God and by that grace you become a part of His people, the Jews, you begin to realize that all the promises made to the people of Israel in the old testament apply to you as well and in many cases the gentiles are actually said to be blessed because of God's grace and because of Israel. How can you doubt the love of God? .......CONTINUE...

 


Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

I wrote it because it is my understanding of a certain Christian viewpoint (CofE) as taught to me when I was at school.  It is also an opinion based on my reading of both books of the Bible whilst studying comparative religion.  I have none of these beliefs and accept none of these 'facts'.  I do not accept that I am part of any religious family whatsoever.  I doubt the love of God because I doubt/reject the idea of his very existence.  Both books of the Bible are myths to me and are on a par with other religious 'holy' books such as the Upanishads. I discuss them on threads here as I would discuss any other book. 

 

   

 


thewanderingjew wrote: 

Choisya wrote:

Edited by twh..

...It is also Old Testament and does not preach the love and tolerance which Jesus Christ taught in the New Testament - love thy neighbour as thyself; faith, hope and love and the greatest of these is love; do unto others as you would have them do unto you etc etc....

Now why would you write that? Here is one comparison of love in the Old Testament vs the New Testament which begins like this:

 

Old Testament God of Love 

Is the God of the Old Testament really so different from the God of the New?

Many people mistakenly believe that the God of the Old Testament is a “God of wrath,” while seeing the God of the New Testament as a “God of love.” However, a careful reading of both the Old and New Testament quickly reveals that God’s love and His wrath are revealed in both Testaments, and the God of the “Old” is the same as the God of the New”.
The following comparisons demonstrate this biblical fact:...

 

and here is another source which happens to be one person's EXPLANATION, which begins like this:


God's Love In The Old Testament

I heard a comment over the weekend trying to suggest that you never see the love of God in the Bible until you get to the New Testament. And it struck me as very odd that someone would actually say something like that, at a church of all places, but then I started thinking about how many times I had heard that kind of thing from non- believers as well, worded a bit different, but still essentially the same thing.

 

I am troubled enough by it that I am going to spend a few minutes refuting that claim and using the Old Testament, to prove that God indeed showed His love for us in the entire word not just when Jesus walked the earth.

First, let me say at the beginning that I am Messianic believer, I believe that Jesus was and is the promised Messiah but I also believe in keeping the Holy days that God commanded His people, the Jews, to keep. I understand fully, as a gentile, that because of the grace of God I have been grafted in to His family and I am now a part of His people because of His grace.

So why tell you this? Once you understand that it is by grace that you are grafted into the family of God and by that grace you become a part of His people, the Jews, you begin to realize that all the promises made to the people of Israel in the old testament apply to you as well and in many cases the gentiles are actually said to be blessed because of God's grace and because of Israel. How can you doubt the love of God? .......CONTINUE...

 



 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...


pickles-mnl wrote:

....i'm 16.

what should i "wait" for???

your advice is appreciated, but pretty hard to follow. :smileytongue:


Oh, dear, Pickles, to make a bad pun, I'm afraid I'm in a pickle.  I feel as I shall have to be serious, rather than flippant/serious.

 

I wouldn't say "wait for" but rather to "wait to": wait to make a final decision about a life partner.   

 

You are planning for so far into the future - for eternity,  rather than for the next 70 to 80 years that you and your beloved may well live.  In this age, with its heavy divorce rate in our society, I would suggest exploring what you both want for those years even as you keep your thoughts on forever.

 

Below is a technique on life planning that you might find fun to do, Pickles.  (If you are 16, I am going to assume you were born in 1993.)

 

Grab a sheet of paper or a notebook.  For each decade of your life, jot down two of the most important things for your life that you think will or you want to happen during that decade.  (Two is arbitrary, but don't make the list too long, at least not the first time.  The object is to envision a possible sweep of your lifetime.)

 

1993-2002  (This is looking backwards.  You might want to break this into five year chunks if you do it!)

2003-2012  (teens)

2013-2022  (twenties)

2023-2032  (thirties)

2033-2042  (forties)

2043-2052  (fifties)

2053-2062  (sixties)

2063-2072  (seventies)

2073-2082  (eighties)

2083-2092  (nineties)

.

.

Eternity

 

So, for example, if you want children and to bear them in your twenties, recognize that by the time you reach fifty, they will all be older than you are now!   Your fifties and sixties could well be about being a grandmother. What formal education would you like to obtain and by when?  Many people tend to solidify their value system in their twenties, after spending some time exploring  the great diversity of this world; others do so earlier or later.  Do you want or need a career as well as a home and family life and, if so, what years will you especially devote to developing your skills and talents and the needed relationships?  When would you like to be at the peak of your skills and when might you like to "retire" or divert your time to other considerations?  Do you want to travel or do some particular activities as a part of your life experiences and when would you like those things to happen?  Teens for you might well include finding your soul mate and perhaps establishing responsibility for yourself independent of your parents.

