Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Sarasvati
0 Kudos

young witch

hello my name is sarasvati,

im 15 years old and i am a wiccan and i'd love to talk to people older about it and if you have any books that you think would be good for me to read please feel free to let me know.

thank you

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: young witch

Sarasvati wrote:

hello my name is sarasvati,

im 15 years old and i am a wiccan and i'd love to talk to people older about it and if you have any books that you think would be good for me to read please feel free to let me know.

thank you

Sure, not a Wiccan, but a pagan.

What kind of books were you looking for; spellbooks, mythology, cultural standpoints?

Contributor
EcclecticReader
0 Kudos

Try www.llewellyn.com.  Excellent starting point for books and also supplies.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

EcclecticReader wrote:
Try www.llewellyn.com.  Excellent starting point for books and also supplies.

Good publishing house, they do a good 35% of the pagan market in fact. But it would help to know what you're looking for, perhaps what you already have. Not all spellbooks are created equal, so to speak.

Inspired Contributor
Sarasvati
0 Kudos

What kind of books were you looking for; spellbooks, mythology, cultural standpoints?

no i truley am a wiccan.

i wasnt looking for spell books or mythology more along the lines of historical books and culutral books

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Sarasvati wrote:

no i truley am a wiccan.

i wasnt looking for spell books or mythology more along the lines of historical books and culutral books

I think Tigger meant that she is pagan not Wiccan, not you. Maybe try Scott Cunningham

The New Encyclopedia of the Occult is good for reference

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

Sarasvati wrote:

no i truley am a wiccan.

I think Tigger meant that she is pagan not Wiccan, not you. Maybe try Scott Cunningham

The New Encyclopedia of the Occult is good for reference

Bingo, sorry for any confusion there.

oh then defiately  the latest version of Margot Adler's "Drawing down the Moon"

Drawing down the Moon 

You can skip the spells and go for the main topics in Star Hawk's "Dreaming the Dark" 

Dreaming in the Dark

for a start... 

New User
witchy_woman77769
0 Kudos

I would also ask the question what are you interested in? There are many paths. Maybe being new to this you may want to keep an open mind and read many different paths so you can determine what fits your needs. What I have found is wicca is a great label but you may learn it is not your path, maybe druid or shaman or maybe wicca is for you.

I to have classified my belief system as pagan and not wiccian. I have read many books by Ann Moura For a green path. She also has a great book "Origins of Modern Witchcraft: The Evolution of a World Religion."

Many of these other books are also really good. I own and have read most of them. I simple search using www.bing.com will bring back an offer whelming amount of topics. Maybe study each one carefully.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Witchcraft

Folks here interested in witchcraft might like to listen to this BBC Radio 4 broadcast on the history of these beliefs. 
New User
MorganLaMotte
0 Kudos

I am also pagan, not wiccan, but one of the books that I found very comforting and informative as I was beginning my transition was All Women Are Healers.  It isn't specifically wiccan, but covers a broad number of healing tecniques and traditions.  Enjoy.
New User
JoyceNY
0 Kudos

Dear Young,

Lots of good suggestions people here have offered you, to which I would like to add: Witch Crafting: a spiritual guide to making magic, by  Phyllis Curott.  Broadway Books, 2001.  ISBN 0-7679-0825-2. 

Good luck in your pursuit.

Inspired Contributor
Belwulfs
0 Kudos

Hey no offense but WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS A WICCAN AND PAGAN IS SPELT P-E-G-A-N. Like I said no offense. And if you mean witch hope you know what that is if not look it up. Or I'll tell you from a Christian view

Witch- Someone that has sold their soul to the devil or santan for supernatural powers.

Npw I'm not trying to be rude or tell you your belifs are wrong but I'm not sure what your talking about so please explain.

P.S.. I wear a cross regularly so don't try nothing witchy.

:mantongue:

War... War never changes.
Inspired Contributor
Belwulfs
0 Kudos

Ohhh your looking for historical books look for Salem Witch Trials of 1692. That's pretty historical.

TiggerBear

Belwulfs wrote:

Hey no offense but WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS A WICCAN AND PAGAN IS SPELT P-E-G-A-N. Like I said no offense. And if you mean witch hope you know what that is if not look it up. Or I'll tell you from a Christian view

Witch- Someone that has sold their soul to the devil or santan for supernatural powers.

Npw I'm not trying to be rude or tell you your belifs are wrong but I'm not sure what your talking about so please explain.

Wow are you ignorant!

Please start here for Wicca

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

and here for pagan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagan

No, it is not spelled pegan.

Just for a start...

Since not even Satanists sell their souls.

Since your definition involves nothing beyond Catholic propaganda.

Since a cross protects you from ... (chuckle, sorry but it's just soo absurd) spells as much as my pentagram protects me from your prayers.

Even though you may have meant no offense, you defiantly did offend. Go do a little research, if you want clarification, feel free to ask. Just don't break your own commandments to do it.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Belwulfs wrote:

Belwulfs -- Well. in answer to your other thread, my first comment would be, find someone who can tell you face-to-face some of the ways this post errs relative to your objectives to bear witness.

And, yes, I probably am being rude, so don't take me for an example either.  The old adage about actions speaking louder than words may be trite, but is probably still worth considering.

I find a church community and prayer my strongest supports for bearing witness, along with openess to the presence of the Holy Spirit, which I usually find present wherever two or more are gathered together.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Belwulfs
0 Kudos

Hey I just wanted to know what it was and I just stated all I know about witches and not saying she sold her soul or anything. I just need to clear some things up. And I apologize if I offended anyone that was not my Intention. So sorry and I guess you were right on how to spell pagan. So again I am sincerely sorry can you guys and girls forgive me.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Belwulfs wrote:

Hey I just wanted to know what it was and I just stated all I know about witches and not saying she sold her soul or anything. I just need to clear some things up. And I apologize if I offended anyone that was not my Intention. So sorry and I guess you were right on how to spell pagan. So again I am sincerely sorry can you guys and girls forgive me.

Ok

Just try to remeber that all that you know before, was a nothing but a insult.The heavy nasty insult that gave several people a "reason" why it was ok to kill millions over 500 years. We call it the Burning Times. We are kind of touchy about it.

Did you read those posts in Wiki? Do you have questions?

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

P:  What does 'bearing witness' mean? 

Inspired Contributor
Belwulfs
0 Kudos

Sorry I meant no offense.