Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Voodou or Voodoo

With the terrible tragedy that happened in Haiti, there has been some mention of the Voodou or Voodoo religion of this county. I naively thought Voodoo was some sort of black magic where people stuck pins in dolls to harm their enemies or wandered around like zombies. Now I see that this is a serious and legitimate religion that is a combination of native African religions and Catholicism.

I checked it out on Wikipedia.  Does anyone know anything about this religion?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Voodou or Voodoo

Purly from an outsider point of view. I've been to a voodoo ceremony and and voodun funeral. Know enough to follow the gist of a conversation about this or that loa. But I recognize large gaps in my knowlege of it.

Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
0 Kudos

In August, we discussed the book The Serpent And The Rainbow  by Wade Davis.

Link to thread here: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Religion-Spirituality/August-book-The-Serpent-and-the-Rainbow...

Vodou is probably the single most misunderstood religion in the world.It is a well-organized religion that is the reason Haiti has managed to keep any semblence of an organized society through the poverty and tragedies that have stuck them over and over and over.

I cannot recommend this book enough for providing some basis of understanding of the vodou religoin and culture. It's an understanding I wish more people had.

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

The problem that you read in Haiti right  now with Voodoo is that people have their traditions just like in any religion but because of the excessive number of corpses people don't want to bury their loved ones until they go through the voodoo ritual which can become a serious health problem , just imagine corpses on the sidewalks exposed to the sun the whole day , not a very healthy way of controlling the spreading of diseases, that is the main problem with voodoo right now in Haiti.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
0 Kudos

Well, in most cultures people are hesitant to bury loved ones without some sort of funeral service. That's certainly not unique to vodou. I have never heard of there being a long wait for funerals in Haiti. Do you have some sort of source for that?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Tradition requires a 3 day death watch not modernly unembalmed, so the spirit has time to leave to leave the body.

Frequent Contributor
soylentgeek
0 Kudos

CharlieG31 wrote:

The problem that you read in Haiti right  now with Voodoo is that people have their traditions just like in any religion but because of the excessive number of corpses people don't want to bury their loved ones until they go through the voodoo ritual which can become a serious health problem , just imagine corpses on the sidewalks exposed to the sun the whole day , not a very healthy way of controlling the spreading of diseases, that is the main problem with voodoo right now in Haiti.

Actually it's not the bodies all around that are the greatest threat to health at this point in Haiti. It's that they don't have clean water, sewage, or sanitation to carry away human waste. The diseases that reside in and can make people ill don't survive long after the host dies, so while very unpleasant to look at and to smell (especially in the heat), you're not at any increased risk of catching a disease from bodies being around as long as you're observing some simple sanitation and hygeine rules. You're not going to want to drink water that has decomposition happening in it, or to be handling the bodies without protecting yourself from the rats and other scavengers, but the bodies themselves aren't all that dangerous.
It's more important to not dump bodies by the thousands in mass graves out of a misplaced fear of pathogens, but to try to identify the dead so that people will actually know what became of their loved ones. Aside from that, the survivors need clean water, food, medicine and sanitation (particularly sewage) as those all have a much, much greater effect on controlling the spread of disease than the presence of corpses.