 

If you do this, remember what General Eisenhower said about planning and war (in paraphrase) - Plans aren't what are important; but planning is.  Things will never turn out according to plans, but planning can help us see what we want and what we need to do to obtain them.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
Texas-Buckeye
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎06-17-2009

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

Interesting perspective, but Second Corinthians is New Testament and not Old Testament.  You say the Jesus preached love and tolerance.  While He did teach that we are to love our neighbor as ourselves and that we should forgive our brother seventy times seven times; He also taught that there is only one path to salvation, Himself.  He states that no one comes to the Father except through the Son.  On at least two occasions he chased the money changes from the Temple.  Orthodox Christianity has always recognized the God is a God of love and of wrath.  Which one we see depends entirely on His grace and mercy and not what we want God to be.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

[ Edited ]

Well, I am more inclined to see the wrath of God in the Old Testament and Jesus' preaching of love and tolerance in the New (asin the Sermon on the Mount) but then I am not an orthodox or any sort of christian.  Sorry about Corinthians but it still has the whiff of the proscriptions of the Old Testament about it, a touch of the 'thou shalt nots'. 

 

  

 


Texas-Buckeye wrote:
Interesting perspective, but Second Corinthians is New Testament and not Old Testament.  You say the Jesus preached love and tolerance.  While He did teach that we are to love our neighbor as ourselves and that we should forgive our brother seventy times seven times; He also taught that there is only one path to salvation, Himself.  He states that no one comes to the Father except through the Son.  On at least two occasions he chased the money changes from the Temple.  Orthodox Christianity has always recognized the God is a God of love and of wrath.  Which one we see depends entirely on His grace and mercy and not what we want God to be.

 

Message Edited by Choisya on 07-10-2009 12:24 PM
Contributor
Texas-Buckeye
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎06-17-2009

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

Intriquing that you reference the Sermon on the Mount as preaching love and tolerance.  Yes, Christ does proclaim that the meek shall inherit the earth and that we are to love our brother as ourselves.  But he goes on to state in Matther 5:17 that He has not come to abolish the law and the prophets but to fulfill the law.  He goes further to state that those who relaxes or teaches the relaxation of any part of the law will suffer the consequences in heaven.

 

The Sermon on the Mount also teaches about the situation which initiated this discussion, the combination of a Christian and a non-Christian.  In Matther 6:24 Jesus states that no one can serve two masters.  You must serve one or the other.  If a relationship involves two people with opposite worldviews, one must change that view in submission to the other in order for the relationship to work.

 

It is a choice that must be made.  In closing the sermon in chapter seven Jesus proclaims that the way to salvation is via a narrow and difficult path and those who find it are few.  Unfortunately, while I believe it to be true, it not a tolerant position.  There are not many or even several paths, there is only one.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

I think that many of us serve two masters at least - our boss and our spouse:smileyhappy:. And many of us happily live with a spouse with a different world view without subjugating our own views - vive la difference!

 

And no, these are not tolerant positions which is perhaps why I am an atheist and do not care a jot about my 'salvation'.  The ancient Golden Rule is enough for me to live my life by and that is difficult enough.   

 

 

 


Texas-Buckeye wrote:

Intriquing that you reference the Sermon on the Mount as preaching love and tolerance.  Yes, Christ does proclaim that the meek shall inherit the earth and that we are to love our brother as ourselves.  But he goes on to state in Matther 5:17 that He has not come to abolish the law and the prophets but to fulfill the law.  He goes further to state that those who relaxes or teaches the relaxation of any part of the law will suffer the consequences in heaven.

 

The Sermon on the Mount also teaches about the situation which initiated this discussion, the combination of a Christian and a non-Christian.  In Matther 6:24 Jesus states that no one can serve two masters.  You must serve one or the other.  If a relationship involves two people with opposite worldviews, one must change that view in submission to the other in order for the relationship to work.

 

It is a choice that must be made.  In closing the sermon in chapter seven Jesus proclaims that the way to salvation is via a narrow and difficult path and those who find it are few.  Unfortunately, while I believe it to be true, it not a tolerant position.  There are not many or even several paths, there is only one.


 

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

It should have a whiff of the "thou shall nots" about it. Christ did not do away with the laws, he did not do away with the prophets. The laws of Moses were the lesser laws, not in importance but in understanding. When the people wandered in the desert, they could not live the higher laws, they were not ready and they showed it when Moses went up into the mountains to receive the word of God for them. So the lesser laws were given, that they might learn the blessings that come from them. Thou shalt nots....are not words of a God of wrath but of love. He wants to keep us from harm. Look at the laws themselves and tell me there is no love in them, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not commit adultery..etc. This is not limiting a man's rights any more than the laws today based on these are. They keep us safe from harming each other or being harmed by each other. They teach the "how to live" so that later when Christ comes, he can teach more of the higher law behind these, of "how to love". Everything in the Old Testament are similitudes of the Christ to come. It is preparatory to receiving even more. It is the milk before the meat and can not be done away with else the teachings in the New Testament have no base.

