Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourself!

I didn't spell check,sorry..see my previous post Vtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
0 Kudos

Reply moved to the Read My Book! thread in the Community Room

New User
conyin
0 Kudos

Well when I say I'm new to this computer stuff you can belief it...It took me half a day to figure out how to reply....not sure if I'm even doing this right....anyway I like nothing better ??? What?? Ok something are better but I love to get my Study Bible, My Catholic Bible, KJV Bible, and Encountering the Old and New Testament Books, and The complete works of Josephus, The Torah, and The Biblical World Atlas...all out on the table and just look up the differences....Yo Way Fun....I am a knowledge junkie
Ancora Imparo ( I'm still Learning) Michelangelo
Contributor
NJSally
0 Kudos

Good Morning everyone. 

A little about myself: My name is Sally and Im a 30yo female from NJ. I grew up Catholic and followed the faith religiously my whole child/teen life. After I got married I continued to follow it but recently maybe 6 months ago I really started to become interested in the factual part of the Catholic/Christian Religion. Maybe that's bec I had to have an emergency surgery and luckily all is well and Im so grateful for that, but afterwards is when I really started to feel connected to God. So I started off with "A Life oF Paul" by Pollock, then it was onto "The Jesus Chronicles", then a few other short story Christian Fiction novels that I can't remember the names of but they were good. Now im reading a 500 pager called Left Behind-almost done and read it in 3 days.  Awesome.  Im really into these kinds of books and would like to talk to others who also enjoy them like me. Really id like to get together locally, but most people from B&N book clubs read fiction that i don't particularly like.  Anyway...Its nice to meet all of you.

~Sally

Contributor
ler2009
0 Kudos

Nice to meet you Sally.
Contributor
NJSally
0 Kudos

Same here. Nice to meet you.  I just wanted to post that although my new book read isnt really spiritual or religious it does have some reference to it. Im reading Stella by Peter Wyden.  Its a true story about a woman named Stella who is Jewish and basically its a story about the holocaust etc and her part as  Jew how she had to partake in the beatings and killings so she could survive.  Its a true story and Im about almost half way through..its very good.  They talk about religion so maybe some of you might be intersted in it.  I took it out from the library.  but im sure u could by it from B & N. 

Next on my list is book 2 from the series "Left Behind"

~SAlly

Happy Friday~

New User
symphonySM
0 Kudos

My name is Simonne, I live in Southern California .... books I do quite love to read, however, religoun and spirituality is pretty much my fascination besides philosophy. I have read many books, alot of the agnostic books, I have enjoyed the book of Finding religoun,

though my religoun is catholic/christian. Okay, baptised catholic, but prefer christian church. Then again, I read because of the values, the faith drive that some carry and I am very interested in the diversity around the setting of a church verses just a belief. Taking belief in consideration because I really do not go to church, my values and my view point would be different than someone elses and this is where I jump in and find it pretty cool to click into ones mind. There are many different spiritual books to make one's self esteem arise or the spirituality of the man kind initself, whether it is by church, AA, or some other non profit organization, I say what ever trips your trigger. I believe in God and I think just the belief and our actions speak for itself, but then ethically speaking, this conversation can get in way in depth. I love to read and discuss, I go to school online at Ashford. Going for my BA in Organizational Management. So, one day, I will go into Human Resources. It is a goal anyways, thanks for having me.

Symphony

Contributor
EcclecticReader
0 Kudos

My name is Julie.  I live in Northern Maryland.  I am a "born again Christian" I guess you could call it.  I was baptised and confirmed when I turned 13.  My father is a non-practicing Catholic and my mom is...Let's just say she believes there is a higher power.  The summer I turned 14, I lost a friend to suicide and I totally lost my faith in God, or so I thought.  I turned to Wicca after a few years.  A few years ago I had a co-worker take me to a play at a church and it changed my way of thinking.  I believe in God.  I think I have always believed in Him.  But there was a time when I strayed from Him.  Now though, I do not go to church.  I've been to churches but they are not for me.  I pray and I read the bible.  Not as diligently as I should, but I do.  I bring my children up to believe in God and raise them with certain rules.  After all this, I still believe there are gods and godesses like there are in Wicca.  I keep to some of Wiccas traditions but I still Believe in the One True God.  Is this wrong to do?  I have no idea.  I have weird beliefs when it comes to Christianity and the bible.  I also believe in the supernatural and paranormal.  Sorry if it sounds like I am venting, but I just wanted to say my piece. 
Adelle
0 Kudos

Julie from Northern Maryland, Someone should welcome you; I happen to be here, so let it be me.   I hope you find reading or writing on the site to be engaging and that it is a blessing in your life.    I've found it's been good for me.

Adelle

Contributor
NJSally
0 Kudos

Hi Julie,

I also would like to welcome you and to say hello.  I feel that nobody should be judged on what or how they feel regarding god.  I also hope the site can give you some kind of inspiration.  Maybe if you found the "right church" for you it might change your thinking about going to one.

I always went to church but up until recently after joining another church is when I found my calling to god.  Good Luck!

