Frequent Contributor
soylentgeek
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourself!

Hi, I'm Soylent Geek. I'm from the US and I'm a Dawkins 6.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

soylentgeek wrote:

Hi, I'm Soylent Geek. I'm from the US and I'm a Dawkins 6.

Ok that's a new one. What's a Dawkins 6?

Frequent Contributor
soylentgeek
0 Kudos

This is the Dawkins Scale, from The God Delusion, which basically describe the seven different positions on religious belief that a person can take. I'm a 6. Dawkins is a 6. I'd venture that most atheist scientists would rate themselves as a 6 on that scale, since a scientist presented with solid, verifiable evidence that his/her hypothesis is wrong will change that hypothesis.

1.    Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'

3. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'

5. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'

7. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

9. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'

11. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

13. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(chuckle) Ok I get it. Married to a 6 myself.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

soylentgeek wrote:
This is the Dawkins Scale, from The God Delusion, which basically describe the seven different positions on religious belief that a person can take. I'm a 6. Dawkins is a 6. I'd venture that most atheist scientists would rate themselves as a 6 on that scale, since a scientist presented with solid, verifiable evidence that his/her hypothesis is wrong will change that hypothesis.

1.    Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'

3. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'

5. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'

7. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

9. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'

11. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

13. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

I really like the way you broke it all down..Vtcozy.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
soylentgeek
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

I really like the way you broke it all down..Vtcozy.

Thanks but that is Richard Dawkins's breakdown, not mine. I just place myself on the scale.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

soylentgeek wrote:

It seems to me that Dawkins is presupposing a very anthropomorphic God concept in positing this particular scale.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
soylentgeek
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

It seems to me that Dawkins is presupposing a very anthropomorphic God concept in positing this particular scale.

That's an interesting idea. Do you think it might warrant a thread for discussion? Is the Dawkins scale from his book The God Delusion dependent upon an anthropromorphic god concept? I think it might be interesting to have that discussion - but in its own thread.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

I think it would make a great discussion, soylentgeek - you should start up a thread about it.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

I think it would make a great discussion, soylentgeek - you should start up a thread about it.

Go ahead.  However, I do not expect to be one of the discussants.  This is a type of topic that I much enjoy engaging in a small face-to-face group, but doubt I am able or willing to sustain on a board like this.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
Serafina_Siubhan
0 Kudos

hello. i am 22 years old and i have two wonderful children (most the time. lol.) anyways i was raised christian baptist but a couple of years ago i turned down a path my family would never approve of. i decided to become a wiccan. if this offends anyone on this board then i apologize but my religion is mine to choose. i hope that i can find others like me here. even if i don't i still hope that i can find friends here and we can discuss religious beliefs and learn about each other.

Merry meet and blessed be! :smileyvery-happy:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Serafina_Siubhan wrote:

hello. i am 22 years old and i have two wonderful children (most the time. lol.) anyways i was raised christian baptist but a couple of years ago i turned down a path my family would never approve of. i decided to become a wiccan. if this offends anyone on this board then i apologize but my religion is mine to choose. i hope that i can find others like me here. even if i don't i still hope that i can find friends here and we can discuss religious beliefs and learn about each other.

Merry meet and blessed be! :smileyvery-happy:

Merry met, merry part, and merry meet again.

Contributor
susiet59
0 Kudos

Hi:  I'm susiet59.  I love the old testament and its characters.  I have done a lot of study on Abraham, David, Isaiah, and many more.  Presently I'm working on the Geology of Abraham's family.  I think I can place Abraham in Mesopotamia, Ur, Cannan and with the Chaldeans.  I believe he was in Babylonian along with Lot., etc.  I usually begin with a theory and then prove myself wrong of right on.  I have been anxious to discuss The Shack on a book discussion group, anyone interested?  The Shack makes you think is that my belief too, if not, can I go there, or can I try to get there.  By watching TV, I have learned Archeologist have identified Abramham's home in Iraq, which makes perfect since to me.  Is there anyone who would like to begin a dialogs on the Old Testaments Covenants, a book discussion on The Shack. or any other subject?  I'm also a subscriber of the magazine BAR, Bibical Archaeology, the scientist versus the believers.  I will watch for anyone's answers. 

Contributor
susiet59
0 Kudos

SusieT59

I

Contributor
susiet59
0 Kudos

Re: SusieT59

I just lost my last post. Great!  Can I keep in touch anyway?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: SusieT59

It happens. Try again.

Contributor
Shirley_Holmes
0 Kudos

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose Wicca? I have a fascination with trying to study every relgion possible and the Wiccan religion is by far one of my favorites. I would love to know what every you can possibly tell me. =]

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Shirley_Holmes wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose Wicca? I have a fascination with trying to study every relgion possible and the Wiccan religion is by far one of my favorites. I would love to know what every you can possibly tell me. =]

Shirley -- check out the suggestions in this thread:

• Pagans, Druids, Shamans, and Witches
Contributor
Shirley_Holmes
0 Kudos

Thank you Peppermill =]

New User
Lynnette_Bonner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, My name is Lynnette and I'm just discovering these forums. Happy to be here and looking forward to getting to know some of you here.

I live in the NorthWest U.S. and am married with 4 children. I'm also an author. My first book, Rocky Mountain Oasis , realeased this past summer.

Oh, and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know what a Dawkins' 6 was. :smileyhappy: I guess I would be a Dawkins' 1, based on that list.