 

The New Testament does not do away with the old, ever. And Christ was clear on this point. But because many had changed some of the word of God, and were preaching the word of men, Jesus spent his whole ministry correcting those changes and teaching more of what the Prophets of old were really talking about. When the Sadducees or Pharisees would try to trick him in a point of law, always, he would tell them, if they new the law (if they understood it) they would know better. He would use those things spoken of, of old to emphasize a point He would make at that time. His words were words of love yes and he used the teachings of old to show them, to help them understand. He is the Savior come to earth in the New Testament and the God of the old Testament. He created the world, under the direction of the Father and that is part of what makes him the God of the Old Testament. In the new testament at one point, He even says, I am the great I AM, referring to the God who spoke to Moses. So how can He do away with His own words, or how can the one book have no love in it if He is the creator of it? And yes he is a God of wrath too in both, as was mentioned. He will not allow evil to continue always. He destroyed it in the old when it would nearly destroy all the children of God. And he talked and showed his wrath in the New Testament. When he went into the temple where the money changers were, that was a premeditated act. He went with a whip, he turned over tables, he threw them out and that wrath was felt and it was not the wrath of a man. Think of it, any ordinary man coming in there and wrecking their business, they all would have killed him! But they backed away and ran, not one soul tried to harm him, not even the unbelievers just out for a buck, why? What was it in him that could turn them on their heals when they outnumbered this one man many times over? Imagine what they must have felt to run from him. And then he taught that he came as a lamb but the next time he will come as a lion and lay waste to the evil in the world and those who follow it, the worldly who turn laws and ideas to suit their own desires.

 

If you think its just that someone wrote a book and there seems to be similarities, and try to say well that's because the same people wrote these books or they are only fables and so there are some things that sound the same, you miss what richness there is in actual scripture. Scripture was never meant to be read and "studied" as beautiful prose only, or good moral fables. The were written to record the truths of a living God who wanted these things known for the betterment of all mankind, that we may learn to live more as he does. That we might love, more as He does. And tho that love is unconditional, it does not do away with justice. Mercy can not rob justice, else there is no justice. So yes, God is a God of love and also one who will dole out justice in His wrath, but only when he has let us fill out cups completely and still not partaken of the biggest act of love ever, the atonement. When we do not partake of the atonement, by repentance, by living as Christ would have us live, by following those love based laws, it is as He has said, it is as if we have crucified him over again. Surely it is as if we were the ones who spat on him too. Both books of scripture are meant to uplift men and bring joy to them, here and eternally, not frighten us, or tear us down, or have us use it against others. There is no fear of God's wrath, when we partake of His love.

 

TWJ is right, how can one read the Old Testament, believing in a God or not and not see the love that is in it? It is throughout the old Testament. Maybe tho, it can only be recognized by a desire to know it so that the Spirit can make those marvelous things manifest. I would think tho that even scholars or laymen, could read and with even just a desire to understand what it all meant, would see the love there.

 

 

One more thought  too. We all know  that many atrocities have been committed in the name of  religion, but that does not mean religion, in this case Christianity is wrong or a bad thing i.e. prejudice or exclusionary. It just means people have used it wrongfully for their own gains or out of ignorance.

 


Choisya wrote:

Well, I am more inclined to see the wrath of God in the Old Testament and Jesus' preaching of love and tolerance in the New (asin the Sermon on the Mount) but then I am not an orthodox or any sort of christian. Sorry about Corinthians but it still has the whiff of the proscriptions of the Old Testament about it, a touch of the 'thou shalt nots'.

 

 

 


Texas-Buckeye wrote:
Interesting perspective, but Second Corinthians is New Testament and not Old Testament. You say the Jesus preached love and tolerance. While He did teach that we are to love our neighbor as ourselves and that we should forgive our brother seventy times seven times; He also taught that there is only one path to salvation, Himself. He states that no one comes to the Father except through the Son. On at least two occasions he chased the money changes from the Temple. Orthodox Christianity has always recognized the God is a God of love and of wrath. Which one we see depends entirely on His grace and mercy and not what we want God to be.

 

Message Edited by Choisya on 07-10-2009 12:24 PM

 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
pickles-mnl
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎07-07-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

I wish I could thank each and every one of you personally.

This is a predicament that I have been confused about for a very VERY long time, and I have never gotten such detailed, helpful advice.

