Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
0 Kudos

What religion websites or blogs do you read?

[ Edited ]

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR OWN WEBSITE OR BLOG. WHILE IT MAY BE FASCINATING AND POPULAR, YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT THE BEST JUDGE OF THAT, SO LET OTHER PEOPLE BRING IT UP IF THEY ARE FANS. THERE IS NO WAY FOR ME TO KNOW FOR SURE IF A PARTICULAR BLOG OR WEBSITE BELONGS TO YOU, SO THIS WILL BE DONE ON THE HONOR SYSTEM. PLEASE FOLLOW THIS RULE, THANKS!

What religion websites and blogs (other than this board) do you read? Share your most interesting finds with other book club members!

My personal favorite is the political/religious blog The Slacktivist. It is written by Fred Clark, a liberal evangelical journalist. His most common subject is the modern evangelical movement and his opinions on what they do right and do wrong. I find his writing almost always thoughtful and thought-provoking. He also is most well known for his years long, page-by-page dissection of the Left Behind books. You can find the start of that here (read from the bottom of the each page to the top, and then click "previous" to get to the next set of entries). He's been at it for seven years now, and it's pretty much all worth a read.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: What religion websites or blogs do you read?

[ Edited ]

He's been at it for seven years now, and it's pretty much all worth a read.

His blog or his dissection of the Left Behind books?  (Hopefully the former; while I appreciate someone doing the work of analyzing LaHaye's works, I can't imagine them being worth reading extensively by most of us unless we should be more concerned about LaHaye's writings than many of us are.)

Radosh wrote: "As I discovered when I asked Christians [evamgelical?] about it, the secular world's continued fascination with Left Behind is seen as a sign of how out of touch we are with evangelical culture." (p. 87)

I do not regularly read any religious blogs. Some may come to my attention from a newspaper or internet article.  I do make use of several Bible sites for various translations and receive Presbyterian Outlook as well as the calendar for Auburn Seminary events via email.  I also seem to frequently end up on the Catholic Encyclopedia New Advent site when searching for a specific piece of religious information, or my own denomination's PC(USA) site.  I am currently attending a seven week series on Islam at a local university program for seniors and  participated in Interfaith Programs co-sponsored in our community after 9/11.  I highly recommend well-run Interfaith Programs to anyone who has access to them -- and to consider creating one or supporting the creation of one if none seems to be availbable.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
Butch4HIM
0 Kudos

Re: What religion websites or blogs do you read?

There is only one that I ALWAYS read and it is a weekly post (Tuesdays). It is called "Abundant Life Now" (http://RobertLloydRussell.BlogSpot.com).  The great thing about it is that the topics are always crisply worded and interesting - sometimes fascinating.  Everything is based on relatively basic Christian topics but I almost always see something in a new way. 

I'm looking forward to sites which others read regularly.