~Sally

srochman2000@yahoo.com

you can email anytime....

New User
Holdfast619
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

My name is James. I was so excited when I signed up on B&N, I have spent the last few days on here updating my profile and now I found an awesome book club...this one lol.

I enjoy reading about all religions. My library mostly consists of buddhist texts as of right now. I have books about Christianity, Judaism, Norse religions, Eastern religions, Pagan, and Muslim.

My religious background is pretty much like a rollercoaster lol. I was born Jewish but I grew up in a small town and was baptized Bretheren. I converted to Catholicism when I joined the Navy. I studied all different religions during my life. When I decided to get out of the Navy, I wanted to become a Carmelite Monk. I met my wife and that changed all of that lol. I went back to Judaism when I met my wife, she is Jewish as well. The other reason for the change was when I was told to make a choice, Freemasonry or Catholicism. I chose Freemasonry. After I opened my first Buddhism for dummies book, I fell in love with it. I have been studying Buddhism for over a year now, it is a great philosophy. I am hoping to have some great conversations and discussions on here. Feel free to chat with me about anything.

James

Contributor
NJSally
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nice to meet  you James. Wow you do have  a wild story!!  Im glad you are happy with the religion that you finally decided to settle on. 

Currently, im on the second book of the Left Behind Series by Tim Lahaye and Jenkins.

Very good series,  I read the first 500 page book in less than 3 days....

The second one is just as good as the first...its about the same length and Im half way thru this one as well...

you should check the series out.....Higly recomended

~Sally nj

Message Edited by NJSally on 06-03-2009 09:20 AM
Joseph_F
0 Kudos

Welcome all who introduced themselves while I was away. I am usually much more active in my participation but unfortunatly was unable to use the internet much for a week. But here I am, and I look forward to discussions with all of you :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
Sarasvati
0 Kudos

hello my name is sarasvati. . . om 15 years of age and im from east coast but ive traveld to many places to have a home. ive tried many religions im my short burst of life and have settled on one  this one being the longest one.
New User
Holdfast619
0 Kudos

Thanks sally! I just bought the Left Behind: Eternal Forces game. It came with the first book, I am planning on reading it. My mom told me it was good a long time ago. I will see you around, thanks for the good book recommendation.

James

Contributor
EcclecticReader
0 Kudos

Tim Lahaye's series is excellent.  When you're done with that one, try the teen series.  Same concept, different point of view.  They are both amazing!
New User
LindenTree09
0 Kudos

I am Lindsey which is from the linden tree island and that is why my user name is that. I am from a small town in central Ohio. I did not grow up in the church but I did go to a Nazarene church. I recently graduated from a Christian college. I am not a theologian. I am interested in books that make me want to further my relationship with God. I am a person who has made mistakes but I have been saved by Grace.  
For Surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your good and not for harm. Jeremiah 29.11
Contributor
NJSally
0 Kudos

As I relaxed by the pool this weekend I finished up the second book in the Left behind series. The second was just as good as the first.  Im going to be starting the 3rs book shortly, but first im taking up the book "The Last juror"by john grisham...i like  change of pase before i jump into the 3rd book.  I heard this book is very good as well.

I would love more recomendations for christian books fiction or non fiction. Thanks

~Sally

Contributor
Texas-Buckeye
0 Kudos

My name is Tim and I am originally from Ohio but now live in Texas.  I am active in the Presbyterian church although my background is Methodist.  The attraction for me in reformed theology is that through the use of the Westminster Confession you know what we believe.  You do not have to agree with everything, but it eliminates the confusion of the statement "we believe in the Bible" which does not define what that belief is. 

I am looking forward to learning about the thoughts and beliefs of others.  This is my first time joining a book club and I am intrigued by the opportunity.

New User
rainspirit
0 Kudos

hello everyone-i just found these different groups a little bit ago!  i'm originally from michigan, and moved to florida in 1998, and in 2002 got married.  we have one grandson who is almost 2, and he's a riot!

i was brought up in the catholic church, and about 3 or 4 years ago, we joined the mormon church.  i am also disabled, so there are many, many Sundays that i can't go, but when i do, i really feel closer to God!  (i just read more and more)

last summer (2008) i had gotten some kind of virus, and i had to go through withdrawals from all the meds that wouldn't stay in my stomach very long (sorry, but there's a reason), and it was around 95* outside, and i was sick, so i went outside in a terry cloth robe, really thick pj's, and i was just frozen!  anyway, i kept praying that God would let me get through all this, and i started reading the Bible, front to back, and FINISHED it in just a few weeks!  i was so proud of myself!  then, i had a lot of Mormon books, and started them, and didn't quit until i had read every one of them!

i have thoroughly enjoyed them!  about the "left behind" series, i've just started the "before they were left behind", figured i see who and what every one had done.  halfway through the first "left behind" book, and all through the 2nd and 3rd book, is pretty scary!  with times the way they are, and the way things are going, it's like this book is coming to the truth!  they are all well written, and the authors have really made it seem like you are right there!

sorry, it looks like i've started my own novel!  and, i really like this group!

rainspirit