Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: young witch

Choisya wrote:

P:  What does 'bearing witness' mean? 

bear witness - provide evidence for
Sorry to take so long to respond, Choisya, but I had to go looking for a definition.  The words just came to me as the "fit" for what I wanted to say.  The locations and examples I got when I googled the term are insightful -- such as journalists "bearing witness" to the Iraq war or people receiving training so as to be able to "bear witness" to the reality of the Holocaust.
The elaboration comes awkwardly for me, but from a faith perspective, the words "bearing witness" refer to the ways I am able to communicate the validity of faith to others, drawing on my own experiences and knowledge and training to do so, experiences which include those of the communities in which I participate or of which I am aware.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks P.  I hadn't thought about the legal definition etc.  So it is trying to prove to someone that something or other is true?   What sort of evidence is given in the instance of faith?

Choisya wrote:

Sorry to take so long to respond, Choisya, but I had to go looking for a definition.  The words just came to me as the "fit" for what I wanted to say.  The locations and examples I got when I googled the term are insightful -- such as journalists "bearing witness" to the Iraq war or people receiving training so as to be able to "bear witness" to the reality of the Holocaust.
The elaboration comes awkwardly for me, but from a faith perspective, the words "bearing witness" refer to the ways I am able to communicate the validity of faith to others, drawing on my own experiences and knowledge and training to do so, experiences which include those of the communities in which I participate or of which I am aware.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Choisya -- I personally tend to steer clear of providing evidence regarding what is "true" or "truth", except in limited domains where the criteria for judgement can be agreed upon.

I am talking about something fuzzier, more ineffable.  Within my experience, "bearing witness" involves making decisions about how to use one's time, what stands to take on issues, what missions to support and how, what acts of charity to perform, how to be out into the world.  And now I have probably totally overstepped what I can say with any clarity on a forum like this.  I will only add that some say both the Christian Church and the Muslim Brotherhood, among many other faiths, gained and sustained their followers because of the support they extended to each other and to those in need.

These lyrics to "We Are Called" are perhaps naively optimistic, but they suggest the vision that a faith community can provide or at least remind its members -- sometimes just provide a platform for discussion and decisions on what such means "in action."  Here is another, "We Are An Offering," that expresses similar concepts of dedication.

Choisya wrote:

Thanks P.  I hadn't thought about the legal definition etc.  So it is trying to prove to someone that something or other is true?   What sort of evidence is given in the instance of faith?

Choisya wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks P.  Too esoteric for me.  I expect my non-belief gets in the way. 

New User
Samanthajod
0 Kudos

I am currently a student of this craft. I have found that Silver RavenWolf is a very interesting and interactive author. You should check out her series of books, they seem to keep you in the loop. She has from beginners to advanced. Her books also give you reference books to what she talks about.

Contributor
EcclecticReader
0 Kudos

I am not offended in the least by your post.  I happen to be a christian too.  I believe in God.  I also practice Wicca and practice some of the rituals.  It doesn't mean my soul is the devil's.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  God owns my soul.  The three fold law and harm none are a big contributor to my beliefs.  I am a very diverse person.  I believe in a lot of things that you may not believe in.  Just remember that every story you have read and heard, has some grain of truth in it.  Seeing is not neccessarily believing.  It all depends on how open your mind is.  Again, I am not offended by your post but try to open your mind a little more to the "unexplainable and unbelievable".