I'm really starting to feel better!!

 

Thank you, everyone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
So quick bright things come to confusion.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

This is a simple truth to follow, no matter where you find it written.

Re: Leviticus 19:18 "'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.‏

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...


thewanderingjew wrote:

This is a simple truth to follow, no matter where you find it written.

Re: Leviticus 19:18 "'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.‏


Simple, but not necessarily easy.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

Yeah Peppermill, I agree on both points. It is a simple doctrine, but it is not easy. That is what makes us different from Christ and Heavenly Father, they are perfect, we are not. But they wish us to try to be like them..."Come follow me." The beauty of the life of Christ and the law will never pass away, nor will the need for them. All men, everywhere, much choose. The golden rule is a good rule, and actually Christlike, but it is not enough. There is more to our existence than this life on this little planet. Heck, this is just school for the next! If we live only for this life, we will never rise above it. And when we can see past this life, we know there is more, even scientist will tell you energy is never destroyed, only turned into something else. And there are many many many scientists who believe in God and as they see there is no end to the universe, they also know there is no end to us. So where do we learn how to prepare for that life, to stretch and be more than what we are here. To live these laws more easily and perfectly, here and for the next? In the scriptures. It is what they are for. As we study them in this way, we come closer to God and as we do that, we come closer to each other and live the laws that would make Earth, Heaven itself. But we are human, not perfect, so it is that there is no end to law, there is no end to God, there is no end to truth.

 


Peppermill wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

This is a simple truth to follow, no matter where you find it written.

Re: Leviticus 19:18 "'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.‏


Simple, but not necessarily easy.


 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

Yes, and just another version of the Golden Rule which exists in many religions.

 

 

 


Peppermill wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

This is a simple truth to follow, no matter where you find it written.

Re: Leviticus 19:18 "'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.‏


Simple, but not necessarily easy.


 

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: I'm a Christian, dating an Atheist...

Exactly! Because all religions started from one religion, one God. All truth came from that one God. Then, because men do have free agency, if they didn't like the laws of God, or just some of them, and wanted something that fit their lifestyle rather than changing to meet God's, they started adding things to make up their own religions, or subtract other things to make another. What was once one, became many. All three of the main religions in the world, have there roots in the Old Testament, Christianity, Judaism and Muslim. It is why that one little area of the world is so important to all three. Then you have all these thousands and thousands of other religions or types of one of the three spring up because that didn't suit all either and they wanted it to suit them. That is the same reason today that if a law does not suit one group of people or another, people say, come on, its the 21st century, we are better than that, we should be more open minded than that. Like God didn't know when he gave the laws, that we would be here today??? Or that we should have something different because we want to be more worldly? He knows us all, every person who will hit this earth, and He knows our needs, and they do not change, nor do his laws. We just try to change them. But they all come from one, and the golden rule came from that, just saying the same thing in a way that is more palitable to those who do not want to realise or be connected to the religious or spiritual nature of the saying. With so many changes from what was the truth, to variations of the truth, its no wonder some people don't believe any of it. But also some just don't want anyone or anything, including a God, telling them what they can do! It doesn't really matter tho, in the end it will all be set right and as the scriptures say...every knee shall bow and every tongue confess, that Jesus is the Christ.

 

If any of God's laws seem exclusionary, or extreme or mean...it is because we are His children, and like any other children, we sometimes rail against our parents rules cause they just don't feel fair! With growth tho, we understand why our parents taught us what they did. It is the same with God's rules. And we grow by getting to knew them in the way he wants us to understand them, not what the neighborhood kid said, or what we come up with in a huff against them. But God is and always was a loving God, he is willing to give all things, teach all things....Ask and it shall be given, knock and it shall be opened.

 

Religions did not grow out of fable, but fables grew out of changed religious canons. How can anyone doubt there is a God, when the entire human race, no matter where you go, feels inside and knows and worships some higher being in some way or the other? It is because we have the common experience that is spiritual that tells us there is more and we reach for that. You can not go into the deepest forest where the outside world has never touched and find any race of atheist. They will tell you of some god they worship and why. We all started as one family, one God and one day, we all will be again, but it will be by our own choice, the other choice is there for any wanting less. God does not want anyone to have less. He sent prophets and teachers and a Savior into the world to try to make sure we come home to him again, because he loves every single one of us, but He will force no man to heaven. We are children, trying to become ready for Heaven, as our own children try to become ready for the adult world. And often as humans children, we think we know better than both our Heavenly and earthly parent.

 


Choisya wrote:

Yes, and just another version of the Golden Rule which exists in many religions.

 

 

 


Peppermill wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

This is a simple truth to follow, no matter where you find it written.

Re: Leviticus 19:18 "'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.‏


Simple, but not necessarily easy.


 


 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb