Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger
0 Kudos

francine rivers

i have just read the first 2 books in her mark of the lion series and they were amazing!!!!

whats your favorite book she has written?

"but why's she got to go to the library?" -Harry
"because that's what Hermione does........When in doubt, go to the library." -Ron (chamber of secrets)
Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

Re: francine rivers

I absolutely loved Redeeming Love. I couldn't put it down. I haven't read The Mark Of the Lion series yet but they are in my TBR pile.
Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger
0 Kudos

i think i will read redeeming love next b/c you are the 3rd person that told me that was there favorite book she has written. thanks :]

you absolutly HAVE to read her mark of the lion series b/c it's amazing i havn't been able to put it down!!!

"because that's what Hermione does........When in doubt, go to the library." -Ron (chamber of secrets)
Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

I will move the Mark of the Lion series to the top of my huge TBR pile. I had a hard time reading another book after Redeeming Love. I didn't want it to end. Any other christian fiction authors you recommend? I like Karen Kingsbury and I think the first christian fiction books I read were by Janette Oke. Both are good authors too.
Beth

Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger
0 Kudos

i LOVE janette oke she is a really good author....i just LOVEEEE her love comes softly series!!!! robin lee hatcher is another really good author i just read her Wagered Heart a few weeks ago and i really liked it :]

Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

I'll have to keep an eye out for Robin Lee Hatcher. Another good book I read was My Heart Remembers by Kim Vogel Sawyer. Also Every Storm by Lori Wick. I think the Love Comes Softly series is my favorite Oke series.
Beth

Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger
0 Kudos

cool i'll have to check them out thanks
Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger
0 Kudos

i just read her Redeeming Love book and i LOVED it!!!

what other books by her are good besides the mark of the lion series?

Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

The only other Francine Rivers book that I have read was The Atonement Child. The book deals with very difficult subject matter. I'm not even sure I recommend it. I felt somewhat drained after reading it. I wish I could help you out more. I have heard Leota's Garden is good but I haven't read that one myself yet. I'm so glad you enjoyed Redeeming Love. I find myself recommending it alot!
Beth

els
Contributor
els
0 Kudos

I am so glad to find other Francine Rivers fans.  I have read almost all of her books.  I will rank them according to how I LOVE them:

#1 Redeeming Love (My all time favorite)

#2 Mark of the Lion Series 

#3 The Last Sin Eater (the movie is good too)

#4 Lineage of Grace

I agree with you retromom on "The Atonement Child".  If you go to Francine Rivers' website, the story is based on her mom's experience (if I remember it right).  I love how Francine Rivers give her readers a glimpse of other people's perspective and experience, a look at the other side of the story.  And the Shofar Blew gave me understanding of the falls of church leaders, priests or pastors; Leota's Garden made me aware of the needs, hopes and dreams of senior citizens. I just got the "Sons of Encouragement Series" - I'm sure these will be great readings!

New User
quillpen.ink
0 Kudos

i totally agree with you !

i just finished "an echo in the darkness" and it was amazing!

i cant wait to read "as sure as dawn"

so what one was your favorite so far!

torusthetiger wrote:

i have just read the first 2 books in her mark of the lion series and they were amazing!!!!

whats your favorite book she has written?

Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger
0 Kudos

a voice in the wind is my favorite in the mark of the lions series but redeming love is my favorite book that she has written :]

Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

I agree with you retromom on "The Atonement Child".  If you go to Francine Rivers' website, the story is based on her mom's experience (if I remember it right).  I love how Francine Rivers give her readers a glimpse of other people's perspective and experience, a look at the other side of the story.  And the Shofar Blew gave me understanding of the falls of church leaders, priests or pastors; Leota's Garden made me aware of the needs, hopes and dreams of senior citizens. I just got the "Sons of Encouragement Series" - I'm sure these will be great readings!

I didn't know that "The Atonement Child " was based on her mom's experience. I'll have to check her website out. I still have The Mark of the Lion series in my To Be Read pile! I really need to get to it. I like that her books are not cookie cutter books. They are all very different and address very different issues. It's nice to find other Francine Rivers fans!

Beth

New User
Fantasy_girl083
0 Kudos

Redeeming love hands down!!!!!!!!!!!

"I promise to love you forever-every single day of forever."

"Your life is an occasion...rise up to it."
New User
Lynnette_Bonner
0 Kudos

Francine Rivers is one of my favorites. I've read all of her book except the Lineage of Grace books based on the men - haven't made it to those yet. I'm excited about her new book, Her Mother's Hope, that is due out this April, I beleive. (Maybe May?) I think my favorite book of hers has to be the first in The Mark of the Lion Trilogy. But I would rank them all as 5 star books!

If you really like Christian historical fiction there is a new .ning that just started up not too long ago to discuss just that. The URL is: http://christianhistoricalfiction.ning.com/ . (A .ning is a social networking site that is usually focused around a certain narrow topic.)

Some of my other favorite books are:

Maire by Linda Windsor - a romance set in the early days of Ireland. A VERY fun read. (there are 2 more in the series.

The DMZ  by Jeanette Windle - a reporter goes to South America and is kidnapped by drug runners. Romantic suspense.

Silk  Under Eastern Stars  Kingscote, Vol. 3  - a romance set in India during colonial days.

I have tons more! :smileyhappy: but I won't list them all. :smileyhappy:

I'm also an author and my book is listed below.

Rocky Mountain Oasis 

A Christian historical romance.

New User
Tsmee100TS
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed Mark of the Lion series and Redeeming Love. They have been the best christian romance books I've read. I really want to find more christian romance novels but the other ones I have read don't seem to be match up to those books by Francine Rivers. I feel like the plot lines or character development are not paid enough attention. I would love to find another great christian romance novel, but am just doubtful I'll find one that I like. I am a fast reader...so length is nice. If you know of any christian romance books that grab the reader and bring them into the story while also having christian values please let me know! Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I am a fast reader...so length is nice. If you know of any christian romance books that grab the reader and bring them into the story while also having christian values please let me know! Thanks!

Tsmee -- you might consider exploring George Eliot's

Adam Bede  

or

North and South  by Elizabeth Gaskell

Neither will be as fast reads as Rivers, but the characterizations are complex. Some of us discussed Adam Bede this past January in a retreat where all of the participants had a religious bent in our backgrounds.  I have only started North and South (for the Literature by Women board), but it already has a father facing a crisis of faith that will effect his whole family.  N&S is very long!  Still, I much enjoy Gaskell's writing and subtle depictions of character and emotions and social actions (e.g.,Wives and Daughters ).  The stories are of another generation, but much is relevant to our human condition.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy