New User
Butterfly2or3
Accepted Solution

The Shack by William P. Young

Has anyone read The Shack? 

After two years, this book is still the topic of many conversations.  

This book really encouraged me. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that felt the same or had any other positive insight to offer.

Let's get together and discuss our opinions.  Perhaps, we could set up a meeting in Downers Grove, IL at the library.

Best Regards,

Butterfly

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: The Shack by William P. Young

Hi Butterfly2or3

Welcome!  Our Religion&Spirituality board is going to be discussing The Shack in May as one of their featured reads.  I'm not sure if everyone there will be able to make it to Downers Grove, IL but I think you might enjoy joining in this conversation online - give it a shot!

Jon

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
New User
carmen9234

Hi Butterfly,

I just read your post on The Shack.  I also found it to be not only memorable and uplifting but also full of hope.  I am looking forward to reading what other readers have to say about the book. 

Carmen

New User
Butterfly2or3
0 Kudos

Young’s description expanded my concept of God.  He achieved this by the use of the characters.   For example, God the father is depicted as an African American woman, Jesus as a lumber jack type of a guy, and the Holy Spirit as an Asian woman. This depiction opened my mind and spiritual eye even further to the understanding that God represents everyone; no matter what skin color,nationality, occupation, or where a person is from.  I felt acceptance.  His view also increased my understanding that God can be everything and everyone to me, while still caring for everyone else.  Amazing! I feel as though I have grown even matured a bit more.  It has helped to be more patient and accepting as well.

Did Young's description of God enhance your understanding of God?

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Well, since you guys are already discussing the book here... how bout I go ahead and move this thread into the Religion board, since book discussions like this belong more in the related book clubs board than here in the technical help board? :smileyhappy:

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
New User
Butterfly2or3
0 Kudos

Okay Jon... sounds okay to me.  Just a side note... I am still learning how to navigate my way around this place. :smileyhappy:
New User
Butterfly2or3
0 Kudos

Hi Carmen,

Sorry...as I told Jon, I am still learning my way around.  I meant to reply to you.

Young’s description expanded my concept of God.  He achieved this by the use of the characters.   For example, God the father is depicted as an African American woman, Jesus as a lumber jack type of a guy, and the Holy Spirit as an Asian woman. This depiction opened my mind and spiritual eye even further to the understanding that God represents everyone; no matter what skin color,nationality, occupation, or where a person is from.  I felt acceptance.  His view also increased my understanding that God can be everything and everyone to me, while still caring for everyone else.  Amazing! I feel as though I have grown even matured a bit more.  It has helped to be more patient and accepting as well.

Did Young's description of God enhance your understanding of God?

Contributor
drumrebrown
0 Kudos

The Shack was the first book I have read from cover to cover in many, many years.  It spurred my reading habit I have now.  Now on to my thoughts on the book.  I have been raised a god fearing and father fearing man.  Much to the point of my father was a very abusive "Preacher".  After he and my Mom parted ways when I was 18 I had a very hard time with the whole church/god thing.  I viewed my raising as if God is love then why did I get beat all the time why did I have to be the whipping post for some freakazoid.  That and many other things made me push away God.  When I read the book I learned a lot from a different viewpoint.  How god doesn't premit bad things he tries to use them in a positive manner to teach.  How you have to forgive and put things behind you (not forgetting the lessons you have learned).  How god wants to live within us all and not in a book.  I loved the book and it really opened my heart back up to the lord.  I look forward to hearing everyones views and comments.

drumrebrown

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein

New User
BelieverVT
0 Kudos

I read this book almost 3 years ago, I've been trying to find someone else who has read it. Last year on vacation I saw no less than 4 people reading it on the beach but was uncertain about striking up a conversation with people still reading it. It was an incredibly powerful depiction of the journey one father faces in the horrendous situation of the disappearance of his daughter. The most upsetting thing was that as I was reading it, a 12 year old from a neighboring town disappeared, and turned up days later sexually abused and dead. The Shack turned my reaction to that horrible real-life crime from the initial, instinctive "Kill the s.o.b. who did that" to something different. Not accepting, certainly, but less fearful - if that's the word I really want.-- The biggest impact of the book on me was one line - the most horrible feeling was my imagining the fear and pain of the young girl while that was happening to her, her feelings of terror and being alone, unprotected from this monster. But in the book when Jesus told the father "She was not alone, she did not feel pain or fear, I was with her" (sorry that is not a direct quote, I put the book away and can't lay hands on it right now) My heart was comforted. I believe Jesus WAS there and DID keep her from feeling fear and pain. Because that's what Jesus would do. It took me longer to forgive the perpetrator than it did the girl's father - and I can't say I truly forgave the man who committed the real-life crime in my part of the country, but I feel less hatred. And that is a wonderful thing.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

BelieverVT -- there is a thread (one or more) on this board about The Shack .  It was one of our first month's selections.  There was not a lot of discussion, but perhaps you could still generate more on those threads.

I thought it was an interesting book, although I was not as enthusiastic about it as many are -- perhaps because I have read others that were either far more radical or far more traditional. 

Pepper (are you in VT? -- I am entering this from the library in Stowe.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
0 Kudos

Personally, the message of The Shack kept getting buried under what I found to be really awful prose. I'm not Christian, so the ideas didn't speak to me that much, but even so my problem was definitely not with the theology. I just thought the actual writing was extremely poorly done.
New User
TruthinBooks
0 Kudos

I loved this book. For me, it answered so many questions, as well as opening up new ways of thinking of things. Another book I recently read builds on this: Gita Nazareth's Forgiving Ararat. This book too explores themes of judgment and forgiveness in the face of violence. As a fan and publicist for this book, I'm interested to see what parallels are drawn between the two.

New User
Fantasy_girl083
0 Kudos

I absolutly loved this book. The relationship it depicted between God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit was beautiful and helped me to see what a real relationship should look like. I understand that there is quite a bit of contraversy around this book and I've heard some of the arguments against this book, but I must disagree with them. I loved the book and God has used it to bring people closer to Him.

"I promise to love you forever-every single day of forever."

"Your life is an occasion...rise up to it."
Contributor
JoDay
0 Kudos

I'm reading it now, my first eBook!  I have been a Christian my whole life and have read many great books.  The Shack brings an incredible view of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  What a gift this book is to a wounded and desperately seeking world.   I have challenged many of my friends and family who have read this book or who are wanting to read this book to live like it suggests.  If we call ourselves Christians, we need to love like God does!  Have a great read!