Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

New book coming out

[ Edited ]

I think I just found the next book I'm going to be reading.  I just found it in the New York Times book reviews.  I thought I'd share it here, as some of you might find it as intriguing as I.

LAISH

By Aharon Appelfeld

Translated by Aloma Halter

231 pp. Schocken Books. $23.95

The New York Times review is located  at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/books/review/Unsworth-t.html?_r=1&8bu&emc=bua2

Message Edited by blkeyesuzi on 03-27-2009 12:17 PM
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Re: New book coming out

I'll also be picking this one up!  I think it's another great possibility that might spur some great discussion:

Good Book 

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

Shocken does some great books. the following was terrific in addressing the historical David, and it's Pinsky of course.

The Life of David 

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

[ Edited ]

Speaking of David, there's also a new TV show based on the book of Kings (the show is simply called Kings), but taking place in an alternate 2009.  I watched the pilot and I have mixed feelings about it so far, but its quite interesting.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 03-27-2009 01:34 PM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

Shocken does some great books. the following was terrific in addressing the historical David, and it's Pinsky of course.

The Life of David 

This book looks quite interesting.  My wishlist is growing bigger and bigger!  So many books, so little time!!!

Suzi

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

The Life of David 

I think this book was discussed with the author on the Jewish Life and Literature board (Don't think that board name is quite correct, but you know what I mean).

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

Speaking of David, there's also a new TV show based on the book of Kings (the show is simply called Kings), but taking place in an alternate 2009.  I watched the pilot and I have mixed feelings about it so far, but its quite interesting.

The story of David, and indeed the entire books of 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel are the most exciting section of the Bible by far. It's full of all the royal intrigue and big battles that would make a good TV show. Moving it to modern day seems like an unnecessary gimmick to me, although it probably lowers costs quite a bit. 

I will probably do a featured reading of those books of the Bible at some point. They're worth going over, for entertainment value of the story if nothing else.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just last week I finished leading a reading and discussion of First and Second Samuel with some women in my neighborhood. Such wonderful human drama! (And a bit too much blood, some of the ladies thought.) For a recorded reading of the books, Alexander Scourby is insurpassable, in my opinion.

Scourby KJV Complete Bible Audio MP3 CD

Joseph_F wrote:

Jon_B wrote:

The story of David, and indeed the entire books of 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel are the most exciting section of the Bible by far. It's full of all the royal intrigue and big battles that would make a good TV show. Moving it to modern day seems like an unnecessary gimmick to me, although it probably lowers costs quite a bit. 

I will probably do a featured reading of those books of the Bible at some point. They're worth going over, for entertainment value of the story if nothing else.

Message Edited by Laurel on 03-30-2009 04:13 PM
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Contributor
ler2009
0 Kudos

Where and when is this show airing? If it hasn't started yet. Thanks!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I see that that's an MP3 CD.  Haven't seen those before.  Can it be played on a standard CD player, or do you have to copy it onto an MP3 player?

And can it be copied onto and played from your Kindle??

Laurel wrote:

Just last week I finished leading a reading and discussion of First and Second Samuel with some women in my neighborhood. Such wonderful human drama! (And a bit too much blood, some of the ladies thought.) For a recorded reading of the books, Alexander Scourby is insurpassable, in my opinion.

Joseph_F wrote:

Jon_B wrote:

Message Edited by Laurel on 03-30-2009 04:13 PM

0 Kudos

Audio Bible

You can play MP3 CDs on your DVD player through your television, on many newer CD players or ones specially marked for MP3 CDs, or through your computer. From computer you can download it to Kindle or an MP3 player with your computer's media player. The Mp3 CDs would be the least expensive way to go--quite a bargain, in fact--but you might have some trouble finding your place.

After wearing out two sets of old-fashioned audio cassettes I now have a GoBible. You can google that to see what is available. It's better than downloading to your MP3 player because you can quickly find book, chapter, and verse.

Everyman wrote:

I see that that's an MP3 CD.  Haven't seen those before.  Can it be played on a standard CD player, or do you have to copy it onto an MP3 player?

And can it be copied onto and played from your Kindle??

Laurel wrote:

Joseph_F wrote:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.